How did you start to run?

Options
124»

Replies

• TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm jogging again and try to extend how many minutes to string together each time I go out. Walk some, then jog some. As the weight comes off, I push myself more to go longer and faster.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you're BRAND NEW to running I would suggest 'Run Your Butt Off'
    It really eases you into running from walking.
    If you are already doing spouts of jogging, though, then I would also suggest Couch to 5K.

And as far as apps go, ENDOMONDO all the way. The free version is super awesome, but the paid version, which I think cost me like 20 cents, is badass. It even shows you what music you run fastest to.

:)

It does WHAT!? I have the free version right now - I may be doing some upgrading. Glad I came back to the post!

Also - I started with C25K and NEVER ran before.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How did you all get passed the shin pain and splints? I am not joking. I can run a total of 3 minutes before the pain is so bad I am in tears. I have tired every thing from new shoes, to the way I run or don't run.

First, you need to let that inflammation heal so stick to walking until they feel better. Once they do, here are some suggestions taht worked for me. Try to increase your warm up. Walk, briskly for 10 - 15 minutes before you start running. Find soft surfaces (treadmill, dirt path, sand, or track) rather than concrete or asphalt. Ice your shins for 10 minutes after every run. You also need to do exercises that will strengthen the little muscles in the fronts of your shins. toe raises are good. You can find a bunch of exercises if you google "preventing shin splints". The good news is they do eventually go away and quite often never come back if you stick with it. Good luck!