Drinking water vs. drinking tea

Options
Does anybody know how much you can count drinking tea that you can go towards your water intake for the day? I'm getting burned out on water!! Thanks!

Replies

• Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I so wanna know this!! When i drink water i can never manage 2 litres and i'm forever going to the loo! People at work will be thinking i have a tummy upset!!
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    If you're making it with just water and tea bags, I don't see why it wouldn't be equivalent to just drinking plain water! Bottled iced tea is a different story.
  • MissLynne10
    MissLynne10 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was told that tea can count entirely towards your water intake, but to not make it where you drink tea more than water.
  • mammakc
    mammakc Posts: 2
    Options
    great question! I would like to know also because I always feel like i am swimmimg.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Water is water, whether its plain, in tea or coffee. The only problem with tea and coffee is that they make you eliminate water as well. I buy pure unsweetened juices and add a little to a glass of water to give it some flavor. I also like coconut water.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    For everyone who feels like they are swimming, tea is a diuretic so drinking more, theoretically, will make you have to go more too :)

Why not use some crystal light or other flavorings in your water? Even adding some lemon really changes the flavor a lot.
  • davidwh79
    davidwh79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink tea a lot, I mean more than water to be honest. I drink pure black tea, no sugar or any additives. It actually comes in 1 liter or 12oz glass bottles. It is100% natural and has 0 calories. I think that should constitute water consumption just as much as plain water.

Anyone interested in my favorite tea can go to the link below.
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I heard that if it's green tea with nothing in it, it counts. Not sure about other kinds.
  • shari227
    shari227 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What I have always understood is that if the tea is decaf and has no calories it can count as water.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Any drink under 10 calories I consider water. More caloric drinks are logged as what they are. Most drinks I consume are in the water category
  • kris0211
    kris0211 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would agree not to drink more tea than water, but you can count it as water. I have been able to drink TONS more wather with the "water enhancers" from Wal-Mart. They are cheap, no calories and give my water that extra sweetness that makes it GREAT!!
  • IBetterShapeUp
    Options
    With or without sugar? I gave up my homemade ice tea with sugar. Crystal light is my replacement. 0 calories. I can drink a quart no problem. Try it, you might like it, they even have appletini (nice with liquor), lemonade, all types of flavors.
  • davidwh79
    davidwh79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light is good, but it contains Aspartame and preservatives. I don't like artificial sweeteners and preservatives in my diet as much as possible. The sweeteners in particular cause me gastrointestinal problems.
  • stacieduncan
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments - wow, such great ideas too!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Be careful, some studies say tea is bad for your teeth. It can weaken and/or stain.

Healthwise, though, tea is practically water.
  • schmoogie813
    schmoogie813 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One thing that I do is make a 9 oz. cup of green tea, after it steeps, I put it in my 24 oz water bottle and add water until it's full. Then I am getting my water intake with flavoring.
  • oh2lose
    oh2lose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist with Anthem BC BS told me you can count tea or coffee as water, but be careful because caffeine depletes water from your body.
  • stacieduncan
    Options
    yeah, and I also heard that cafeinne makes you hungry.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Due to the level of caffeine and its diuretic effect, most teas cannot be used to replace water. For every cup of tea you should drink another cup of water to replace it's dehydrating effect. The only exceptions to this are decaf teas and white teas from the Fujian area. Their caffeine levels are low enough that the diuretic effect does not cause dehydration.
  • Jaxta65
    Jaxta65 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Due to the level of caffeine and its diuretic effect, most teas cannot be used to replace water. For every cup of tea you should drink another cup of water to replace it's dehydrating effect. The only exceptions to this are decaf teas and white teas from the Fujian area. Their caffeine levels are low enough that the diuretic effect does not cause dehydration.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/5281046.stm

Check this out, glad I found it because I love drinking tea