Proteins, Carbs, Sugars & Fat

Options
If your proteins, carbs, sugars and fat go over what they say you're supposed to have in a day, but you are still eating the right amount of calories..will you still lose weight? I don't really understand how it all works.

Would love some feedback and advice :)

Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• sallyrodgers34
    Options
    I think if you regularly go over your fat allowance you might not lose so much weight but I am often over on protein and under on carbohydrates
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am not going to post a book or anything (though I could on this subject). All I will say is I wouldn't so much worry about actual calories as I would just eating what your body needs. If you are eating good fats, a lot of protein, and clean carbs, you can eat to your hearts content and not have to worry about your calories.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Bump

I'm wondering this too!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Well if you go over on all three macros (Protien, Carbs and Fats) then you've gone over on your calorie allowance too - so chances are no you won't lose weight.

But if you are going over on one (preferably protein) and coming in enough under on another (preferably carbs imo) to even out the calories, and thus staying under your calorie allowance for the day, then yes, you'll lose just fine.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I am not going to post a book or anything (though I could on this subject). All I will say is I wouldn't so much worry about actual calories as I would just eating what your body needs. If you are eating good fats, a lot of protein, and clean carbs, you can eat to your hearts content and not have to worry about your calories.

Really? I don't know enough about this so I'm intrigued! So do you not agree that weight loss is "calories in vs calories out"??
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    What Captain said.

However, I changed my macros--I don't regularly track sugar, for example, since even an apple can send me over--so I'm MOST wary of overdoing fat and carbs. Protein, not so much. I also like to know how much fiber I'm getting and how much sodium, and have tweaked my percentages according to the opinions of some pretty highly-recommended nutrition sites/tools.

To get back to the point, though, going over on everything as a course of habit will definitely contribute to weight gain, especially if you're not working it off with regular exercise... but going over on one or two things on occasion won't hurt too much if at all.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am not saying that at all. what I am saying is that if you are eating the right foods you will have a hard time eating "too much". I have had days where I feel like I am eating all day long and I can only hit 1600 calories. The problem with the typical american diet is we are taught to believe all these foods we eat on a daily basis are good for us, and while I don't want to get into a big debate, most of them are really not as good as we are told. If you are getting proteins by eating lots of lean meats (not from dairy... and trust me, chocolate milk was a hard habit to break), getting fats from things such as nuts, avocados, olives, etc... and your carbs from things like fruits and vegetables (not bread), you would be surprised how much you will eat, how fueled your body will feel, and how much more energy you have throughout the day. Obviously there are TONS of dieting ideas and I don't claim to have all the answers, but I know what works for me and I have seen many plans that fail due to an uneducated decision.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    :happy:
    Sorry, I am not saying that at all. what I am saying is that if you are eating the right foods you will have a hard time eating "too much". I have had days where I feel like I am eating all day long and I can only hit 1600 calories. The problem with the typical american diet is we are taught to believe all these foods we eat on a daily basis are good for us, and while I don't want to get into a big debate, most of them are really not as good as we are told. If you are getting proteins by eating lots of lean meats (not from dairy... and trust me, chocolate milk was a hard habit to break), getting fats from things such as nuts, avocados, olives, etc... and your carbs from things like fruits and vegetables (not bread), you would be surprised how much you will eat, how fueled your body will feel, and how much more energy you have throughout the day. Obviously there are TONS of dieting ideas and I don't claim to have all the answers, but I know what works for me and I have seen many plans that fail due to an uneducated decision.

Thanks for the explanation! I get what you were trying to say now! I'm glad it's worked for you :happy: