Sleeping pills and carb cravings :(

Options
Hi. I recently started eating better, and have successfully lost weight healthfully for the first time in my life (I had eating disorders when younger). I started a sleeping pill four nights ago (Mirtazapine), as I was having a hard time sleeping at night, making me exhausted during the day. Since I started it, I'm eating about an extra 350 calories a day, all at night. I am getting terrible cravings for carbs and sugar. One site said that this drug "will make you eat sugar straight out of the bag". Does anyone know of any sleeping pills that do not tend to cause weight gain? I'm getting off this drug tomorrow. I'm also horribly drowsy during the day.

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do know that when I worked in the nursing home... we gave mirtazapine as a appetite stimulant...

try melatonin
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I take ambien when I can't sleep (I'm a shift worker) and I haven't noticed any diet related side effects. If you want to try a natural remedy try meletonin.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was on Lunesta for awhile and I didn't notice any craving or weight related side effects. Maybe that would be a better fit for you? I also second the Melatonin suggestion. My son's pediatrician has him taking that to counteract his ADD meds at bedtime, and it works well for him - plus it's available in the vitamin/supplement aisle rather than needing a prescription. Good luck to you!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i take tamazipan and i have no probs
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I personally hate that drug. Amitrityline works better for me, but trazadone, lunesta, and ambien are also sleep meds. Just watch the ambien, it makes some people go psychotic.
  • friendthegirl
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the responses. My doctor wants to put me on Trazadone next, I took it once before, and can't remember why I got off of it. I think I'll try Melatonin first though.

Elf_Princess, does Amitrityline make you feel groggy at all? Another problem I'm having with the current drug is I feel all zombiefied during the day.
  • Helensedge
    Helensedge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm on mirtazapine and have gained about 8lb in the last couple of months, my weight has generally been stable all my life until now so it is really annoying, and I am finding it hard to shift the weight. If it is purely a sleeping tablet you need then ask your doctor about zopiclone, I've never had any side effects, however like all tablets purely prescribed for sleep it will only be prescribed short term.
    Good luck!