What if you HATE veggies?

Options

Replies

• CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower! Steam and mash like potatoes, add a little garlic, maybe a tbs of lite cream cheese....YUM!
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There are a couple ways I eat them:

1. I eat them with Bisto gravy and ketchup and they taste really good,
    2. sometimes I cook them in a little olive oil and add a little salt and garlic,
    3. I also add them to pasta sauce and eat them with whole grain pasta

Hope this helps!!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Vegans...they are great with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Wait...what?.....OH VEGGIES! My bad.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, who loves all fruits and vegetables. But, I think you shouldn't eat anything you don't like. Yes, eating a variety of fruits and vegetables is optimal, but you can certainly survive without them. Plus, many things are actually disguised vegetables, such as tomato sauce for example.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm the opposite- don't care much for fruit, but love veggies.

Anyway, keep eating them. Try different kinds. Try different preparations. Don't eat them canned. Honestly I think the best way to eat most fresh veggies is to lightly steam or boil them and toss with just a little salt and pepper. The more you eat them the more accustomed to them you'll become. Good luck!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    How long do you think you're gonna last on a diet full of foods you hate?
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have you tried butternut squash? Cut it into wedges and roast in the oven with some spray oil and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Sooo good!
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try V8 fusion. It tastes like fruit but has veggies in it. Also Naked Juice could be an option too.

Smother your celery in low sodium peanut butter, dip your carrots and broccoli in light ranch dip, and there's nothing wrong with eating veggies cooked.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Have you tried roasting them? I think roasted veggies take on a whole different flavor. Roasted red peppers, eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes are yummy, but I am a veggie lover so...
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Try veggies that are light in flavor, like cucumber.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of what's already been said.

There are tons of different veggies out there, you just have to be a bit adventurous, try new things.

I thought I hated apples all my life, turns out I just hated red apples (which is always what my parents bought). The same applies with veggies. I thought I hated squash, nope, just don't like some types of squash. I love carrots but don't give me those crappy baby carrots that smell like chlorine.

I agree cutting them up and adding them to dishes works well too. I think that's why I like making rice dishes, because I can add so many cut up veggies in them.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I would say that you probably have more capacity to eat veggies than you realize. This is what I would suggest: Try only one gourmet veggie recipe per week. I believe that if you begin to eat more veggies, you will develop a taste for them. I don't believe that you cannot like veggies. I am a mom and this is how I get my children to eat healthy foods (not that you are a child:laugh: !). by introducing them to them...pretty soon they develop a taste for them. Small changes! :)MinMin

BTW I also think that is how to change your appetite for "bad habits"....just start moving away from them.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    guess you're just screwed... LOL no JUST KIDDING! :flowerforyou: If u don't like them, don't eat them, enjoy the fruits you like and don't worry about the veggies. :happy:
  • FCDBilotti
    FCDBilotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE pasta fan. I've started eating the "veggie infused" pasta to at least get one serving. Also there are a few V8 varrieties out there that can help you at least get some of the vitamins needed from the veggies.
  • peterses
    peterses Posts: 4
    Options
    I hate veggies too...but I LOVE the v8 vfusion juice...the acai blueberry is wonderful and also the concord grape raspberry. theres a full serving of fruit and a full serving of veggies in each serving.

i love the v8 fusion juice too, but there's actually only a half serving of fruit and a half serving of veggies in on serving of juice. the way they advertise it is pretty sneaky, but that's what the fine print on the bottle says. but, altogether that's still a full serving if you put them together and aim for 5 fruits or veggies a day!
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat "clean" (no processed foods), a hatred of vegetables is going to be difficult. I would start with juicing, perhaps. Your own! Get your kale, spinach, and then add some lemon or a half apple ... delish!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I used to hate all veggies except for corn and I would never eat salads. But that all changed when I decided to lose some weight. I became a lot more open-minded and figured out what I liked.

Salads : I figured out that I don't like specific lettuce types. The ones I do like are romaine, red leaf lettuce, love the Fresh Express Butter Salad Mix. I made salads yummy to me by adding things I like. Some chicken, feta, chopped bell peppers, avocado, red onion, a couple of croutons, etc. It's all about making it work for your tastes.

Veggies: I learned that I like cauliflower, when it's roasted in the oven. I put it on a baking sheet in small florets, toss them in a little olive oil, garlic salt, & pepper & put the oven at 400. So good. I also love sweet potatoes, roast the whole potato in the oven, or slice into french frys & baked at 400, treating the same as cauliflower. Green beans are also great if you use them fresh! I ador bell peppers, you can dip them in some hummus! You just have to play around with things because there are so many different ways to season and/or cook veggies.

Broccoli, however, will never be good. Blech :sick:

Hope this helps!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Roasting them in olive oil, esp broc, cauliflower and green beans, makes them much tastier and still good for you. There's great recipes on Skinny Taste.com...
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I think green salad packed with veggies is my favorite food!! Fruit on the other hand, I only like a few fruits.....

I would just try to cook them all different ways, there are so many good veggies, I bet you will come across a couple that you like. I always eat cuccumbers with a little lemon pepper sprinkled on them.....yum yum. Or marinate them in fat free Zesty italian dressing. And according to me anything dipped in a little ranch is the best. :)

Good luck, veggies are so good for you.
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    CarrieQuiteContrary Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love both but I still have a hard time eating them!