What the Heck...so discouraged!

Options
2»

Replies

• jeenim
    jeenim Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - no matter what - stick with this. It will all be OK in the long run - get less focused on time and a quick fix and more focused on getting healthier and fitter. As your body composition changes fat will burn more easily. I agree with others about measurements - take measurements and let your shrinking body size spur you on - not the scales!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not eating more. I usually use a measuring cup, but I will look into a food scale. I'm set to lose 1lb a week and it's been happening except for this 3rd week. The first 2 weeks I had a back injury, so just sat around for 2 weeks and STILL lost weight. This last week I actually added long hilly walks to the mix and gained?! What the heck?!

Most people actually gain a little weight when they first start a new exercise program because sore muscles absorb water to help them heal. Keep at it and your body will start cooperating soon.
  • amandab1669
    amandab1669 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I learned a hard lesson with the scale..... I now take measurements to see how I am progressing. I have not lost a single pound over 30 + days of logging food and exercise, but I did loose a total of 7 inches. Of course it isn't instant since measurements should be spaced out 3 to 4 weeks. I do still weigh weekly but try to not judge and get discouraged since inches are coming off.

Don't be too hard on yourself about 2 lbs that isnt much at all and it could easily be water retention. The best thing to do is take measurements and use that and the way your clothes fit to measure your progress. The scale can be so deceiving especially if you are not watching your sodium intake. Keep it ip and stay committed and before you know it the inches will melt away and the scale will follow
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not eating more. I usually use a measuring cup, but I will look into a food scale. I'm set to lose 1lb a week and it's been happening except for this 3rd week. The first 2 weeks I had a back injury, so just sat around for 2 weeks and STILL lost weight. This last week I actually added long hilly walks to the mix and gained?! What the heck?!

Most people actually gain a little weight when they first start a new exercise program because sore muscles absorb water to help them heal. Keep at it and your body will start cooperating soon.

I'm pretty sure it's this. Think about what happens when you sprain your ankle - that area swells with fluid, right? Same basic thing happens with our muscle tissues. When they're used more, little tears occur in the fibers and so water is retained as part of the healing process. It's not as noticible as a swollen ankle because the fluid is spread out over a large area but it's the same principle. As the body adjusts and heals, the water will be released

Also, if you're not already tracking sodium intake, make sure to add that to your food tracker. A day or two of high sodium (and not enough water to counter balance) can really throw off the weigh in. And of course make sure you're drinking plenty of water!

p.s. it'd not muscle gain - that takes more time, effort and specific diet.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public?
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I had the same probelm- the first few weeks I was exercising I wasn't losing anything! So discouraging but I did not give up and kept logging everything that went in my mouth- measured to the gram- got my HRM batteries updated- and now ...in one week I have lost 3 pounds!

Keep at it and don't give up~ it will work if you work it :)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like- as I believe we are all here to support each other :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Could it be hormonal? I have my hormones checked by saliva testing once a year, it's made a world of difference to check and balance these levels.
  • nlm74
    nlm74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the advice and support. I weighed in this week (so hard not to be a slave to the scale) and have lost 4lbs since last. I've done nothing different so it must have been water weight or maybe sodium intake, whatever. Feeling great and motivated to try exercising again since my back injury so hopefully the lbs will just shed off.

Have a great day everyone!
  • LKM5555
    LKM5555 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I was feel the SAME way today. I've been under 1500 (avg ~1300) calories for 7 days and have gone to the gym every day for 7 days doing cardo and weights, and most nights have walked 1 mile in the evening and I've lost barely ANYTHING!! I had lost 2.6 lbs and this morning was back up a lbs. GRR. I'm planning not to record my weight but once a week due to the fluctuation but it really depresses me to see this going in the wrong direction.
  • alikrorp225
    Options
    Toss out your scale!!!! It is the biggest liar on the planet!!!!! Do you feel better? Do you have more energy? Are your jeans fitting better? Do you feel pride for treating your body better? Focus on these positive things, exercise and eat clean. You are making progress, the scale is the devil on your shoulder telling you you're not! Knock him off!!!!!!

^^^This. My biggest struggle has been against the scale. I'm addicted. I check my weight every day morning and night. It's ridiculous. I've decided that on July 1, I'm going to (re)start the 30 day shred and only check my weight and measurements every 10 days. Then after that, only every two weeks on the scale. I'm also planning on getting rid of my electronic scale and getting a doctor's-type scale.

All this being said--don't give up! We've all been there and felt like giving up. You CAN do this. Just keep reminding yourself that you CAN. If you need a friend on MFP to support you, feel free to add me. I lost quickly at first and have since rode the scale up and down for the past three weeks. I refuse to give in to the discouragement! I've seen too many success stories on here to know it can be done. Stay with it! :)