Breakfast

Options

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My sister had me try what she eats for breakfast and I'm hooked!! Its 1/2c. vanilla greek yogurt, a whole sliced banana, 1/8c. diced walnuts, 1/2tbsp of honey and cinnamon!! So filling and fast!! :)
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it. I don't like it - it makes me feel ill, so I don't put myself through it. I found out about intermittent fasting here and that is a natural state for me. I'm quite happy not to eat all through the day and just eat one meal.

I also workout at the gym in the mornings, hard - it doesn't affect me in the slightest - I like the feeling of not having to process food whilst I'm working.

Do what you want to do - it's your body, your health - but if something is making you feel ill, it's not helping you with your goals. There are many roads to the same goal - pick the one that works best for YOU.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. Never have been good at choking down food when I really don't want to. I have recently turned to drinking protein shakes. I find I can drink a protein shake in the morning with my coffee and that gives me the energy I need to start my day and get working.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's okay not to eat breakfast, or very little of it, you don't NEED to eat it.

I never have any time in the morning to eat, so I'd much rather grab a 100 cal banana and be able to take some time to sit down and eat and actually enjoy my food, so I wait later for lunch :)
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What ever you do, PLEASE don't skip breakfast. There is a reason it is the most important meal of the day, because it kick-starts your metabolism. Just try drinking a glass of milk or something. Your body needs the nutrients to start your day. :wink:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    The only reason I eat anything for breakfast is because I have been struggling to make sure I meet my calories without resorting to junk. There is a big difference, for me, if I eat something even if it just a piece of fruit.

But that is all my personal preference. It won't be for everyone. There is no real scientific reason to eat breakfast. It is broscience that says it kick starts your metabolism. Just search the forums.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast! Toasted whole wheat slice of bread with some avocado, a few slices of tomato and red onion, some capers topped with some lox ? Add a cup of coffee? Oh, heaven!!!
    Take a slice of bread, spread just a touch of unsalted butter, strategically place a slice of low fat Swiss cheese on top of it.
    Make yourself a cup of coffee. Take a bite of your sandwich, sip your coffee, that is a perfect composition that tastes heavenly in your mouth ( the term is stolen from my friend)
  • MsMargie1116
    Options
    Try reading this...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/many-benefits-breakfast

Tells me, it's not "broscience" but fact...

Also, if you don't like "Breakfast" food, eat a non-breakfast food like a sandwich, last nights left overs, some soup. No one said you HAVE to eat something like eggs or oatmeal for breakfast... :smile:

After a while, you will get used to it and you will WANT breakfast. :wink:
  • MsMargie1116
    Options
    There is no real scientific reason to eat breakfast. It is broscience that says it kick starts your metabolism. Just search the forums.

So because it's in the forums it's fact? Right!!!
  • debnray4ever
    Options
    I agree. I too am not usually hungry in the morning so I wait until I have done my morning 4 mile walk and then eat. I am famished by then. :)
  • ChibiKittay
    Options
    I usually make my kids food early (7am) when they wake up and I eat more like 10am when they have a morning snack :) It's always some sort of fruit we have and I have toast or something similar with it.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue, because I love all breakfast food. But, if you're not hungry, maybe push breakfast off until later?

This. I'm not hungry when I first wake up, so I budget time into my morning routine, so I arrive to work about fifteen minutes earlier so I can peacefully eat something. I'm not a fan of "breakfast" stuff, so I just go with a sandwhich or something else healthy.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day...

Says who? On what authority and what data? I'm sure that Kellogs and General Mills think so and they have a vested interest in seeing that you think so also.

What did out paleolithic ancestors do for breakfast? Did they just pull something out from under a rock that they had stored there from the night before. Yesterdays hunt would probably not be to safe to eat unless it was winter in a northern clime. Fruit isn't always in season and before modern agriculture and hybrid species fruits tended to be small, hard and not that yummy (think crabapples vs Red Delicious )

Just saying that the people who brought us the food pyramid and the "whole grains" mantra and a much fatter nation are mostly the same people pushing breakfast.
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My first question for you is what time do you consider breakfast? You have to look at your day and see what fits for your lifestyle. I did find a yogurt that I love which is big for me. It is yo crunch with fruit and granola. It is 230 calories which is higher than many but since it is greek yogurt it has lots of protein. It is high in sugar but if you want the other sugar you eat, it will work.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Try reading this...

Also, if you don't like "Breakfast" food, eat a non-breakfast food like a sandwich, last nights left overs, some soup. No one said you HAVE to eat something like eggs or oatmeal for breakfast... :smile:

The reasons listed in that article have to do with the behavioral effects of eating breakfast, not any supposed metabolism boosting effect of breakfast.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    Try reading this...

The reasons listed in that article have to do with the behavioral effects of eating breakfast, not any supposed metabolism boosting effect of breakfast.

Thank you Sidesteal.

And yes, search these forums. There is plenty of posts that include quite a few links to actual scientific studies that show little to no metabolism boosting effects.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same! However, breakfast is supposed to be your biggest meal...I have noticed that when i do make myself eat a good breakfast, I am fuller alot longer and do not snakc barely at all throughout the day. I just make myself, you dont have to eat it all at once, I just eat it as im working. Try it out!
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    I am exactly the same! However, breakfast is supposed to be your biggest meal...I have noticed that when i do make myself eat a good breakfast, I am fuller alot longer and do not snakc barely at all throughout the day. I just make myself, you dont have to eat it all at once, I just eat it as im working. Try it out!

For me, it's the exact opposite of this. If I force myself to eat first thing in the morning, I tend to eat more throughout the day and feel hungrier than if I had waited until later. Tried greek yogurt for the first time and I can't say that I like it much. I know it's higher protein but seems too thick and has a strange texture. :P
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. I had to force myself to eat breakfast, but now I find that eating a good breakfast actually DOES make the rest of my day better! And who says you have to have "breakfast food" for breakfast? ;)
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. I had to force myself to eat breakfast, but now I find that eating a good breakfast actually DOES make the rest of my day better! And who says you have to have "breakfast food" for breakfast? ;)

I don't dislike 'breakfast food', I dislike the timing of when I'm 'supposed' to be eating it. I think if you're one of those people that loves to eat first thing in the morning, you should. If you're one of those people who doesn't like to do it, you shouldn't. I function perfectly with nothing until 3pm at the very earliest. I don't eat after 8pm either. Between 3pm and 8pm it's 'party time' but within my macros. :bigsmile: