how do you work out when it's too hot to move?

Options
Lkoblara
Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
We are having a heat wave this week in New England (90+ degrees with 70% Humidity) and it's much too hot to go walking outside or even to really exercise inside. I don't have access to a pool or a gym... So any suggestions on burning some calories on a super hot day?

Replies

• pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We are having the same weather. I workout out in my basement so I am fine. Maybe that would work for you? I do usually run and play outside with my dogs but the last few days have been too hot for that even so I have them play ball in the basement too.

Stay Cool
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Bleh - 70% humidity? Brutal! It gets hot where I live (central California) but it's a dry heat. :tongue:

Kick on the a/c or a fan and workout early in the morning? I workout early to beat the heat, ceiling fan on high, regular fan pointed at me.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Workout video inside or wait till dark. It's about 93 degrees here today too and I'm going for a run after sunset.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Its that hot from June through Sept in Georgia so we just exercise outside in the heat. Your body will acclimate to it quickly.
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Get up really really early and go. We have been having hot weather also, minus the humidity. I usually don't wake up until 9, but have been getting up at 7 to get outside before the heat sets in
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Swimming Refreshing and a great workout
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Last Saturday it was 102 where I live, so my best friend and I hiked along a creek near her house. Not on the bank but actually in the middle of the creek for a few miles. It actually turned out to be a pretty decent workout, with the resistance of the water pushing against each step we took.

I workout in my house when it is too hot. Or wait until it gets cooler at night.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I make sure I'm hydrated and do it anyway (within reason, and listening to my body as I go).

Or you can wake up early to get at it before it gets too hot for you.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Southern Illinois, high humidity and high heat. I usually try to do any outside work either early in the morning (before 9 a.m.) or at dusk.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I live in Georgia. You do get used to the heat. But I would be careful. Make sure you're hydrated before you begin your workout. Also, I try to run early, before dawn, or after dinner when the sun is beginning to set.

Another option would be inside a mall where there is air. Any movement is better than sitting on your butt, though. :) Good luck with it. Where there is a will, there is a way. I hope some of the suggestions people have made will help you figure something out.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert I do my exercises in the morning when it's much cooler
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I live down south and it will be 95+ until September here. Ugh...I hate the heat. I try to exercise in the evening.
  • Lkoblara
    Options
    I tried exercising early this morning, but the humidity was still so high it was making it hard to breathe Same thing with last night. I don't do well at all in the heat :(

Maybe I could just break it up into smaller spurts of exercise?
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am in New England also...I do early morning....and then later pack the kids up to the beach for some added activity
  • Lkoblara
    Options
    Oh The Mall is a really good idea! Thanks!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I guess we are all in the same boat with this heat! We should start a Hot Yoga group, this seems to be the 'it' thing for yoga now.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    im in texas and i see people all the time in walmart and sams club walking...as in walking for exercise not for shopping
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    It's been in the 90s here this week and lots of humidity.

We have no air in the house--so I just plug in 2 fans and get a bottle of cold water and sweat away. The shower always feel awesome afterwards :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I live in Maine, but I lived in Kentucky for a few years where we'd commonly have "99 squared" days (99 degrees, 99% relative humidity).

Walk slower, wear clothes you can sweat in, and take and drink lots of water.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    im in texas and i see people all the time in walmart and sams club walking...as in walking for exercise not for shopping

^^^ This is common in New England in the winter, too. We call it "mall walking". I see no reason why it wouldn't work just as well in the summer.