Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)

Options

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many people here have hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's disease...wow. I mean it makes sense since hypo can cause weight gain, but still.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, the medication will NOT "boost your metabolism". What it *will* do is assist you in REGULATING your metabolism.

It will not help you lose weight any faster or slower than someone with a normally functioning thyroid. It is still ALL diet and exercise.

As a previous commenter noted, an excess of thyroid function can lead to other problems - heart disease, early osteoporosis, etc. Weight you don't want to lose - heart muscle mass and bone density!

Good luck with your journey. And all thyroid patients - please please please make sure your doctor isn't diagnosing solely on a TSH blood test! Ensure they are directly testing your actual thyroid function (TSH tests a pituitary gland hormone, not thyroid) by doing a free T3 and free T4 test as well. Just because TSH is "normal" doesn't necessarily mean that thyroid function is normal.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't have hypothyroidism, but I do have knowledge of it. The T3 and T4 hormones that are produced by the thyroid gland regulate the rate of metabolism. When you are taking a medication that makes these hormones be produced at a normal level, it will increase your metabolism, since it has been slowed down from the disease. So, yes your medication will help increase the rate of your metabolism thus allowing weight loss to be easier and faster.

^^ This is what my doctor explained to me when I was diagnosed. I have Hashimoto's as well. It took a while to get the meds right but I am now on Levothyroxine (150) and since I started at this dose I have had it a little easier losing weight, also helped with depression issues, muscle aches, fatigue etc. It's not a magic pill and you still have to work hard though. I have also recently learned that there are some foods with a chemical that causes you to have more issues with the thyroid gland, such as peanuts. Others will cause your body to not absorb your meds as well.
  • ilovedogs
    ilovedogs Posts: 77
    Options
    I don't have hypothyroidism, but I do have knowledge of it. The T3 and T4 hormones that are produced by the thyroid gland regulate the rate of metabolism. When you are taking a medication that makes these hormones be produced at a normal level, it will increase your metabolism, since it has been slowed down from the disease. So, yes your medication will help increase the rate of your metabolism thus allowing weight loss to be easier and faster.

I have half a thyroid gland and was put on levothyroxine, since then I have gained 2 stone, no energy, cold hands and feet, slow metabolism. Every time I get my bloods checked I am in the normal range, so I do not agree when people say yes you will lose weight. sinthetic thyroid medication is crap, the thyroid gland produces hormones that regulate metabolism and this a very presice and no medication can replace it.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I have half a thyroid gland and was put on levothyroxine, since then I have gained 2 stone, no energy, cold hands and feet, slow metabolism. Every time I get my bloods checked I am in the normal range, so I do not agree when people say yes you will lose weight. sinthetic thyroid medication is crap, the thyroid gland produces hormones that regulate metabolism and this a very presice and no medication can replace it.

Sounds like maybe you need different meds. They told me that Synthroid is always the doc's first option but it's not always successfull.
  • colleentrt
    colleentrt Posts: 10
    Options
    Welcome Lori, I too have an underactive thyroid and have had it for years. In my experience it is very difficult to loose weight with an under active thyroid but not impossible! You may have to work a little harder and it may take a little longer. I am struggling with 10lbs. I try to keep on top of my weight because I know how hard it is to loose. Good luck!
  • colleentrt
    Options
    Thanks for the positive note! It is very encouraging to me who sometimes gets frustrated it takes so long! Congrats on your weight loss and staying determined!
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have both also, found out about it 6 years ago. And having gotten older, my weight has gone up. I feel like I am going nowhere fast. I will just keep at it, and guess I could eat better. I wonder if the condition can effect the joints?
  • colleentrt
    Options
    Sherry I am with you! Up 10lbs and just can't seem to take it off. I think the older you get makes it even more difficult. I keep trying though!
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well (Hashimoto's). I was diagnosed at age 19 and it was really severe by the time I was diagnosed- just thought I was very depressed, slept most of the day, was actually very thin at the time because I was so depressed just didn't feel like eating. The thyroid medication made a huge difference in my life. I never miss a dose and have it checked every 6 months, unless it's messed up and they have to change the dose, then I have to have it checked sooner. I am 48 now. Also, keep in mind that it is often hereditary (my sister, my dad, my grandma all hypothyroid and my brother is hyperthyroid so if relatives symptomatic I would recommend they get checked). As far as weight loss, I don't think it makes a significant difference in my case. Good luck!
  • johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and am interested in the comments about foods that help or hinder thyroid function.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have Hyothyroidism (hoshimotos of thyroid as well) and have been on medication for probably about 14 years now. In the beginning it fluctuated around a bit til the medication was regulated. I have always had difficulties losing weight to start with and then keeping it off. I was at the doctor about 6 months ago as weight had crept and crept on and was explaining how I felt extremely sluggish and overweight and depressed that I was trying to exercise and eat right and nothing was happening. My medication was nearly doubled and due to that I was pretty much told it was be extremely difficult to lose anything at all. I decided I was not going to take that for an answer as I was practically splitting the seams of my pants at 200.6 pounds and I decided to give it "all or nothing". I started with joining a gym. I have given up all white flour/bad carbs/junk of any kind/pre-packaged foods and condiments (hidden calories) of all sorts. Have been eating good protein and lots of vegetables and fruit. I have started a journal and logged everything going into my mouth until hearing of this site. I have worked out 30 minutes cardio & 30 minutes strength training 5 days a week with extra cardio i.e. walking/floor exercises on the other two days. I have beaten the odds and lost 23 pounds in 8 weeks and feel awesome. I am slowing going to continue this advice to myself and learned that it is not a diet but a lifestyle I will need to keep at especially for the benefit of my health. I hope this is encouraging. Oh and lots and lots of water.

