Ready for the weights, but dont know where to start :/

I have about 3 more lbs until i reach my GW. my workouts have mainly consisted of cardio. and i know that i need to start incorporating some weight training and resistance into my workouts.. but where do i start? how often to i do it? its just a little overwhelming and i think thats why i have always stuck to running... any help or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated. i know you cant spot reduce but i really would like to work on my stomach.

Should i get some weights for at home? i just need someone to help point me in the right direction!

Replies

• hwibowo
    hwibowo Posts: 18 Member
    Core workout is the best way. You need to build strong foundation before doing work on other parts.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I have about 3 more lbs until i reach my GW.
    Congrats! A big secret to helping you keep that is regular strength training. It will help keep your metabolism up making it easier to maintain the weight you wish to stay at.
    but where do i start? how often to i do it?
    You can buy some weights and use them at home if you're really motivated but honestly I would suggest if at all possible that you find a gym of some sort that you can go to. You'll be too tempted to do other things if you try to work out at home. Trust me on this. "Okay one more set and.... Hold on, the dog is wanting outside again. Ugh!"

A lot of women seem to point to the book New Rules of Lifting for Women as a good starting point but honestly you can get a idea of what to do if you spend some time reading through exercise magazines or websites. You might feel silly looking through an issue of Muscle and Fitness but your muscle groups are exactly the same as those body builders so their exercises are just as effective for you. YouTube videos can also give you good inspiration if you're looking for ideas or examples on what to do. Just think of all the muscle groups and look up exercises for each one.

In the beginning you should focus more on compound exercises. That is strength exercises that work more than one muscle group at a time. Bench press, squats, lunges, shoulder press, dead lifts, etc. Also keep in mind that you should be lifting weight that is heavy for you. Don't worry about if those 10 lb dumbbells look small. If it's heavy for you to lift then it's heavy. If you can do the same exercise much more than 10 - 12 times in a row non-stop then the weight isn't heavy for you.

Don't forget to give your body time to recover. You're going to be sore, sore, sore at first so take a couple days between strength training days if you're really sore and take heart that with regular exercise the soreness factor declines to a very limited amount. Your body gets used to the work and you won't laugh at the pain stairs give you after leg day too much.

Other things that come to mind. Split your exercise up so that you focus on different body parts on different days. Initially just doing upper body and legs on different days is a good idea. If you did legs the day before you can still exercise your upper body while your legs rest. Eventually you'll want to split upper body into different segments as well. Also if you do cardio and strength training in the same session, do strength first.

And finally... NO! You will not "bulk up" like a body builder. Women don't have the testosterone for that. Dedicated women lifters just look awesome, not bulky.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Are you planning on going to a gym? If so, consider getting a personal trainer to teach you the basic compound movements, which are the best exercises for burning fat and strengthening your core. It's not a bad idea to include one or two core specific exercises into your workouts, but they tend to be very inefficient for developing a flat stomach. So just do one or two of them. You should primarily focus on compound large muscle movements like squats, chin-up, etc.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    I am working through You Are Your Own Gym - you can use stuff at home to do core/bodyweight training. Am really enjoying it and seeing a difference just using my own body weight/broom handles/kitchen counters etc...I do go to the gym, but am enjoying the benefits of this kind of work out immensely!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    I want these tips too !!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I think I've seen several people recommend 5x5 stonglifts for beginners. Personally I've never tried it but it looks like a good structured program and all the information looks to be free.

http://stronglifts.com/
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    I have about 3 more lbs until i reach my GW.
    Congrats! A big secret to helping you keep that is regular strength training. It will help keep your metabolism up making it easier to maintain the weight you wish to stay at.
    but where do i start? how often to i do it?
    You can buy some weights and use them at home if you're really motivated but honestly I would suggest if at all possible that you find a gym of some sort that you can go to. You'll be too tempted to do other things if you try to work out at home. Trust me on this. "Okay one more set and.... Hold on, the dog is wanting outside again. Ugh!"

A lot of women seem to point to the book New Rules of Lifting for Women as a good starting point but honestly you can get a idea of what to do if you spend some time reading through exercise magazines or websites. You might feel silly looking through an issue of Muscle and Fitness but your muscle groups are exactly the same as those body builders so their exercises are just as effective for you. YouTube videos can also give you good inspiration if you're looking for ideas or examples on what to do. Just think of all the muscle groups and look up exercises for each one.

In the beginning you should focus more on compound exercises. That is strength exercises that work more than one muscle group at a time. Bench press, squats, lunges, shoulder press, dead lifts, etc. Also keep in mind that you should be lifting weight that is heavy for you. Don't worry about if those 10 lb dumbbells look small. If it's heavy for you to lift then it's heavy. If you can do the same exercise much more than 10 - 12 times in a row non-stop then the weight isn't heavy for you.

Don't forget to give your body time to recover. You're going to be sore, sore, sore at first so take a couple days between strength training days if you're really sore and take heart that with regular exercise the soreness factor declines to a very limited amount. Your body gets used to the work and you won't laugh at the pain stairs give you after leg day too much.

Other things that come to mind. Split your exercise up so that you focus on different body parts on different days. Initially just doing upper body and legs on different days is a good idea. If you did legs the day before you can still exercise your upper body while your legs rest. Eventually you'll want to split upper body into different segments as well. Also if you do cardio and strength training in the same session, do strength first.

And finally... NO! You will not "bulk up" like a body builder. Women don't have the testosterone for that. Dedicated women lifters just look awesome, not bulky.

This is great advice!