Opposite of "plus sized model" -- Miss Universe

neeterskeeter
neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was writing in the Clean Eaters thread about the Miss Universe pageant and then I saw the thread about the "plus-sized" model and to me they are related.

Last night I was at the gym running my long run (I like to run it on the treadmill and watch TV ) and watching the Miss Universe pageant. Of course all of those women have such skinny, toned body, IMO some of them are way too skinny, but some of them look healthy skinny. None of them looked super defined which is more my taste/goal - like Jillian Michaels or Gwen Stefani. I was just running and wondering what these girls eat and what kind of work outs they do. I wonder if they eat clean. I wonder if they take in enough calories. I wonder if it is realistic for me to try to acheive a slim, toned body when I am a "regular person" with a full time job who likes to spend time with friends and family as much as I like to run and work out etc. Also, I am only 5'2", not model-sized 5'10" or whatever, and I have a naturally curvy/athlethic build, which I like.

I did a little research into the Miss Universe contestants - my favorite was Miss Australia, http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25961622-662,00.html

It says she eats a virtually carb-free diet. I don't know if this is realistic or healthy! It says that when she initially started competing she had too much "puppy fat to make the grade." Now she eats "for her blood type" -- what does that even mean?! :huh: It also says she works out for 1.5 hours, five days a week, which is similar to my work-out regine. But when she first started preparing for the pageant she worked out for 8 hours a day -- definitely not realistic!

She says she is writing a book for young girls who would like to be involved in beauty pageants, about how to eat healthy. She defended a contestant named Stephanie she beat for Miss Australia who had been criticized for being too skinny, and malnourished.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25378985-10388,00.html

Do you think that beauty pageants promote unhealthy dieting? I think that some of the women, including Rachael Finch - look skinny but still healthy, while some of them look too skinny.

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    I was writing in the Clean Eaters thread about the Miss Universe pageant and then I saw the thread about the "plus-sized" model and to me they are related.

Last night I was at the gym running my long run (I like to run it on the treadmill and watch TV ) and watching the Miss Universe pageant. Of course all of those women have such skinny, toned body, IMO some of them are way too skinny, but some of them look healthy skinny. None of them looked super defined which is more my taste/goal - like Jillian Michaels or Gwen Stefani. I was just running and wondering what these girls eat and what kind of work outs they do. I wonder if they eat clean. I wonder if they take in enough calories. I wonder if it is realistic for me to try to acheive a slim, toned body when I am a "regular person" with a full time job who likes to spend time with friends and family as much as I like to run and work out etc. Also, I am only 5'2", not model-sized 5'10" or whatever, and I have a naturally curvy/athlethic build, which I like.

I did a little research into the Miss Universe contestants - my favorite was Miss Australia, http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25961622-662,00.html

It says she eats a virtually carb-free diet. I don't know if this is realistic or healthy! It says that when she initially started competing she had too much "puppy fat to make the grade." Now she eats "for her blood type" -- what does that even mean?! :huh: It also says she works out for 1.5 hours, five days a week, which is similar to my work-out regine. But when she first started preparing for the pageant she worked out for 8 hours a day -- definitely not realistic!

She says she is writing a book for young girls who would like to be involved in beauty pageants, about how to eat healthy. She defended a contestant named Stephanie she beat for Miss Australia who had been criticized for being too skinny, and malnourished.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25378985-10388,00.html

Do you think that beauty pageants promote unhealthy dieting? I think that some of the women, including Rachael Finch - look skinny but still healthy, while some of them look too skinny.
    in a sense it does.....but eating a low carb no carb diet isnt really all that unrealistic....some peoples bodies can't handle carbs.....i try not to eat pastas, breads, and rice .....and i try to make all my carbs come from fruits and veggies....some peoples bodies do not burn carbs like others......like the saying goes everyone is different.....as far as the 8 hour work out......think of it like this ...modeling is their proffession.....say someone is going in for the S.A.T.s or some type of hard important test....u spend years studying little by little to enhance your brain just like she prob spends a little bit of time here or there enhancing her body and figure.......but when the time comes for u to actually take a VERY important test a lot of people prob spends hours upon hours studying trying to get all the information in just for that moment.......just like the model spends hours upon hours trying to get definition in the muscles along with all the bloatedness gone (if there is any)
    p.s. keep in mind some people are naturally very skinny.....who knows maybe some of these girls just have really fast metabolisms and cant gain weight like others so easily do
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    The blood type reference is another new diet: http://www.dadamo.com/
    For me, I don't really buy into it. But that's me.

