Working out before breakfast? Working out twice a day?

Options
I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on working out before breakfast in regards to weight loss and health. I want to lose weight in a HEALTHY way. It seems like it makes sense to work out before breakfast because you are going to be burning your fat stores since you have not eaten yet.

I just did an hour on my elliptical this morning before breakfast and had a pretty good work out. I felt fine, not real hungry. I had a protein drink afterwards for breakfast.

Does anybody have any input on benefits or anything on working out before breakfast? Has anybody had any experience on how working out before or after breakfast has affected their weight loss?

Also, does anybody have any experience in working out twice a day improving their weight loss more than working out once a day? Like, doing 30 mins 2x a day verses doing 60 mins 1x per day? Like does it keep your metabolism up more of the day of you break up your work outs? Or just work out 45-60 min 2x per day?

Replies

• VisBella
    VisBella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Actually, it was listed as one of the "ten secrets to fat loss" by one of the fitness experts that I followed a couple of years ago. I can’t remember his name, but he suggested a cardio work out (gently) in the morning on an empty stomach. If you work out too hard, you’ll break down muscle (BADDDD) instead of burning fat (GOOOOD).
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Heard it's good with a workout before breakfast forweightloss, but apparently very individual whether you can do it or not. So if you're one of the lucky ones who can workout on an empty stomach i say go for it! I tried but doesn't work for me, I need a banana, a tablespoon of nutella or something to stop me from feeling all dizzy if I have a really early morning workout.
  • reneeeeeh
    reneeeeeh Posts: 54
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds 2 years ago and that was from only exercising in the morning. Now i'm struggling to lose weight and i'm mainly exercising in the early evenings. Not sure if it makes a difference but just putting it out there :)
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    My Friday morning PT has berrated me about not eating breakfast before working out. I have started to eat before and while sometimes I might feel a little sick during the workout (not a big morning person) I have to admit I am feeling better after the workouts now that I'm eating before.

So - for me it works.

He recommended having a bowl of porridge with a little honey on it at home before leaving, and on the drive into the gym a piece of fruit.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have always wo before breakfast and have been doing it for years.
  • jazzy43
    jazzy43 Posts: 16
    Options
    Some carbs in the morning for energy may be necessary but I work out before breakfast and then sometimes again in the late afternoon.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i haven't tried it yet as i get sick if i dont' eat, but might try it and do something light and see how it goes. i have worked out twice per day a couple of times and feel exhausted the next day. did boost my weight loss, though.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I don't eat before working out. It makes me nauseous, all that running & jumping around with food sloshing in my belly. And, eating after exercise gives me something to look forward to! :wink:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Read up on Intermittent Fasting- it's a whole style of diet and exercise built around working out on a empty stomach.

My short answer though is that you should work out at the time you feel the best and are most motivated. If you tend to want to blow off steam after work, working out in the morning might help you be more consistent. But if you're not a morning person, maybe evenings is better. Just do what makes you stick to your goal.
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    For strength training you should eat first and after, for cardio you should drink your protein shake before working out and then have your (complex) carbs after. Or so I've heard :)
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I workout before breakfast, so that I can workout. It's the only time I am able to workout with the schedule I've been blessed with.

Do what feels right for to your body. Try something and if it works keep at it, mix it up to keep your body interested.
    What works for my body may not work for yours and vise-versa.

Good luck with your journey!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 20 minutes on a treadmill before breakfast. Then, on my lunch break, I go to my gym. I do machines there. Per Doctor's orders, I need to get 45 minutes of exercise 5 times a week.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I need to not eat before exercising in the morning else I become indigested/move sluggishly/etc. On my gym nights (which start at 8 p.m.), I have a tablespoon of almond butter served on a slice of spelt toast. I have never became sick while exercising after eating that...I just wait to eat the rest of dinner till I get home. I used to get sick during my gym time all the time after eating (lightly). I can't wait till 10 p.m. to eat fully-no way no how.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Well, my two cents and I could be wrong. I work out early mornings with just a mug of coffee with milk to perk me up. And then I'll have breakfast when I reach my office. I don't think it matters much when we workout, just as it doesn't really matter when we eat. The key to losing weight is calorie deficit. And I find that if my dinner was high in protein, I'd usually have the energy I'll need to workout hard in the mornings.
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I work out before breakfast all the time. I get up at 4:15am and hit the gym for an hour. I mainly do it because it's the best time for me. If I go in the morning, I'm not missing out on family time in the evening. Also, my husband and I work opposite shifts. He's home in bed at that time and the kids are asleep. No one even knows I'm gone. I find the AM workout wakes me up and gets me going. And since I'm already a morning person anyway, it just adds to my joy and everyone else's utter annoyance at how chipper I am in the morning. I don't care what they think. I kicked *kitten* at the gym and I woke up breathing. To me, any day that starts with me alive is a GOOD day.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning as soon as I get up and I can't handle food as soon as I get up. I was going to start eating breakfast within an hour of waking up to see if it would make a difference and I was only able to do it once. I felt so miserable the whole time I worked out I never did it again but that's just me.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I roll out of bed, suck down a cuppa, and walk 45 minutes with my husband at 6 am . Then 4 days a week, eat light (berries and cot cheese), walk another 45 at 8 with friends. Upper bod dvd on other days and 45 min on st. bike at 4pm
  • peasgarden
    peasgarden Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
    These last days i've been excersicing during the evening today i excersice twice 30 minutes of circuit training in the morning and 30 minutes of cardio during the evening and i must say i'm back to my morning excersices feels amazing! Its a nice energy booster!!
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I wake up, I usually have half a glass of water and a couple bites of granola before heading out for a very short run. It wakes up my body so when I get home I can get more water in my system without feeling that sloshy feeling that too much water while I do some cardio. Then when I'm cooling down I usually find myself a little healthy breakfast before getting a bath before work. When I'm at work about 9-10am I have a fruit cup or a little oatmeal. and then lunch at 12. Then something sweetish around 2 (like celery and PB or 100 calorie snack pack) because I feel like my morning exercise energy has diminished by then. and at 5 I find dinner. 7-9 I usually find myself exercising some more for strength and abs, and before I go to bed I try to find some cottage cheese or a glass of milk for casein.
    I know that doesn't really dictate to only the morning, but I feel like your body needs to have a lasting supply of nutrition so that it doesn't abuse itself. I try to never eat more than my fist size in one sitting, and I carry around a 64 oz water bottle with me and try to drink 1.5-2 a day...
    As far as the morning goes, I often feel like my body doesn't know whats going on let alone my mind so to wake them up a little bit I eat a tiny bit before exercising. I don't know how many times I've tripped over my own feet because I'm not focused.
    I LOVE how I feel the rest of my day when I get a good healthy start.