PCOS coming back wit ha vengeance and ruining my good news

I couldn't find the original PCOS that was started since the forums don't really have a "search" option so I decided to post this here. I've had PCOS since I was 14 which among many other hormonal/abnormal hair growth problems , excessive gain weight in a short period of time on top of making it nearly impossible to even lose the smallest bit of weight , I stopped having my period completely.

Over the years I've seen a gynecologist , endocrinologist, a gyno/endocrinologist an accupuncturist , and an naturopath/endocrinologist . I've had my glucose level tested, adrenal gland and thyroid. I've been on any number of combination of birth control and diabetic medication on top of drinking herbs and acupuncture. I've been on vitamins and herbal supplements instead of birth control. Nothing helped. Nothing worked.

I've had occasional spotting when it came to my period throughout the years , but rarely if ever an actual period. On April 27th of this year, I finally got a semi-normal, very light period, but it lasted until May 27 and on June 10th I got it again, but this time much heavier. It hasn't gone away yet and is showing no sign of slowing down.

I went to see a new gynecologist and had a blood panel and pap and intravaginal sonogram done and she told me that for whatever reason, my endometrial lining is actually shedding itself like when you have a normal period. This could be my body trying to normalize after all these years or PCOS rearing its ugly head again, just to mock me , with yet another issue. The gyno said that with people that have PCOS, sometimes this happens , where they will bleed and bleed for months on end, this is normal for my condition. It made me both angry and disappointed where I was relieved and over joyed before.

She strongly recommended going on the pill though. She told me it was unnecessary for me to have a period or even a normal one -I don't want to misquote her, but I think she didn't just mean for someone in my condition , but for a woman in general-which goes against everything I've read and come to believe. Seriously, what the **** is this with docs trying to tell you that you don't need to have a normal period to be healthy or for your body to function properly. If we didn't require a normal period, then we , as women wouldn't be getting one , from nature. Make me just want to bang my head against the wall.

My main concern is that the bleeding is ongoing. I don't know if it will be like this always, where I bleed the whole month. I don't know if the bleeding will ever stop and no one else telling me anything. My doc said that if it doesn't in a few months, I should make another appointment and get a prescription to go on the pill, but ladies, I'm terrified! I just got back on MFP and I don't want to gain back all the weight I lost. When I was on the pill I was moody, irritable and I gained weight like crazy. Orthotrycyclin gave me 20LBs extra in 1 month. Yasmin made me go crazy , literally. I was crying ever 2 seconds for no reason. You could say "door knob" and I would burst into tears (I was also on antidepressant meds at the time which conflicted with the Yasmin, but still) . Low Estren -24 made me moody and dizzy and nauseous all the damn time.

I don't really know what to do, I don't want to keep bleeding. It's the summer damnit! I want to swim and wear dresses and not stuff myself with pads that feel like diapers or tampons for that matter, but I don't want to start taking something that's going to make it even more difficult for me to lose. I also don't want to interrupt the natural cycle of my body if it's trying to jump start itself.

I would gladly appreciate some support and/or advice. Feel free to share your experiences. I need all the help I can get!

Replies

• sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    I have PCOS too. The only thing that works for me is the pill "Cilest" , all of the others (especially Dianette) have failed me. Spotting at the moment due to Keto but went to the doc and she said it was normal. It's just something we have to live with hun, and the LCHF diet works for us best because of the way it handles our insulin resistance. I hope you feel better about it soon cysta x
  • Got2believe
    Got2believe Posts: 31 Member
    I have PCOS and the only thing I've found is using a ketogenic diet (LCHF - low carb high fat). I've been following it pretty strictly for the past few months and my cycle is regular! (35 days, 35 days, 30 days). The first few months (and the fact i didn't follow it well) were tricky but my cycle is more regular now then ever, and its bearable (don't talk to me about PMS though... mine is the worst)

basically i went from skipping periods for up to 9 months, then bleeding nonstop and heavy for 2-3 weeks to bleeding an average of 5 days, heavy at first, but not as bad.

The ketogenic diet would be my recommendation for this: but, as we are friends in real life, and you have told me how you don't think you could ever do my diet, then I do not know what to recommend to you. If you ever wanted to really try it, and I seriously mean, no sugar, no gluten, low carbs - I could send you a lot of references and recipes on how to do it. But whether you do or not, its up to you.