As for what's realistic...
    I was reading an article in Health magazine about this actress who wanted to lose some weight, so she started seeing a trainer and a nutritionist. She had a little extra weight on her belly she wanted to lose. Her body fat was 24%--slightly higher than "ideal" according to my trainer (that being around 20-22% for women). Well, she got down to something like 18% and wanted to lose more, which her trainer and nutritionist approved! That really got to me. How can we know what's right when a magazine called "Health" is saying that women at 18% body fat or below are healthy? I don't call not menstruating because of low weight healthy.

We definitely have a more warped sense of reality these days. I remember when I was younger watching 90210 and all this debate over whether or not the girls on the show were too skinny. The female celebrities these days make those girls look like cows! It's absurd, in my opinion.
  • hasiangirl

I was reading an article in Health magazine about this actress who wanted to lose some weight, so she started seeing a trainer and a nutritionist. She had a little extra weight on her belly she wanted to lose. Her body fat was 24%--slightly higher than "ideal" according to my trainer (that being around 20-22% for women). Well, she got down to something like 18% and wanted to lose more, which her trainer and nutritionist approved! That really got to me. How can we know what's right when a magazine called "Health" is saying that women at 18% body fat or below are healthy? I don't call not menstruating because of low weight healthy.

We definitely have a more warped sense of reality these days. I remember when I was younger watching 90210 and all this debate over whether or not the girls on the show were too skinny. The female celebrities these days make those girls look like cows! It's absurd, in my opinion.
    what actress?.....and was she making a lot of money?.....its sad but these skinny skinny actresses must have low self esteem because of all the competition theyre up against....everyone wants to act or model....i know personally i wouldnt want to lose millions of dollars because i was too "chunky" even if i was just above the 18% lol does that make sense?
  • neeterskeeter
    Thanks for explaining the blood type thing.

I have read a lot on this forum and others about limiting even "good" carbs. I used to be addicted to carbs (like sugar and processed food etc.) but now I usually only eat a whole wheat wrap that is low in carbs and fat, to wrap my turkey or chicken in for lunch, or to wrap my banana and natural PB and honey in for breakfast. So, usually one of those a day. Plus my oatmeal in the morning would be carbs. Sometimes I have Kashi Go Lean cereal, or flaxseed bran cereal, instead of oatmeal, so, that's carbs too of course. But other than that I have shied away from carbs besides the ones in veggies and fruit. Maybe I should try to cut out the cereal and wraps.
  • hasiangirl

I have read a lot on this forum and others about limiting even "good" carbs. I used to be addicted to carbs (like sugar and processed food etc.) but now I usually only eat a whole wheat wrap that is low in carbs and fat, to wrap my turkey or chicken in for lunch, or to wrap my banana and natural PB and honey in for breakfast. So, usually one of those a day. Plus my oatmeal in the morning would be carbs. Sometimes I have Kashi Go Lean cereal, or flaxseed bran cereal, instead of oatmeal, so, that's carbs too of course. But other than that I have shied away from carbs besides the ones in veggies and fruit. Maybe I should try to cut out the cereal and wraps.
    hun it all depends on your body and what u think u couldnt live without because its a lifestyle change... for example my body personally does not get rid of carbs well ....but i know for a fact i cant live without rice so i set aside a few nights a week where i will have a serving of rice every now and then,,,,,but if your body is or has been losing weight while eating carbs theres really no need to change if u dont want to
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member

