Cardio Between Lift Sets?

Options
So my treadmill is right there in the same room as my bench and weights. My normal strength training is done with rest of 60s between sets usually.

So, I had to idea to make use of that 60s and hop on the treadmill for little mini-sprints during my "rest".

Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea, bad idea?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My question is, why?

I've done it, but it was back in my ignorant days and I no longer do it. If you're lifting, then lift (assuming real lifting - high weight and low reps). If you're cardio-ing, then cardio.

IMO.
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My question is, why?

I've done it, but it was back in my ignorant days and I no longer do it. If you're lifting, then lift (assuming real lifting - high weight and low reps). If you're cardio-ing, then cardio.

IMO.
    I am posing the same question to everyone here in reverse (which you didn't answer).

Why not? Is it negative in some way?

My reasons for why are:
    -To maximize time
    -Keep a higher HR and burn

(for clarification, I don't do this while working legs)
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but I prefer to super-set or triple-set instead.

ETA: What are your goals?
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    A few of the workout DVDs I do kind of do the same thing. I like it, keeps the heart rate up. I have also jumped on my treadmill in between sets. I don't see a thing wrong with it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't like this idea. I'm willing to bet that lack of rest between sets is going to prevent you from maximal lifting efforts on each set.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well, I am no expert but I have heard from friends and Jillian Michael, do cardio inbetween weights to keep the heart rate up and effectively burn more calories. This could be true for weight loss or getting stronger but not sure about heavy lifting goal though.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I don't like this idea. I'm willing to bet that lack of rest between sets is going to prevent you from maximal lifting efforts on each set.

I feel this way as well.
  • Justagirl1978
    Justagirl1978 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you have enough energy to be doing cardio in between sets, you're not lifting heavy enough. I *need* my rest periods to recover so that I can then again lift the weight after my 2-3 minute rest.
  • NikkiLS28
    NikkiLS28 Posts: 43
    Options
    I guess it really depends on your goal - increase muscle mass or burn fat (since your body can't really do both at the same time). As a previous poster mentioned, I have some DVDs that do this, but the 'strength training' is pretty light.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and it negatively affected my lifts.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, because it would negatively effect my lifts and that's the last thing I want.

If I was going for a circuit-training style workout, where keeping my HR up was a priority, then maybe I would. However, my goals are to lift as much as I can each set, max effort, so I rest and it helps with that.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I triple set instead. Maybe it's not the most effective, but I can't stand sitting around for 60s. I move, for instance, from split squats to bent-over rows to planks, no purposeful rest between the sets. I'll also sometimes throw in a set of jacks or something.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have a jump rope and I'll do 30-40 reps between machines, not between sets though, and I don't do it every time.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    There is a women's gym I used to go to called Curves that worked on this principle of doing cardio inbetween lift sets. It was more for fat burning/loosing weight, not bulking up though. Worked well for loosing weight. Lost 5 lbs in a month withouth changing my food intake.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i personally dont see anything wrong with that idea..keeping the heart rate up is a good thing to me, i use to do jumping jacks or push ups in between my sets....why waste that time that is given...i say go for it and do what makes you feel good..different strokes for different folks :) thats my moto.
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The rest period while your lifting weights is VERY IMPORTANT.

As I mentioned, I don't do this while doing lower body. Do you really think running would affect my upper body lifts?

I always thought the rest period was to allow that specific muscle to rest between sets.

Why are super sets ok, but this idea is somehow not ok? Please explain....
  • jillzin
    jillzin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit, which integrates cardio and weight bearing exercises. It a short burst of all-out effort (less than 30 minutes). It's less lifting though, and more bodyweight exercises and kettlebells. Very intense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CrossFit
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you are lifting. I do Cross-fit which incorporates lifting with cardio. I love crossfit don't get me wrong but don't fully agree on days that we lift and do cardio. I think it creates bad form on lifts in which this case I would agree with Jackson. If you are lifting heavy with low reps I say you do cardio later and not in between. Take the rest and keep good form.

Maybe on off lifting days switch up your routine and do some interval training with other activities such as mountain climbers, push-ups, sit-ups, and burpees inbetween some uphill runs and sprints for 20 on 10 off and vary it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no, if you do this, your lifting performance will suffer, and hence your progress will suffer. ideally do the cardio on a separate day.