Daily Calorie Breakdown

Options
What is the ratio of Carbs to Protien to Fat calories that you aim for? The default setting for my fitness pal appears to be 55% carbs : 30% fat : 15% protein. However, I have always heard that when trying to loose weight you should eat more protein and less carbohydrates. I realize that this includes good carbohydrates like fruit etc. but it still seems like a lot of carbohydrates and too little protein.

So I was just wondering what everyone else aims for?? Thanks!!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the percentages. They are not that important. Protein and fats are the most important. Try to get 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass, 0.5 grams of fat per pound of total body weight and fill in the rest of your calories with carbs, or more protein and fat. With those in mind, my current percentages are 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.

Plus fats and protein will help you feel full longer than carbs. ; )
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I always come in way over on protein and under on carbs... I don't worry about it because my body seems very happy :-) As long as you have energy and feel good you are probably ok.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not really sure if this will help but for me I eat as much protein as I can since it helps to keep me feeling satisfied. I limit the amount of bad carbs (i.e. white pasta, white bread, etc.) but don't worry so much about fruit and veggies and when I do have pasta make it whole wheat, etc. and I try to stay under the fat that MFP automatically calculated for me. However, I am very overweight so this works for me. As I lose weight I may have to change this depending on when and for how long I plateau. Good Luck and listen to your body!!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30% Carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat. On a 1250 calorie diet thats about 94 grams of carbs, 125 grams of protein, 42 grams of fat. It has been critical for my ongoing progress.

MFP estimates WAY too much for carbs and under estimates proteins. I am pretty satisfied through out the day on my plan, and do not feel hungry. However you should see what works best for you some people need 200 grams of carbs to function some don't.

Best of luck!
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    I have mine to 40% protein, 30% each carbs and fats.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    I aim for 30% Carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat. On a 1250 calorie diet thats about 94 grams of carbs, 125 grams of protein, 42 grams of fat. It has been critical for my ongoing progress.

MFP estimates WAY too much for carbs and under estimates proteins. I still pretty satisfied through out the day on my plan. However you should see what works best for you some people need 200 grams of carbs to function some don't.

Best of luck!

^^ This!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't aim for any certain macro breakdown. But I do agree that the MFP setting seems high for carbs, though it's probably the current medical recommendation. I have mine set to the defaults by I rarely hit the carb number and I'm usually over on protein and fat. I can't figure out how to eat that many healthy carbs.
  • Damir_Poljak
    Damir_Poljak Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I started with this app, I was eating too much fat, but now I manage to keep on 30% protein 50 carbs and only 20% fat. I incorporated exercise and I see great results. Try to get your carbs from vegetables and fruit snacks and try to eat every two hours. That works for me and I hope it will bring great resuls for you.
    Returning to gym wasn't easy for me but it is important aspect of a healthy living and I am trying to make it a lifestyle. Cardio and core exercise are the beginning and later I'll try to bild more muscles with weights and bigger protein intake. Good luck!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options

MFP estimates WAY too much for carbs and under estimates proteins. I am pretty satisfied through out the day on my plan, and do not feel hungry. However you should see what works best for you some people need 200 grams of carbs to function some don't.

Best of luck!

Yep thats mine too :)