New to strength training, weight loss question.

Options
So I've recently (about a month) started to do weight training 2X week, plus 4X running (training for a 10k). On top of that, I'm trying to lose some weight.

I've also recently (about 2 weeks?) not lost any weight, just staying the same. Eating habits haven't really changed much. Is it because I'm strength training, gaining more muscle? I'm fine with it if that's the case, just wondering if this is normal.

Replies

• theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements recently? You could be losing inches instead of pounds. You look great and at your fitness level I'd be willing to bet you couldn't trust the scale, at all.

ETA - I know there are newbie gains but not sure how long they take to show up. Also, glycogen and water stores could be masking fat loss. :smile:
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have a great exercise program/balance. In my opinion weight loss and control is mainly driven by diet and nutrition. I used to focus 80% on exercise and 20% on diet. Now that I've turned that around I've lost all my stubborn weight. The key also though is not to worry to much about weight. When you are eating and moving optimally your body will get the messaging and adjust accordingly- sometimes very fast.

Edit; I agree that there are other metrics to measure your progress than weight. Take measurements at least once a week. You may find that your body composition is actually changing while your weight stays relatively the same.
  • murpcm08
    murpcm08 Posts: 8
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements recently? You could be losing inches instead of pounds. You look great and at your fitness level I'd be willing to bet you couldn't trust the scale, at all.

No I don't do measurements-but you're right, perhaps I should concentrate on inches not lbs.. the scale is just easier to do at the gym. :smile: Thanks!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    definitely check measurements. the scale has barely budged for me recently but i've lost another half a size i'd say.
  • sdurrahMpls
    sdurrahMpls Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree, check measurements. I started weight training 2 months ago in addition to my cardio. The scale went up at first, then back to what it'd started at and wouldn't budge for about a month. I started measuring inches and found that I'd dropped significantly. My pants went down 2 sizes, then suddenly, the scale shot down 10 lbs. Just stick with it!

You look great by the way!