my healthy lunch was gross :(

Options
2»

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Foods aren't as simple as "healthy" and "unhealthy." For example, although rice has been traditionally touted as healthy, it's actually very easy to gain weight eating it b/c it's just pure carbs and very high calorie. Fish can be made healthy or unhealthy.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There are exactly four types of fish I'll eat:

1. Salmon
    a. It cooks quickly so cook it on low heat for a very short time. Cooking too long on too high a temp will dry it out...BLECH!
    b. I have to use some sort of low or no sodium seasoning. Mrs. Dash lemon pepper is my fav for fish.
    2. Tuna. I like canned tuna (Low sodium chunk light tuna in water) on sandwiches best. I drain the tuna as much as possible. Add two Tbsp of olive oil mayo, pepper, diced onion, and a tsp of dill pickle relish or a sprinkle of fresh dill. I'm not big on fresh tuna.
    3. Flounder. I like it best grilled or broiled and covered in Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper seasoning. Flounder is one of the milder varieties of fish, and if you rinse it well before cooking, it eliminates alot of the unpleasant "fishy" taste.
    4. Fresh lake trout. Most fresh water fish tends to have a stronger taste, but, on occasion, I do like trout if it's prepared properly. As a treat, I like to lightly coat it in a mixture of flour, Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, and course kosher salt or sea salt. Then pan fry it in a couple Tbsp of EVOO. I serve it with a side of baked sweet potato fries, lightly sprinkled with cinnamon.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't force yourself to do something you really don't want to do, even if it's trying to eat healthy foods. If you find that they taste disgusting and you have tried multiple times to try it, but fail, just don't eat it.

Take me for instance, I thought about replacing crisps with a salad. I had never had a salad before and I tried it and I just didn't enjoy it. Little to no taste, the food was just too wet lol. Felt like I had just put a bunch of veggies in a glass of water and started drinking it. Everything had too much liquids in them and I just don't eat them.

Last year, I managed to lose 20lb+ and never touched a salad. I'm still around the same weight and don't eat salad because I don't want to force myself to eat something that has little to no calories in it and I don't enjoy.

So, don't like fish, replace it with other meats, don't enjoy meats, find a meat free protein source like soy, quorn, etc.