yoga question/help

Options
I have been doing Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga with Bob Harper. I love the program but i am having wrist pain after the workout. What am I doing wrong, any ideas??

Also can't figure out how many calories I am burning with the program. I saw that 1 hr of yoga is 200 calories but it seems with this program it is more then yoga. Does anyone know how many calories are being used for this program???

Replies

• wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Did you just bump after 4 mins?

Yoga can be very demanding on your wrists. You should warm them up and strengthen them just like any other body part. before starting, do limited range push ups on your fists. Also, make sure your holding your weight evenly while in down dog or plank. You shouldn't be pushing all your weight into your hands.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    When I do yoga, I don't want to wear a heart rate monitor, so I just call it 200 calories like MFP says. As for your wrists, they will get used to it. Just warm them up first. Good luck!!
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    As far as your wrists go, try an inversion stretch- instead of holding your palms together, face your fingers down towards to floor and press the backs of your hands together. That will probably help.

I really don't know as far as calories go.
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    i believe the pain is coming from the plank exercise. besides hand rolling what less can i do to warm up my wrists?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes. Try to use your abs, back and shoulder muscles to relieve some of the pressure on your wrists, particularly in downward dog and plank. I have not done the yoga workout you are talking about, but I know the MFP calorie counts for yoga are based on gentle Hatha yoga. Try this link for a better variety of options:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

If the yoga you are doing moves fairly rapidly between poses, it would probably qualify as Vinyasa yoga. Hope this helps.
  • kjwillie
    kjwillie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also, spreading your fingers and trying to keep your weight distributed evenly between your hands and feet helps. Should establish a wider base without as much pain to the wrists.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    If you really want to know how many calories you're burning, you have to use a heart rate monitor. I fought it for years, but now using it is second nature. It's really not as much a pain as I'm sure it seems (and I can say this, because I remember thinking how much of a pain it must be - and I was wrong).

The information you get from a HRM is very helpful, even when doing yoga. I don't think calorie estimators are really worth very much.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    As far as wrists go, I would say try to warm them up, and stop if they start to hurt too much. Someone else mentioned that they need to be strengthened along with everyone else, and that's true. You can only workout to the limit of the weakest link in the chain, even though that's frustrating.

Minimize the amount of time you're doing Plank (or any other pose that hurts), and just move on to the next pose (I'm guessing this is mostly happening during sun salutations?). Over time, your wrists will probably start to feel better. But definitely, don't risk injuring them by 'pushing through' the pain. Although that sometimes works with muscle pain, you can't do it with join pain - you'll just increase your risk of injury. You have to take care of your joints. Joint injuries can haunt you for years.
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    thank you MoveTheMounta and everyone less for all the advice. i am going to try some of the suggestions. :)
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    When I first started yoga, I had the same problem. I bought a set of gripitz yoga blocks and they helped. I've heard that a yoga foam wedge can help too.
  • mary600193
    Options
    Evenly distribute your weight on your hands. For example, in down dog, do not put all of your weight on the pad under your thumb. Try to focus on placing some weight towards your fingers and keep your middle finger dead center. For relief, when in child's pose, let your hands rest by your ankles instead of out in front of your body. It will give the blood a chance to circulate back into your wrists.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You can strengthen your wrists by taking light weights (like 2 pounds) and do wrist rolls with them. I have done that a few times and I have had some success. I need to do it again because I am doing more yoga and I am having the same problems as you
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I agree to spread your fingers apart and plant them down as much as you can. Also, make sure your hands are straight and not to the side at all so your wrists "point forward" if that makes sense...