What's your position on snacks at night?

Options
Like most everyone on here, we hear the constant guideline of not eating past 7, or similar. How do you feel about it? And if you do snack, what do you have?

Replies

• _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I normally do not snack after supper. If I am hungry I will have some fruit or a yogurt.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want -- as long as it fits into my daily calorie goals.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I eat something before bed every night.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i eat a snack right before bed every night. feed my muscles!! i make sure its a slow releasing protein with healthy fats though. steal my recipe;)

-1 scoop casein protein powder (i use cookies n cream by ON...chocolate is yummy too)
    -1 TBSP natural nut butter
    -add almond milk and mix until its pudding like

freeze for half hour

thank me later. ;)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't think your body is going to tell the difference between 7am or 7pm. I don't know how your body works at night regarding digestion, but if you aren't going to bed till like 10pm or after, why shouldn't you eat at or after 7pm? Hell I usually have Dinner at around 7pm, sometimes 9pm. I've had it at 10pm and went to bed an hour later. I didn't see any weight gain or had any problems with it.

I've snacked just before bed as well.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My position on snacks at night - YES PLEASE!

I snack after dinner all the time. Like probably several hundred calories worth of snacks. Almost every single night.

I've lost 36lbs.

Your body doesn't care when you eat. There is no switch that magically makes all food turn to fat if you eat after 7.

As long as it fits your goals, eat what you want, when you want.
  • OhKelsey1
    OhKelsey1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I work at a restaurant, and my shifts are usually from 4:30 to 10:00, so I HAVE to eat late at night. My body is so hungry from being on my feet and running around for hours. I try to make them light snacks--usually a granola bar and cereal, so almost identical to my breakfast. But yes, I do eat late at night, because that's the only way my schedule works.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I save calories for a late night snack. 60 cals min- a pudding cup ;-) up to chips and mango salsa, just depending on the calories left. Figure it's better to let myself have it then fighting it!
  • Hartbeatak
    Hartbeatak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So I often find myself eating pickles in the middle of the night. I sleepwalk to the kitchen and get out the jar and a fork. Maybe I'm low on salt... So anyhow I don't think this could be too bad as I'm keeping food in my metabolism and the pickles have no calories to log so...
  • brittanynicole109
    Options
    I used to do this all the time until I heard that it can make you hungrier the next day and make you want to eat more so I stopped and it really helped!
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    Before bed if I have left over cals I have cup of sweet tea and a biscuit :smile:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Does it put you over your calorie goal?
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want -- as long as it fits into my daily calorie goals.

Exactly. I usually don't eat dinner until 7:30 or 8 because I workout from 6 to 7:15ish.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options

^ my philosophy as well.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I like them sexy, hot, and waiting for me in bed.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Every night I eat a bowl of fruit and cottage cheese before bed and any thing else I want really. I make sure I burn enough calories during my daily workout to eat what I want, when I want.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Totally agree!
    I actually plan on having a snack in the late evening/night. I try to eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack or smoothie, dinner, elliptical, snack before bed.

I'll usually have somehting with peanut butter...usually peanut butter and banana chips, if I"m out of the banana chips I'll have peanut butter on crackers or 2 pieces of toast and jelly. Doing this doesn't effect my weight and I find it makes me feel better after my workout and I don't go to bed hungry. There is no harm in eating something late into the evening/night.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yogurt for me. And I don't really have a cut-off time as long as it fits my goal.

But if I can resist, I LOVE how skinny I feel the next day!!! It could be just the feeling of hungry stomach, but to me it FEELS like I think SKINNY feels like and I LOVE IT!
  • Barbara98
    Barbara98 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I always eat a Weight Watcher big fudge bar. It helps the sweet tooth and the chocolate craving :)
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    i eat a snack right before bed every night. feed my muscles!! i make sure its a slow releasing protein with healthy fats though. steal my recipe;)

-1 scoop casein protein powder (i use cookies n cream by ON...chocolate is yummy too)
    -1 TBSP natural nut butter
    -add almond milk and mix until its pudding like

freeze for half hour

thank me later. ;)

Yum! I will def be stealing! ;)