New weight loss tip

Options
Hello all,
I just read an article on "Healthy Snacks for Dieters" and wanted to share. I quote:
Before you grab for a snack, ask yourself "am I really hungry?" If not grab a stick of gum.
Dr.'s at the Mayo Clinic have found that the act of chewing burns 11 calories an hour,
which is a 19% boost over just sitting there. This may not sound like much, but it works out to
a pound a year for every hour a day you chew. For instance if you chew gum for 4 hrs a day,
you'll lose 4 lbs a year, not to mention the calories saved by not snacking! I'm off to buy me some gum!!

Replies

• GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I buy the Orbit variety pack at Sam's Club. It has like 15 packs in it and my husband and I go through one of those about once every couple of months. I freakin' love gum. Sugar-free is good for oral hygiene, too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I just read an article on "Healthy Snacks for Dieters" and wanted to share. I quote:
    Before you grab for a snack, ask yourself "am I really hungry?" If not grab a stick of gum.
    Dr.'s at the Mayo Clinic have found that the act of chewing burns 11 calories an hour,
    which is a 19% boost over just sitting there. This may not sound like much, but it works out to
    a pound a year for every hour a day you chew. For instance if you chew gum for 4 hrs a day,
    you'll lose 4 lbs a year, not to mention the calories saved by not snacking! I'm off to buy me some gum!!
    It does need to be mentioned the gum must be sugar free if you're looking for that 4lbs loss. If it's 11 calories and hour and it's say a stick of Wrigley's Juicy fruit gum, that gum is 10 calories. So net would be 1 calorie burned per hour which can be done doing 10 jumping jacks each hour. Not to mention what chewing regular sugared gum would end up doing to your teeth if you didn't brush.
    But it has been also researched and concluded by Mayo Clinic that if a craving comes on and you do some sort of physical activity for a few minutes, the urge for that craving decreases.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Drinking a big glass of water when you start to feel nibbly tends to help me. I've never been a big gum chewer.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    These studies are always flawed...just because you burn a few extra calories doesn't mean you lose weight...you could just be gaining weight at a slightly slower rate. It is highly unlikely that calories burnt from chewing could be the edge that puts someone into a caloric deficit. The same goes with exercise, burning more calories doesn't mean you lose weight unless those calories put you below maintenance.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I've also read that chewing gum for more than 20 minutes a day isn't good for your teeth. Might want to chat with your dentist before you embark on your Chewing Workout program.