hun it all depends on your body and what u think u couldnt live without because its a lifestyle change... for example my body personally does not get rid of carbs well ....but i know for a fact i cant live without rice so i set aside a few nights a week where i will have a serving of rice every now and then,,,,,but if your body is or has been losing weight while eating carbs theres really no need to change if u dont want to
    Amen. That is why you hear so many opinions. It's because different things work for different people. There are people that eat no grains because of medical reasons or they think it's healthier. There are people that eat raw. There was a thread about how people should eat between 55-65% carbs. Personally, I eat 45% carbs because I :heart: protein.
  • I disagree with the idea that working out 8 hours a day is the equivalent to studying 8 hours a day. The body is not made to work out that many hours per day. That is the equivalent to exposing your body to slave labor everyday which we all know is stressful and takes years off of your life. You overwork your bones, muscles, heart and organs. This is extremely excessive and any doctor will tell you that it is not only unneccessary but also unhealthy and even dangerous. Also, consider that any woman training to be in a pagent is probably not eating enough calories per day to support a 1.5 hour workout, let alone an 8 hour workout. My cousin is a bodybuilder and the max he has ever worked out was 5 hours per day (only right before a competition) and he is huge and well defined all over. If he only needs to work out a max of 5 hours, why would a skinny, malnurished woman need to exercise 8 hours a day! SERIOUSLY! This is ridiculous and no one should do it unless they are looking to shave years off of their life!
  • hasiangirl
    I disagree with the idea that working out 8 hours a day is the equivalent to studying 8 hours a day. The body is not made to work out that many hours per day. That is the equivalent to exposing your body to slave labor everyday which we all know is stressful and takes years off of your life. You overwork your bones, muscles, heart and organs. This is extremely excessive and any doctor will tell you that it is not only unneccessary but also unhealthy and even dangerous. Also, consider that any woman training to be in a pagent is probably not eating enough calories per day to support a 1.5 hour workout, let alone an 8 hour workout. My cousin is a bodybuilder and the max he has ever worked out was 5 hours per day (only right before a competition) and he is huge and well defined all over. If he only needs to work out a max of 5 hours, why would a skinny, malnurished woman need to exercise 8 hours a day! SERIOUSLY! This is ridiculous and no one should do it unless they are looking to shave years off of their life!
    how do u know she is malnourished??...and another thing is that bodybuilding and probably jogging on a treadmill are way different.......and it may not be the same exactly but my point was .....that is the profession there are always downfalls to professions.....how about this.....the person who works 12+hours to provide for his family that is their profession and staying up those hours are proven to be bad for u.....working out 8 hours a day for a few days will not kill a person ....esp where she is probably not doing extensive weight lifting.......if it was like anything i did there was a mixed regimen......jogging, walking and lifting light weights along with more jogging and more walking....
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

18% is considered normal for a highly athletic female, actually. 20-22% is normal for an average female. Some women can maintain menses even at 12%, although that's usually the point at which dysmenorrhea begins. Most fitness models are around the mid-teens, and competitive physique shows can have women around 6-10%, but that lasts only a day and is largely determined by the type of physique competition and tested vs. untested shows. So 18% body fat is still perfectly healthy.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    The Blood Type Diet is not new........ it's been around for years. I first heard of it in the mid 90's.

Please check it out & see what you think: http://www.dadamo.com/

Based on your blood type, certain foods & exercise are appropriate for optimal health. I'm a Type "O" ... which means meat, veggies, fruit & avoiding wheat, dairy, corn & nightshades. In all the diets and ways of eating I've tried over many years, this is what works for me.

But it makes perfect sense. We're all put together differently. The exercise profile fits me too: I never knew that an intense workout was also my style!? Now I LOVES me that turbo kick boxing class!

As far as the models & beauty contestants goes ..... I think many of those girls are blessed with a very thin body type. And their eating habits etc. are not exactly good examples for young women trying to figure out for themselves how to be healthy & slim.
  • neeterskeeter
    I agree, 8 hours a day, every day or most days, is excessive. 1.5 hours most days, no. Maybe not even 8 hours one day or a couple days in a row is fine if one is training for/ running an ultramarathon, or mountain climbing, etc. I know that for people who climb high mountains, it takes hours of hard climbing and physical exertion all day. But those are unusal circumstances and I can't imagine someone just working out all day every day for many other reasons.