This is me! I decided to finally give it "all or nothing" after being told I might need an operation. Anyway, this description above noting the hidden carbs, etc., is an eye opener. I haven't had the luck of the huge weight loss in 8 weeks but I am down a pant size. This was a major NSV. I follow this method above and I'm so glad I'm not alone :drinker:
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and am interested in the comments about foods that help or hinder thyroid function.
    Eat foods high in B-vitamins and iron, such as whole grains (if no allergy), fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.
    Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens.
    - I eat broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and spinach all the time though and haven't had an issue.
    If you take thyroid hormone medication, talk to your doctor before eating soy products. There is some evidence soy may interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone.
    -This is new to me and I just bought silk soy milk to add to my shakes. I will ask my doctor about this one.
    Taking iron supplements may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone medication, so ask your doctor before taking iron.
    Eat foods high in antioxidants, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).

Read more: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypothyroidism-000093.htm#ixzz1z3NbvrzR
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Also, I just very recently learned:
    Choose green tea over black tea. Some forms of food and drink affect the thyroid very directly, and quickly. (Read more about Thyroid Uppers and Downers) This is because they either increase or decrease thyroid hormone production, help/hinder the conversion of T4 into T3, or help/hinder the ability of the converted hormone to enter the body’s cells to do its work.

Read more at Suite101: Why Shouldn't I Drink Tea with Hashimoto's?: Tea Increases Hypothyroidism | Suite101.com http://suite101.com/article/why-shouldnt-i-drink-tea-with-hashimotos-a155115#ixzz1z3P98mXl
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have an underactive thyroid gland too and was on levothyroxine for years which wrecked my body. have recently switched to armour thyroid and feel amazing on it!
    I gained a ton of weight on my previous meds and felt so miserable because no matter how much I dieted or exercised the weight would not come off.

You should think about switching to armour....
    I could NOT even lose 1lb while on the levothyroxine no matter how hard I tried :(

Of course everyone is different but I have done a ton of research lately on it all and I believe Armour is the way to go.

Feel free to add me, I can email you the links to all the info I found if you want

:)
  • artslady96
    artslady96 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with an sluggish and dying thyroid in May and put on Synthroid. It also coincided with a bout of depression, so I only recently started weight loss on Syhthroid. However, I can attest to the fact that I didn't gain nearly as much weight as I usually do when I'm not carefully monitoring my food intake. Last year, I gained ten pounds in one day from a wedding (impossible, right) but, over the past two months, I gained only eight pounds; big difference.

As for weight loss, my understanding is that a properly regulated thyroid will make it easier for you to loose weight, but it isn't a magic pill that will make you loose weight. It just keeps your metabolism from working against you.

Overall, your goal with treatment should be to reduce all your symptoms from tiredness to hair loss to dry, brittle skin, etc. If you seem unable to loose weight with appropriate and sustained effort, then you need to bring it to your endocrinologist's attention. But, don't expect the weight to magically melt off from the pill alone.
  • johnscat1981
    johnscat1981 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you Michellesz.
  • LaGinny
    LaGinny Posts: 7
    Options
    I also am newly diagnosed with a low thyroid but not bad enough to go on medication (yet). I have a great Dr who has recommended Thyroplex - a supplement which has Zinc, Iodine, selenium and other minerals and vitamins. If this isn't enough I will need to look at permanent meds. I have done heaps of research and Armour (or a similar natural product) sounds like the best way to go as it provides hormones T4 and T3, as well as T2 and T1. Most synthetic thyroid meds only provide T4 and there is a lot of controversy about if this is adequate or not. I would encourage anyone on the synthetic meds to research, research and research some more if your symptoms aren't coming right and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion if you need it!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I also am newly diagnosed with a low thyroid but not bad enough to go on medication (yet). I have a great Dr who has recommended Thyroplex - a supplement which has Zinc, Iodine, selenium and other minerals and vitamins. If this isn't enough I will need to look at permanent meds. I have done heaps of research and Armour (or a similar natural product) sounds like the best way to go as it provides hormones T4 and T3, as well as T2 and T1. Most synthetic thyroid meds only provide T4 and there is a lot of controversy about if this is adequate or not. I would encourage anyone on the synthetic meds to research, research and research some more if your symptoms aren't coming right and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion if you need it!

Hi I have been taking selenium with vit a, c & e and iodine supplements and felt improvement within 3 days. more energy, weight loss, skin improvement on feet (really within 2 days I saw the diffrence!) and haven't been feeling depressed for a while. I take Selenium everyday and lost 20 lbs so far.I stopped taking the iodine because iI need to get a new batch and i read that too much iodine isn't good either, but I've noticed I started loosing weight again (I was on a plateau for about a month).
    I did some research online about using supplements and nutrients to stabilise my thyoride. I wanted to try it this way before taking prescribed meds for my own reasons.
    This is just my experience... hope it supports
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had most of my thyroid removed about 8 years ago and I'm on leviothroid and I have noticed, that it was working for awhile, but the past two years, things have changed for me. I am struggling with losing weight and my hair is driving me insane - I have it, then it falls out and my moods - let's not go there. I have been doing research and have found that my medicine is only for the T4 and I'm seeing my doctor in August and I'm going to ask him about trying something else, that has the T4 & T3. I have never heard of Armour, but it's worth talking to him about it! Thanks for the info!