Macronutrients for a hardgainer. What should I do?

Options
Ok, so for about a month now I've been averaging around 4500 a day (one week about 3000 calories a day due to personal crap). My food diary is open to public and I've listed the most important nutrients I think.

In about 4 weeks I went from 116 to 136 all the while hitting the weights 4 times a week at the gym. I have a feeling I'm about to plateau on weight gain because the first 15 pounds I gained was the first two weeks that I started gorging myself, and the last two weeks I only gained about 5 pounds.

I realize for me it's going to be more than a year before I'll see significant changes from my starting point, but I want to make sure I'm doing all that I can to make the process quickly as possible.

So my concern is how is my diet? I look at my diary and when I eat 5000 calories usually I only average 600 carbs, 150 fat, and 150 protein? Should I try to increase all those 3 nutrients?

Replies

• teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    IF your going to continue eating 5000 calories per day, you simply need to change your macro ratios to the following:

50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats

this puts you at 625 grams of carbs per day, 375 grams of protein and 111 grams of Fat. This way your minimizing fat gain and optimizing muscle mass.

I think your platueing because of the high fat intake and your body is starting to catch up to THAT aspect of your nutrition. Hope this helps.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for about a month now I've been averaging around 4500 a day (one week about 3000 calories a day due to personal crap). My food diary is open to public and I've listed the most important nutrients I think.

In about 4 weeks I went from 116 to 136 all the while hitting the weights 4 times a week at the gym. I have a feeling I'm about to plateau on weight gain because the first 15 pounds I gained was the first two weeks that I started gorging myself, and the last two weeks I only gained about 5 pounds.

I realize for me it's going to be more than a year before I'll see significant changes from my starting point, but I want to make sure I'm doing all that I can to make the process quickly as possible.

So my concern is how is my diet? I look at my diary and when I eat 5000 calories usually I only average 600 carbs, 150 fat, and 150 protein? Should I try to increase all those 3 nutrients?

Why on earth are you attempting to gain that fast and what about this makes you believe you're a hardgainer?
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    IF your going to continue eating 5000 calories per day, you simply need to change your macro ratios to the following:

50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats

this puts you at 625 grams of carbs per day, 375 grams of protein and 111 grams of Fat. This way your minimizing fat gain and optimizing muscle mass.

I think your platueing because of the high fat intake and your body is starting to catch up to THAT aspect of your nutrition. Hope this helps.

Agreed. Drop your carbs slightly, increase protein and cut your fats. You definitely want a higher carb intake, but you also need to make sure you get enough protein as well.