I think I liked Miss Australia the best because she looked the most healthy and natural... if it's true that she exercises 1.5 hours a day and if eating no carbs works for her but she still eats healthy and nutriously instead of starving herself, then I think that is a good role model.

I don't know how to post a picture but the photo of Miss Australia's competition, Stephanie Naumoska, clearly shows a woman who is all bones. Not someone who is just naturally thin. To me there is no way she could be nourishing herself properly and that is my worry with *some* of the pageant women who appear too skinny and who may encourage young girls to develop eating disorders. Rachael Finch (Miss Australia)'s image is not all skins and bones, to me it looks healthy, but on the skinny and very disclipined side.
  • neeterskeeter
    The Blood Type Diet is not new........ it's been around for years. I first heard of it in the mid 90's.

Please check it out & see what you think: http://www.dadamo.com/

Based on your blood type, certain foods & exercise are appropriate for optimal health. I'm a Type "O" ... which means meat, veggies, fruit & avoiding wheat, dairy, corn & nightshades. In all the diets and ways of eating I've tried over many years, this is what works for me.

But it makes perfect sense. We're all put together differently. The exercise profile fits me too: I never knew that an intense workout was also my style!? Now I LOVES me that turbo kick boxing class!

As far as the models & beauty contestants goes ..... I think many of those girls are blessed with a very thin body type. And their eating habits etc. are not exactly good examples for young women trying to figure out for themselves how to be healthy & slim.

Hmmm thanks, I will check into this... first I have to figure out what my blood type is! Ha ha. I think my body tends to hold onto carbs too much, which is why I limit them. I seem to have an issue with dairy as well but I don't have more than 1/2 a cup of skim milk in my oatmeal or cereal, and a cup of yogurt a day, and a small amount of cheese. Otherwise I have stomach issues and I think I may be a little lactose intolerant or something. I also enjoy intense work outs. So maybe I'm an O, LOL. What is a nightshade?

I will look into it, thanks for the edumacation. :wink:
  • neeterskeeter
    I disagree with the idea that working out 8 hours a day is the equivalent to studying 8 hours a day. The body is not made to work out that many hours per day. That is the equivalent to exposing your body to slave labor everyday which we all know is stressful and takes years off of your life. You overwork your bones, muscles, heart and organs. This is extremely excessive and any doctor will tell you that it is not only unneccessary but also unhealthy and even dangerous. Also, consider that any woman training to be in a pagent is probably not eating enough calories per day to support a 1.5 hour workout, let alone an 8 hour workout. My cousin is a bodybuilder and the max he has ever worked out was 5 hours per day (only right before a competition) and he is huge and well defined all over. If he only needs to work out a max of 5 hours, why would a skinny, malnurished woman need to exercise 8 hours a day! SERIOUSLY! This is ridiculous and no one should do it unless they are looking to shave years off of their life!
    how do u know she is malnourished??...and another thing is that bodybuilding and probably jogging on a treadmill are way different.......and it may not be the same exactly but my point was .....that is the profession there are always downfalls to professions.....how about this.....the person who works 12+hours to provide for his family that is their profession and staying up those hours are proven to be bad for u.....working out 8 hours a day for a few days will not kill a person ....esp where she is probably not doing extensive weight lifting.......if it was like anything i did there was a mixed regimen......jogging, walking and lifting light weights along with more jogging and more walking....

Oops I didn't mean to start an argument, sorry.

I don't know for how long she worked out for 8 hours a day but I personally consider that to be excessive and probably unnecessary. But I'm sure she had trainers and stuff telling her what to do, so who am I to say. :wink: That is jus tmy opinion, it does not seem healthy to me.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I read up on the BT diet a while back. The premise is that certain foods contain proteins that cause your blood cells to form clots on your organs as a type of 'immune response' because our bodies use proteins for cell signaling. Cool idea, total BS though. That's not how the immune response--or blood clots--work.

Moving on.

Stephanie was actually in a broadcast on the Today show I believe. Her BMI is something like 15 (18 being the limit for underweight). She's like Skeletor.
  • hasiangirl

Oops I didn't mean to start an argument, sorry.

