Unsolicited and unwanted advice anyone?

Options
So I've been at this for over a year now, and in five days I'll complete a year here on MFP (awesome peeps here btw), I know I'm not a fitness expert at all. I barely started with a trainer and the gym after working out at home. Anyway, I know someone who isn't in the best of shape and never has been...that person recently went from a size 48 pants to a 42, stands 5'4" and is 215lbs now. I'm being purposely vague because of Google lol, anyway, this individual went off for an hour yesterday about how I'm doing things wrong, I can't bodyrock anymore ( look at bodyrock.tv ) and how I shouldn't eat what I eat ( I was eating brown rice and a chicken breast ) because I won't get to where I need to be doing what I do. I'm trying to gain weight here...my trainer put me at a minimum 2125 cals a day, ideally 2300.
I really kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to say anything hurtful, because I hate to make anyone feel bad...but seriously!!!!

Anything similar happen to you all?

Oh and btw, she was eating a massive cookie that my bf dropped by for us....cookie was as big as a small plate. Followed by a brownie, followed by something in a huge Tupperware container. I think it was pasta:huh:

Replies

• catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should title my posts as "BOOBS!":grumble:
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Both of your posts made me laugh... :laugh:

She sounds crazy! And by your ticker you're at or near your goal weight so clearly you know what works for you

Little different situation, but when I first met my husband's new secretary when we got to Korea she told me in her broken English... "This pretty"... touches my face, "this pretty"... touches my shoulders, "this needs some work"... as she makes large circles with her hands in the general direction of my stomach, hips and behind. :angry:

Granted it's a whole different culture where this is apparently acceptable, but she acted like this was some revelation that she was being kind enough to let me in on... really!! Definitely an unwelcome comment.... as well-meaning as she was.
    Thankfully she retired so I don't have to see her when I go there now, she would probably think my weight loss is because of her.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think this person is jealous. Why would they need to point out what you are doing wrong when they themselves are not practicing what they preach? Do your thing, and next time, they say something to you let it be in one ear and out the other.
  • rikkeeroos
    rikkeeroos Posts: 28
    Options
    People love to tell me what I should be doing to lose weight. The funny thing that I have found is that most of them are not doing anything to improve themselves. I usually just smile and say, "Ok." Then I continue to do what is working for me. I try to be very concious about whether or not I am giving unsolicited advice. I don't know if you wanted advice on this or not, but I do think that "Boobs" should be the title of every post.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My sister in law once went on a rant about how I should become a vegan and I'd lose the weight. Though, I'm not sure she has any room to talk considering she has GAINED almost 50 pounds since she became a "vegan" and I have lost almost that much in a year..... and I just don't think I could live on Twinkies and ice cream like she does :laugh: :blushing: :laugh:
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    tell her to go f*** herself.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So I've been at this for over a year now, and in five days I'll complete a year here on MFP (awesome peeps here btw), I know I'm not a fitness expert at all. I barely started with a trainer and the gym after working out at home. Anyway, I know someone who isn't in the best of shape and never has been...that person recently went from a size 48 pants to a 42, stands 5'4" and is 215lbs now. I'm being purposely vague because of Google lol, anyway, this individual went off for an hour yesterday about how I'm doing things wrong, I can't bodyrock anymore ( look at bodyrock.tv ) and how I shouldn't eat what I eat ( I was eating brown rice and a chicken breast ) because I won't get to where I need to be doing what I do. I'm trying to gain weight here...my trainer put me at a minimum 2125 cals a day, ideally 2300.
    I really kept my mouth shut because I didn't want to say anything hurtful, because I hate to make anyone feel bad...but seriously!!!!

Anything similar happen to you all?

Oh and btw, she was eating a massive cookie that my bf dropped by for us....cookie was as big as a small plate. Followed by a brownie, followed by something in a huge Tupperware container. I think it was pasta:huh:

You're too nice, personally i'd have named and shamed her and told her to feck off
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ..... and I just don't think I could live on Twinkies and ice cream like she does :laugh: :blushing: :laugh:

Whoa! If she's actually eating Twinkies, then she's really bad a being vegan. Last time I checked, those suckers weren't even vegetarian! Of course, I haven't eaten one in like 15 years, so who knows...
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You will get tons of advice, solicited and otherwise, from 'experts' when you are on a mission to lose weight or get healthy. I have found that the best thing to do is smile, nod, and KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT! On rare occasions, I might get a useful tidbit, but more often than not, it's something that I just let go in one ear and out the other. Just keep doing what you KNOW works for you :-) BTW, you are very funny!
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love getting advice from people that need to lose weight. I just silently think....really? because I look like I'm not doing it right and your weird 2 days on 5 days off is working so well? I think I get more irritated by people that ask me for advice constantly and then do nothing. Stop asking me if you aren't ready.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You're too nice, personally i'd have named and shamed her and told her to feck off

^^Yeah, this.

Whenever someone who has recently lost a ton of weight just by quitting soda, and walking once a day tries to give me advice, I kind of feel like that. I never do say anything, but I'm always so close to saying "Hey, I'm really glad you're taking better care of yourself now, but I've never been more than five pounds overweight, because I've always been eating healthy foods and moving my *kitten*, so you know, maybe your advice doesn't apply to me."

One thing I'm wondering: was she trying to instruct you on how to get in shape, or on how to gain weight?
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

^^Yeah, this.

Whenever someone who has recently lost a ton of weight just by quitting soda, and walking once a day tries to give me advice, I kind of feel like that. I never do say anything, but I'm always so close to saying "Hey, I'm really glad you're taking better care of yourself now, but I've never been more than five pounds overweight, because I've always been eating healthy foods and moving my *kitten*, so you know, maybe your advice doesn't apply to me."

One thing I'm wondering: was she trying to instruct you on how to get in shape, or on how to gain weight?

Both. Said I should eat all the cookies the bf left cuz I really needed it. She ate two btw. And how hard she works at Spin etc etc...and how I should try Spin.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ..... and I just don't think I could live on Twinkies and ice cream like she does :laugh: :blushing: :laugh:

Whoa! If she's actually eating Twinkies, then she's really bad a being vegan. Last time I checked, those suckers weren't even vegetarian! Of course, I haven't eaten one in like 15 years, so who knows...

My point exactly. And let's not forget ho-ho's, ding dongs, honey buns, toaster waffles, those little fried hashbrown dealies like what you can get at McDonalds (But it's "healthier" because she makes them at home in a frickin VAT of crisco).... I can NOT live off that stuff. Trust me. I tried. I lived with her for 6 months. I CRIED for a salad after 2 days.