Ever had lunch just sorta sneak up on you?

Options
So here's an argument for logging your food *before* you actually eat it. Went out to lunch today with a friend at work, and thought to myself, "I am gonna do this right - keep it to under 400 calories, good carbs and lean protein."

Well, best laid plans, right? I ordered a chicken caesar salad with no croutons, dressing on the side; and small side order of meatballs (I ordered 2, got three, and ate 1). I did have a dinner roll, which I dipped in olive oil - yeah, I knew that was bad as I was doing it. Mea culpa.

I'm trying to be fair about estimating amounts - which means I try to over estimate - and here's what I've come up with:
- 4 oz chicken
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 tblspoons salad dressing (obviously, for shame)
- 1 dinner roll (coulda shoulda passed on this)
- 1 tablspoon of olive oil (and this)
- 1 meatball (maybe 1.5 inches across?)
- 2 glasses of brewed iced tea, unsweetened

Based on these estimates, the calories come in at *726*!!! That just doesn't seem possible, but there it is. I am still under for the day (which is nice, considering it's only 1pm where I am!); but if I want to finish the day in a good place, I need to be really careful over the next 6-7 hours. A little protein, a few good carbs, and that is it...

If I had entered all of this before I ate it, I would definitely have made better choices - eg., I thougth I could get away with the roll, because of the 'healthy salad' - but man are they right when they say that you underestimate how many calories are in a given food, and how much they add up to.

Anyone else feel like you got side swiped by your lunch when you were actually trying to be good about it?