frozen entrees

Options
I usally eat a frozen entree for lunchtime but here recently I want to try something new -
can anyone give me some ideas on some good frozen entrees that are good for lunch calories? other than sprite zero - coke zero or rootbeer what other kind of drink carries no calories? I am new to finding the best deals with foods and drinks . . .

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Watch the sodium on the frozen meals. I try and cook extra for dinner each night so I can have a left-over type lunch within the week. :smile:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with jstar, the sodium in frozen entrees is high and there are all kinds of artificial flavorings and chemicals in them. Fresh whole food is best AND more filling. If you absolutely have to eat frozen entrees due to time constraints or whatever I would say stick with one made by Kashi or Amy's Organic... IMO though these are more expensive than bringing, say, a chicken wrap or a sandwich, and not as filling.

As for low calorie drinks, I like water with lemon or lime, or you could try unsweetened decaf iced tea, or decaf hot tea as the weather gets cooler. The diet soda leads to bloating and water retention and has the same chemically altered issues as the processed frozen entrees. Also the caffeine is bad if you are trying to hydrate yourself with lots of water.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    1) I cook an 'extra' meal on Sunday, and stick it in those little ziploc tubs and freeze them for lunches. I used to always bring a Lean Cuisine or something, but when I gained knowledge about nutrients on this site, I realized they are no good for you!

I have found cooking like this to be fun - and I always hated to cook. And it certainly is more delicious than the store bought stuff.

The first week you either cook two meals, or get stuck eating the same stuff every day - but if you make more than 5 entrees then you can begin to switch it up every week.

2) I also purchase different types of melon and fruit and make a huge fruit salad on Sunday - I take some of that with me every day too.

3) Other than doing it yourself, the only other recommendation I have are the little Tuna and salmon cups that they sell. They are 80 calories and 14 grams of protein! Not too bad on sodium. I keep them in my desk because they do not require refrigeration.

4) Kashi TLS Fruit and Grain bars - very good, very flavorful, 120 calories, 21 carbs, 4g fiber and 4g protein. Also in my desk all the time.
  • greenerme
    Options
    i have been eating amy's brand frozen meals... (they are natural / organic, some are vegan) I had a black bean enchilada for lunch... but I try to limit the pre-made meals to days that I don't have time to make something fresh, or have leftovers :flowerforyou:
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I admit that I eat more of the frozen entrees that I should. I have to say that the lean cuisine spa collection are pretty good and they have whole grains. Avoid the ones with a lot of sugar and keep track of your sodium and you should be fine. I think that changing your habits is a gradual process and eating frozen entrees eases you into the clean eating. It's certainly not the greatest thing you can eat. but it is probably better than what you were eating. Try for the ones with whole grains. And then start substituting frozen entrees with a salad a few times a week. I find that is a good way of easing yourself into eating healthy. It has worked pretty well for me. As far as calorie free drinks I like green tea sweetened withtruvia or for a low calorie you can sweeten green tea with 100% percent mango, pinapple, or pear juice.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I often make a huge green salad with lots of other veggies at the beginning of the week, and then for lunch each day I bring that and add a leftover of whatever meat we had the night before (a piece of chicken or steak or what have you). If I don't have left over meat kicking around, I grab a can of tuna to add. I just eat it as a salad, but if you like you could throw it in a wrap and eat it that way. I sprinkle a TBSP of crumbled blue cheese instead of dressing. I almost always have an apple for desert. I always have extra fruit in case I get hungry.

I have chickens so I always have eggs. If nothing else I boil a couple of eggs and grab some fruit, or a slice of bread for toast. Good luck!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I cook up a whole bunch of chicken breasts on the weekend and put them in baggies (1/2 breast each). Each evening I prepare a baggie full of veggies...celery, carrots, broccoli, radishes, peppers and take a small container of hummus.

It's either that or leftovers.

As for the low cal drinks, I drink water ( sometimes witha wdge of lemon, or herbal tea. No chemicals added.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I cook up a bunch of things that are easy to mix together during the week for several meals. Store the big containers in the fridge at home. Throw together small containers to take to work each day.

- 2 cups of brown rice, in a rice cooker
    - 1 lb. package of ground turkey
    - frozen chicken tenders
    - chicken or turkey sausage
    - frozen stir fry veggies from Costco
    - pre-packaged organic greens
    - chopped up salad fixings like cukes, onion, tomatoes etc.
    - scrambled eggs (easy to cook in the a.m.)

I gave up on even "healthy" frozen entrees when you consider the expense and the crazy amounts of sodium. Even when I don't have time to cook, I try to grab fresh ingredients or a can of no salt tuna.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat too many frozen entrees, but I know it can be difficult to make full meals each day. For myself, I know that frozen entrees sometimes save me from having to use our cafeteria at work, which hardly has any healthy options at all.

I LOVE Amy's frozen meals (the frozen burritos, and the black bean veggie enchiladas are outstanding). I also like the Healthy Choice All Natural entrees because they have a lot of vegetarian options and use whole grains. They also don't use any preservatives. The portabella marsala is delicious!

I think we are all trying to make the best choices possible at any given moment. If eating frozen meals helps you stay on track, that is great. It is certainly healthier than hitting a drive through, and it is great portion control for those of us (me!!) that have issues with overeating. I am working at eating more whole foods, but I know that the changes I am making in my life are going to be gradual, so that I can stick to them. Best of luck to you!
  • JERRI5672
    Options
    thank you very much ladies! Those are all really good advice! Its great to have people hear to listen and keep you going . . .!!!!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. I love MFP for the same reason. :smile:

Keep going on the journey towards good health and fitness... we are all here doing the same!

:flowerforyou: