Hypothyroidism - Can't lose weight!!!

Options
I've tried EVERYTHING and can't seem to lose weight. I've done weight watchers, the biggest loser 30 day jump start, Food Lover's diet, low carb diet, eaten between 1200-1300 calories, cut out soda and work out 3-4 days a week for 45 minutes on the treadmill. I've lost nothing. And trust me, I don't eat anything that I shouldn't, well maybe here and there. I've been told I eat the 90%/10% diet, but I was also told by a nutritionist that I wasn't doing anything wrong either. The only thing that I lost weight on was a shake diet, two shakes a day and meal between 600-800 calories...well of course I'd lose weight and unfortunately, it made me ill so I stopped. But I lost 10 lbs and have managed to maintain that. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 months ago and have been taking a low dosage of levothyroxide (sp?). My next step is to go see an endocrinologist and talk with a friend of mine who just became a nutritionist. I'll keep trying, till I find my answer and I FEEL completely healthy now but any thoughts on this matter would just lift my spirits about it all, i'm really starting to get depressed about it all. I like the way I look but I'm 5'3 180 lbs. I don't look it, i have an hour glass figure, but when I see myself in pictures, I HATE it!!!! :frown:

Replies

• cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Well MAJOR kuddos to you for not giving up the fight! I have seen many posts on here about other people that have hypothyroidism. Maybe you could do a search and see if you can find any helpful tips in those posts.

Sounds like you're on the right track so don't give up! Just keep trying and at least you are eating right and exercising. Whether or not you lose weight you are still getting healthy by doing those things.

You can do this! :)
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    They may need to change the dose of the meds. Are you having regular blood work done to check your numbers? I also have this and I am still losing weight.
  • Ian513
    Ian513 Posts: 10
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with hypothyrodism 6 weeks ago, started on the levothyroxine, 50mg I believe. I'm kinda in the same boat, I started running this year (I'm 42) after I broke my ankle nearly a year ago, was off it completely for 3-4 months, during rehab I was walking on the treadmill then in January 2012 noticed running on it helped it even more. So, after 41.5 years of having a normal thyroid, then starting to run, I suddenly have developed hypothyrodism....go figure....I'm 6', 209 pounds right now, I was down to 205 then went on vc for 2 weeks with the family, so, getting back into running as soon as I got back, I've actually gained a couple pounds, was at 207 right after vc (two weeks ago) now up to 209. I am more tone now (having to buy smaller clothes) so the weight loss is throwing me off a bit, they do say muscle weighs more than fat, so I'm marking it up to that....my leg muscles are developing even more now that I'm running even my post broken ankle calf muscle....

I run 5k m-w-f in under 38 minutes, I think its a 12:30 or so mile, I'm bumping that up to 5 days a week starting monday, hope that helps some.....not sure what to tell you other than to keep getting your blood work done, I have two neighbors around me (they're both in the healthcare field) that are on the same med, they say it takes some time to get the dosage right on, but once it is, you'll notice a huge difference.....they're both in very good shape and very slim, so I know it will come, it may just take some time to get the dosage right.....I just went in on Tuesday to get bloodwork, so anxious to hear how its all doing right now....

-Ian
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago, and I'm in the same boat as you. It is very frustrating and no one can imagine what it is like until they have experienced it. I too eat around 1,200 calories a day. Last week I averaged about 1,050 calories per day and gained almost a pound, so I am confused and discouraged. I keep trying too, but nothing seems to be working. I don't want to cut calories any more, but might try as I am curious how low I will have to go to actually lose something.
  • mjrye37
    mjrye37 Posts: 1
    Options
    I experience the same thing. Although to be honest I don't stick to anything for very long. But seeing some real progress would be encouraging and might keep me going. But the only time I have seen loss is when I do keytosis, which is basically low carb, protien diet. And it is hard to stick to. I go about 1500-1600 calories. Just started using this site, so I'm hoping that with real food tracking and some accountablility it will help. I have been on sythroid for about 4 years now, plus something for acne that seems to be caused by the sythroid and now something for too much estergen, also connected to the hypo. So the motivation is too loose weight to hopefully get off 2-3 or all three meds. I read somewhere that gluten could be connected to hypothrydrism. Good luck to those of you with this.
  • gmtalian
    gmtalian Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you to everyone.

cari4jc1 - Thank you. I've been doing the research and have found people who deal with it too, although it seems to me as everyone is different. I won't give up. In all honesty, I'm feeling FANTASTIC on the inside so that is what is most important. I might have to go a different route. Instead of losing weight, maybe I'll tone up next. lol.

RayRay1500 - Thank you. I'm not getting checked regularly. I will start making appts.

Ian513 - Thank you. Wow, thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you're on the right track too. Thanks for the advice. And it's because of you that I'll start to focus on "toning" the body.

lmc8774 - Thank you. Ugh! Thank you for sharing the frustration. I know. Like I said, the only way I lost the weight was the shake diet, but it's NOT a way of living unfortunately. Be careful. There HAS to be other ways. which is why I'm looking for it. :)

mjrye37 - Thank you. Congratulations for joining the site. I love it! I've only been on for a month now but the fact that I can track everything is perfect when I want to bring any reports to doctors/nutritionists etc. Even for my own self observation. Google your "type" of diet that you are trying to do. You'll be suprised how easy it is. I've done so many things, I'm getting more and more educated and don't plan on stopping. Good luck to you too!!!
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If I find something that works I'll let you know! Right now, just trying to be consistent and focus on eating healthy low calorie foods. We'll see what happens...
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have an underactive thyroid gland too and was on levothyroxine for years which wrecked my body. have recently switched to armour thyroid and feel amazing on it!
    I gained a ton of weight on my previous meds and felt so miserable because no matter how much I dieted or exercised the weight would not come off.

You should think about switching to armour....
    I could NOT even lose 1lb while on the levothyroxine no matter how hard I tried :(

Of course everyone is different but I have done a ton of research lately on it all and I believe Armour is the way to go.

Feel free to add me, I can email you the links to all the info I found if you want
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and gained a lot of weight after going on meds. It took over a year for my body to adjust and start dropping weight.

I spoke to my physician that I was concerned with the weight gain (about 8 months after going on meds) and he advised me to give it time and my body will stabilize and it did.

Give it time.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have been on eltroxin for about 7 years now and have just finally started to lose. I am doing 1200/day with at least 150g of protein spread between all meals and snacks and only one carb with breakfast. I also go to a crossfit gym for 6 hours a week with my trainer who has me doing everythingu under the sun you can thing of with cardio and weight and body resistance training. I have lost 18lbs in 2 months so far....agree with all that you have to do regular blood work and get your levels stabilized before anything else will work.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    U might need ur htc checked I get mine done every 3-6 months I've had it for 9 years currently on a high dose 120mcgs u can lose weight listen to ur body if u don't feel light chances are ur levels are off. Good luck
  • sara_d_jason
    Options
    Hi,

I have hypohyroidism since the last 10 years. You can loose weight I assure you but you body indeed does not react like everyone else and any professional that is treating you must be aware of that. I have a trainer for 1 year. I trained 2 a week and lost weigh because my clothes were too big and on the scale, it was showing that much. I am on a shake diet right since 6 weeks and I have manage to lose 15-17 pounds. I am also worried about my thyroid but I am schedule for a blood test every 3 months.

Don't loose faith and give yourself a chance.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    OMG This is so me 2 years ago. I did weight watchers spent a tone of money and didn't lose and once. I finally did some research of my own. Got my doctor to put me or Armour ( here in canada it's call desiccated thyroid horme) samething though. Within a few months I tried to lose weight again did but it was really slow. Since then I did more research on the site Stop the Thyroid Madness and they talked about a low carb diet. Well I am doing South Beach and I am down 14 pounds so far in 9 weeks. So this is what has worked for me. Tried other routs they didn't work. Get your meds straightened out first then go from their. Most who are hypothyroid (Hamsho) do well on low carb.
  • TheOriginalGinging
    Options
    If you've just started on the meds, it takes time to rebuild and get your levels to where they should be. I'm so glad you're here and not giving up! There are many of us with hypothyroidism--please feel free to add me!
  • BelMckenzie
    BelMckenzie Posts: 249
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I am on a low dose of levothyroxine for the past year and a half. I struggled with weight loss for awhile, but through this website tracking everything that comes in my mouth and all my exercise, I have lost 25 lbs since February. I have a slightly slower weight loss then others, but I also have not cut anything from my diet besides soda. I am very happy with my progress and am finally back where I started before my thyroid issues. I also get my thyroid tested every 6 months. So through my medication and hard work, I will be able to maintain a healthy weight but it will be something I have to work at daily.

Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    What are your levels pre-med and on the meds? They should be testing you every couple of months and adjusting hte meds until you get the right dose. It will be slower for you to lose weight, but definitely not impossible. I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and have lost 55 lbs. in about 13.5 months.
  • Ubbergirl
    Ubbergirl Posts: 5
    Options
    I have had hypothyroid for over 20 years. I can't lose a pound either and I have tired EVERY diet. I am very active and exercise 5-6 times a week. I LOVE exercise and have done several 5K's with a DIrty Girl Mudd run coming up. Thyroid disease is awful. I can tell when my levels are off, but I am out of strategies for losing weight. I'm just always glad when I haven't gained although I can gain 5 pounds over night for no reason. I just started juicing and LOVE it. I enjoy a ton of vegetables and fruits. I focus on feeling good. Not so much my size. But I'm 51. I am not on the 'market" anymore even if I wanted to be, women of my age are no longer on the radar. So, as I head into middle age, my focus is health, eating well, absolutely no junk food, (I'm not a fan anyway) sleeping 8 hrs a night-balance basically. I still keep a food diary and have been obessed in the past, but what for? Time to embrace life, including hypothyroidism.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Most of the people replying (including the OP) are probably not eating enough during the day. I mean, it sounds like you all are active and if you're only eating 1,200 calories a day, that is WAY too low - even for those of us (me included) who have hypo.

I work out between 45-60 minutes 5-6 days a week, alternating running days with a bootcamp class at the gym. I NEVER eat less than 2,000 calories a day - which would probably be the equivalent of eating back exercise calories. I've been losing around 2 pounds a week, and I'm on levothyroxine.

My suggestion: go to fat2fitradio.com and use the military body fat calculator first to determine your body fat percentage, then do the Calories and Metabolic Rate calculator to determine how many calories you should be eating each day based on your activity level. THIS WORKS!! Prior to following this, I was only eating 1,400 calories a day and NOT eating back exercise calories and wasn't losing weight. Upped my calories to what fat2fit suggested and the weight has been consistently falling off each week.

NOTE: If you eat the calories suggested by fat2fit DO NOT EAT BACK EXERCISE CALORIES.
  • lilangel317
    lilangel317 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I have an underactive thyroid gland too and was on levothyroxine for years which wrecked my body. have recently switched to armour thyroid and feel amazing on it!
    I gained a ton of weight on my previous meds and felt so miserable because no matter how much I dieted or exercised the weight would not come off.

You should think about switching to armour....
    I could NOT even lose 1lb while on the levothyroxine no matter how hard I tried :(

Of course everyone is different but I have done a ton of research lately on it all and I believe Armour is the way to go.

Feel free to add me, I can email you the links to all the info I found if you want

Levothyroxine is the generic for Synthroid. (I worked as a pharmacy tech for 12 years plus I have an underactive thyroid as well). My doctor will not allow me to take anything but the brand name Synthroid because Levothyroxine is not as effective controlling the thyroid hormone levels. My first doctor put me on this (the generic) and I was not feeling any different. Always tired. Couldn't get pregnant. (you wouldn't think it would have anything to with your thyroid but it does.) My new doctor changed me to what I am taking now which is the 50mcg of Synthroid and I have been taking that for 10 years. It made all the difference in the world. I was able to get pregnant almost two months after I started taking it and without diet and exercise I lost a couple of pounds the first month.

Do talk to your doctor about your meds and get your levels checked often until they find out which medicine works best for you. Everyone is different but this was just my experience. Your endocrinologist will also be able to help get you meds right. Don't give up!
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for over 30 years. I am 50 now. High dosage of 125mg. I am checked every six months. I have lost weight in the past successfully.
    I agree with everyone, you really need to get stable. But don't give up!!