Rude housemates #2 :(

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Well yet more house dramas from me.

Ok: yesterday I text one of my flatmates as every time I buy bread it disappears out of the freezer. He denied it to my face (came bolting down the stairs) saying it wasn't him. I said ok fair enough, maybe I made a mistake.

Fast forward to today - I go in the freezer to defrost one of the ciabatta rolls I bought the other day to make my lunch for work tomorrow. Yesterday there were 4 - lo and behold, today there are 3. AFTER the previous conversation we had yesterday. I KNOW for a fact it's not the other 2 housemates. This guy is broke, which I get we've all been there (or are there, I'm a student) - and I said to him at least ask! It's manners!

Now I don't know what to do. I've confronted him, he denies it, and yet it keeps happening. Also went to get my peanut butter tonight to put in my shake, and what do you know... that was empty too :(

Ideas?!

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I really do. I've been there, having to live with other people before I could afford my own place, and them eating your stuff, not cleaning up after themselves, being noisy late at night etc etc etc. It's horrible. Have you thought of trying to find lockable tuppaware containers you can put food in securely?
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Put a lock on your cupboard/freezer drawer? Stick a sly camera aimed at the fridge ro catch him in the act? Then he can't deny it

Or use next loan to buy a mini fridge and keep everything in your room :3

OR hide the bread and food in an empty Always packet or tampon box or something and tell him you like the pads/tampons to be kept fresh and cool for when you need them, then he shall give that drawer a wide berth!!

It just might work
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Get "Lunch Locker" code-locked tuppaware. It's the way forward.

No matter how broke he is, he is still a rude, lying thief.
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Options

Ok: yesterday I text one of my flatmates as every time I buy bread it disappears out of the freezer. He denied it to my face (came bolting down the stairs) saying it wasn't him. I said ok fair enough, maybe I made a mistake.

Fast forward to today - I go in the freezer to defrost one of the ciabatta rolls I bought the other day to make my lunch for work tomorrow. Yesterday there were 4 - lo and behold, today there are 3. AFTER the previous conversation we had yesterday. I KNOW for a fact it's not the other 2 housemates. This guy is broke, which I get we've all been there (or are there, I'm a student) - and I said to him at least ask! It's manners!

Now I don't know what to do. I've confronted him, he denies it, and yet it keeps happening. Also went to get my peanut butter tonight to put in my shake, and what do you know... that was empty too :(

Ideas?!

I would go to your nearest charity shop and buy a small fridge freezer and put it in your room. If he's stupid enough to go in there and take your food I'd call a house meeting with everyone and confront him directly infront of the others. If he can't live by the house rules vote to get him out. Been there myself don't take the *kitten*.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    My sister had the same problem with her ex house mate. She was not the only one in the shared kitchen and in the end they each had their own cupboard which she locked and they had to put food in the fridge/freezer in lockable boxes.
  • NettyIOM
    NettyIOM Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Ideas?!

I would go to your nearest charity shop and buy a small fridge freezer and put it in your room. If he's stupid enough to go in there and take your food I'd call a house meeting with everyone and confront him directly infront of the others. If he can't live by the house rules vote to get him out. Been there myself don't take the *kitten*.

I agree with this. Although, getting another fridge/freezer is not going to help with your household electricity bills. If it continues to happen, and you're absolutely sure it's not your other flatmates, then you should have a group meeting and contront him.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    That sucks, I have a housemate who won't admit he misses the toilet bowl, but at least that doesn't cost me food (don't ever get between me and food).

I think discuss it with the other housemates if there are others, if food keeps disappearing something has to change and you shouldn't have to resort to locking up your food.
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nick something from him then deny it. He'll soon stop - you'll find these people are usually the most selfish! LOL
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I've made the other two aware... one of my housemates said she's noticed her stuff disappearing quickly and thought it was her imagination haha.

Well all us girls are aware now, so that's a good thing. Sad that it's got to that though!

I think we're due a flat meeting with the community manager next week so my housemate says we should bring it up. The irony is this guy isn't a student... he has 3 jobs!
  • bryonysten
    bryonysten Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi
    I assume you label everything so he can't play innocent?
    I think the suggestions of everyone else to get lockable storage is great, also label everything in really big letters so that he can't pretend its his should someone else be around. I know people that used to mark the line on the milk in the fridge when I was at university, but I also know people that would have some and then top up to the line with water!!
    Its really annoying, but you could also keep all non fridge food in your room too? Not ideal I know, but its difficult with a thief. Lockable cupboards and lockable tupperware sound like the way forward.
    Good luck
    B
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Are you 100% sure it's not one of the others? If so, how do you know?

Personally I would be buying something that I know they like to steal and putting laxatives in it...then let justice take its course. This also provides you with proof of who it is when they stumble in moaning about a bad stomach...
  • Kara_xxx
    Options
    Personally I would be buying something that I know they like to steal and putting laxatives in it...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeh I don't understand how you know it's not the other two.
    And I also don't get why you texted him instead of asking him face to face, especially if he was only upstairs.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options

Ideas?!

I agree with this. Although, getting another fridge/freezer is not going to help with your household electricity bills. If it continues to happen, and you're absolutely sure it's not your other flatmates, then you should have a group meeting and contront him.
    ^^^ i agree, if he keeps stealing from you, then he needs to move out its not fair...good luck
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    Put a post it note in right on top/ in front that says, Seriously? or I Know You Are Eating My Bread, Look At You. I did that with one of my ex housemates and they got so mad they confronted me about it which then I was able to say, but were you going for my food? Of course that wasn't THEIR point but it pushed them over the edge of shame and they stopped. But I get really b*tchy about my stuff with repeat offenders, so that might be too passive aggressive for you.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Put a load of salt/vinegar/laxatives in the stuff you keep in the cupboards (keep a clean supply) and sit back and watch him deny it after tasting THAT.
  • dj_chalky
    dj_chalky Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely agree with the laxities idea because you get to kill two birds with one stone, it proves it's him AND he won't be doing it again!
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    Just set up a spy camera somewhere, and when you record him stealing it, confront him with the others and tell him to get out. If he's stealing your food, he's probably stealing your roommates food too.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Get "Lunch Locker" code-locked tuppaware. It's the way forward.

No matter how broke he is, he is still a rude, lying thief.

Where can you buy the Lunch Lockers?
    Sounds like a great idea!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Can you keep it in your room? Lock your door if necessary.