I don't know for how long she worked out for 8 hours a day but I personally consider that to be excessive and probably unnecessary. But I'm sure she had trainers and stuff telling her what to do, so who am I to say. :wink: That is jus tmy opinion, it does not seem healthy to me.
    nope u didnt.....:tongue: i was just saying i've done similiar before to do modeling shoots...and its hard to keep the perfect body, i was also working out 4-5hours a day but i was eating about 1k over what i would eat to maintain....some people dont think it's healthy but i wasnt doing a lot of strenuios work outs...they were simple and easy ....i prob did more walking than anything though :laugh: :laugh: (I hate running...) but i'm just saying i couldnt imagine the stress the miss universe girls go through about their bodies because theyre up on a stage being scrutinized by the whole world.....lol i'd wanna work out 8 hours for a few days just in case :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    My daughter is nearly 14, about 4'10", and wears a size 00. She thinks she's fat, thanks to the media's idea of "beauty". I just want to scream when she talks about wanting to look like music and movie stars...she has no idea how unhealthy (and unhappy) many of their lives are.

<<<<Former model
  • neeterskeeter

nope u didnt.....:tongue: i was just saying i've done similiar before to do modeling shoots...and its hard to keep the perfect body, i was also working out 4-5hours a day but i was eating about 1k over what i would eat to maintain....some people dont think it's healthy but i wasnt doing a lot of strenuios work outs...they were simple and easy ....i prob did more walking than anything though :laugh: :laugh: (I hate running...) but i'm just saying i couldnt imagine the stress the miss universe girls go through about their bodies because theyre up on a stage being scrutinized by the whole world.....lol i'd wanna work out 8 hours for a few days just in case :laugh:
    I see. I guess I would say that if it's that hard to keep the "perfect" body, then perhaps that's not really a perfect body?! My whole point is just that girls shouldn't be encouraged to think that being healthy and fit and happy is really that much hard work. All it takes IMO to have the "perfect" body should be eating healthy/naturally and getting enough exercise.
  • hasiangirl

I see. I guess I would say that if it's that hard to keep the "perfect" body, then perhaps that's not really a perfect body?! My whole point is just that girls shouldn't be encouraged to think that being healthy and fit and happy is really that much hard work. All it takes IMO to have the "perfect" body should be eating healthy/naturally and getting enough exercise.
    sorry my mistake i wouldnt say the "perfect" body....but what a lot of the world wants to view as the "perfect" body....esp with cameras because the angles can be horrible to a shape even if you're at your best :flowerforyou:
  • neeterskeeter
    My daughter is nearly 14, about 4'10", and wears a size 00. She thinks she's fat, thanks to the media's idea of "beauty". I just want to scream when she talks about wanting to look like music and movie stars...she has no idea how unhealthy (and unhappy) many of their lives are.

<<<<Former model

I agree... if I had to work out *that* much and eat *that* little, and always be worried about it and scrutinized and in competition, I just couldn't be happy. I know some people thrive on competition and I am not trying to judge. I just think there is a limit and, to me, health and beauty isn't a contest. I guess I am theoretically against beauty contests because they promote that, and to me, all women are beautiful. But I watch them out of morbid curiosity. :laugh: I mean, last night they were grading the women in their bikinis and to me ALL of them looked like they had flawless bodies, totally out of my reach even with how hard I work and how dedicated I've been trying to be, and some were rated 7.82 while others were rated 9.2... there seemed to be no rhyme or reason. I understand your concerns with your daughter. I was wondering, if I had a daughter who wanted to compete in beauty pageants, say, a teenager, could I really send her out there wearing next to nothing to be "graded" on her looks or size or whatever by a panel of people?? I just don't think I could do it.
  • neeterskeeter

Stephanie was actually in a broadcast on the Today show I believe. Her BMI is something like 15 (18 being the limit for underweight). She's like Skeletor.

Interesting, I didn't catch that.

At least to me she seems like the exception... most of the contestants are super skinny but not that extreme.
This discussion has been closed.