Planet Fitness Yay or Nay?

Options
A new Planet Fitness is opening in my area next week. They are offering $1 to join $10/month.
I loathe gyms, I've had some bad experiences at them so what type of gym is it & is the personnel trained or is it just a pick up joint for all the members?

Replies

• MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Wow....wish I could go.

I consider 10/month pretty reasonable.

I'd join if you know that you are going to use it....otherwise don't waste your money. There are plenty of exercises you can do without a gym.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is very generic. There are no trainer program or high pressure sales to buy suppliments or trainer work outs. Thats good...

thats bad though if you want or need a gym that DOES offer more than "a room with equipment".

If you know you can structure your own workout, motivate yourself, ect... and just need access to the hardware - its great.

they also have no pool, sauna, whirlpool, ect. may or may not be important to you.

they also - at least the ones here - do not have classes on anything like most gyms - zumba, cardio kickbox, ect.

One other nice things is the juiceheads tend to stay away - you dont see many steroid monsters. You do however have to deal with TONS of high school kids since its so cheap - you end up dealing with the wrestling kids trying to shed water weight, and the young school kids making it a hangout.

I wanted a trainer, and access to more amenities to I switched to LA Fitness and love it.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is fine. It depends what you are looking for in a gym. There are no group fitness classes. The PT's are certified (at least in my part of the world) . They really do not encourage weight lifting and will embarrass members that may be lifting to heavy. Also, they have many member appreciation days. This entails free pizza, bagels, and candy. I was a member at PF but then moved to Golds (for $10 more).

They do have the black card membership for $20/month which is free day care/tanning/free guests. That part I really liked (Not the tanning). They also have a 30 minute express workout station, which is nice, if you are beginning.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    PF here in my part of the world is very black and white.

no trainers
    no classes
    no extra anything

BUT worth the 10 bucks if that's all you want.

i go to Work Out World and it's 20.00 for unlimited classes and tanning (which i dont use but see people taking advantage of it) sauna, showers, etc.

they have personal trainers but i dont use them cause they cost more. they have a ladies only room. they have daycare. and WOWs are in way more places than just new england where i am.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I belonged to Planet Fitness in Wilmington, NC ... I LOVED IT ... It was affordable and they had the "Lunk alarm" where if someone dropped weights or grunted too loudly it would go off. I loved the 30 minute circuit training cycle. I would do that then run on the treadmills. Mine had a lot of machines I can't even find at my current gym. Yeah they don't offer classes or trainers but in all honesty I HATE THOSE AT THE GYM. i keep hoping a planet fitness will open near me all I want are the machines and freedom.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    This is an example of how a trainer would be used at my PF in New Hampshire:

http://www.planetfitness.com/clubs/10437/docs/group_fitness_training.pdf

Which is odd since RockStarSally (love the name) and I are both from New England, it seems!
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Think I'm going to wait, I was really hoping to take some yoga classes too & it's been YEARS, YEARS since I weight lifted or even been around equipment, think I would benefit from someplace with more structure
  • Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love PF!
  • workoutbarbie29
    workoutbarbie29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness. I have been a member for almost three years. They also have a special once a year, you can pay and entire year for $99. No complaints here.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    $10 a month is really good for a gym. I belong to planet fitness and I have the black card so it's 20 a month and you get free tanning and can bring a guest every time. It's basically one large room full of treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, and lifting machines and weights. There's a locker room and showers but no group fitness classes or anything. You can sign up for personal training.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's a treadmill farm with a couple weight machines. If you ever decide to do compound weight lifting programs, you will very likely have to find a different gym.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Don't go if you ever plan on doing any actual strength training. From what their ad campaigns tell me, your act of actually making an effort will hurt other people's feelings, and they'll have to ask you to leave because a gym is meant to be a place where you look cute and feel comfy.

This video also sums up my opinion of the place pretty well.
    http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-september-14-2011/the-plight-of-muscled-americans
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I was a member for a year, then I changed memberships to another local chain (they have one location in each major town around here). PF was fine for... Being on a treadmill I guess. But it wasn't particularly clean, the equipment was usually crowded, and the weight machine options were very limited. For me it was not a bad "starter gym" because for $10, when you are just getting into the fitness "scene", there's not much you need. But I'm really glad I switched to the gym I'm at now, it's worth the extra $10 a month.

Edit: after reading taso's post, I'm reminded of one reason why I left PF. The numerous pizza/bagel days are there to keep you fat, so you keep paying $10 a month. I LOVE the ability to take a class that interests me so PF had to go because they don't offer any.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. $10 a month is really reasonable, so I don't feel guilty anytime I do more exercise outdoors than at the gym for example. Plus, it's the closest gym to my house, so very convenient. They have basic cardio & strength equipment and no classes, but if that's ok with you then I say go for it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you're ok with just using machines, then it's a cheap option. If you want to do real weightlifting, it's not an option.

They have something called "Lunk Alarm" which is literally an alarm they blow if somebody is doing real weightlifting. And they have a pizza day once a week or once a month or something. I'm not joking! :laugh: It's like the Shake Weight of gyms.
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    I work out at PF and I like it. I came from an all ladies gym so at first it was adjustment working out with guys. But I am actually like it because I learn some different modalities fromthe guys. I also see my father and brothers while working out. It's not like the mega gyms. There is no lunking allowed. So guys are not in there grunting loudly and throwing weights on the floor, etc. Their hours are good and it's cheap! Overall I enjoy it.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    It is very black and white. I know it did not offer classes which I wanted, and I wanted a pool. And since those were important to me, PF was not the way to go for me. I went to 24 and I have to say I have missed it.

ETA: PF and 24 are the only two I had to choose from in my area - so rather limited.

It just soley depends on what you are looking to get out of the experience.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A gym worse than 24 hr Fitness? :indifferent:
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    That's where I go.

I love it.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options