How did you grow up?

Options
13»

Replies

• graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think my mother did fairly well with us. She cooked quite a bit, as I can clearly remember having some homemade fish pie. We also sometimes got things like campbells canned meatballs however, which I used to love. We always got a proper sunday roast, usually lamb, chicken or turkey with plenty of vegetables and potatoes. We were taken to restaurants from an early age also, including hotel restaurants and chinese. I remember I always got a small chocolate bar when I got out of school when I was about 7 years old. Sunday we had a sort of traditional tea however of pilchards or sardines on toast and malt loaf and some cake, I believe. My father sometimes made homemade spaghetti bolognaise, presumably he learnt the recipe when in Italy as a younger man. From 13, 3 of us became vegetarians so there were a lot of bean stews and homemade veggie meals which was probably pretty healthy.

After the age of 10, I did start eating a bit worse, having a lot of sweets and ice creams and the like, probably in reaction to abuse. My parents didn't really do anything about that, and gave me the money for such things. I was taken out when younger to a little cafe as a treat every week or two for cheesecake or a knickerbocker glory. I was not overweight as a child. I have never really been overweight, actually.

We travelled a lot so I got the chance to try all sorts of different foods. I never had any issues with eating fruits and vegetables.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Growing up, we had a vegetable garden (15x30 feet) out back as well as another on land we 'borrowed' from a neighbour. Our parents gave us a great appreciation for natural foods. Besides our gardens, we would 'forage' - morels, wild asparagus, puff balls, fiddle heads and my parents were extremely adventurous when it came to food. I remember them making tempeh and wine out of sumach berries. We were also fairly active - x-coutry skiing in winter and swimming all summer.

In term of a healthy lifestyle, we definitely got off to the right start.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i grew up in a healthy househood. i wasnt allowed to eat candy or any of the fun sugary cereals. the only time i was allowed *somewhat* free reign with candy was during halloween. my mom's opinion was, i earned the candy so i should at least get to eat it.

I was allowed snacks like chips and little debbies but it was only the snack sized portions and that was after i begged and begged and begged and was finally allowed to pack one or the other in my lunch.

we never ordered out. my mom cooked home every meal that wasnt a left over from another meal she cooked. we and everyone else in my family had a garden so there was always a network of tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, collards, peaches, berries and peppers. my great grandparents had a chicken coop so we also got fresh eggs. also it's not like i grew up in the country either. this was 1970's/80's in cincinnati :laugh:

i was a picky eater but that wasnt really an option in my house. you ate what got cooked or else you didnt eat. oh and not eating wasn't an option. my family is southern and west indian so there was no way i'd be telling my mom wht i would and would not be eating :laugh: my least favorite was liver. my mom would try and dress it up as hamburger by putting in a hamburger bun and sticking a slice of cheese on it, but i knew what it was.. the worst combination was liver and lima bean day :mad:

of course, once i got into high school my eating habits changed. i wanted to eat burgers, pizza and take away like the other kids and i started doing it. also i had more extracurricular stuff so we didnt have as many sit down meals as when i was younger, so i could get away with going to mcdonalds or something
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the 60s-70s and we ate mostly from scratch. Meat, starch, salad and a veggie. Sadly, the veggies were mostly out of a can. My mom hated cooking so we had a small rotation of the same meals: chicken/mashed potatoes, spaghetti w/meat sauce, meatloaf/baked potato, etc ... always with a green salad and awful veggie. Breakfast was always oatmeal or another hot cereal. Lunches were peanut butter sandwiches with whole wheat bread and fruit (nearly always an apple, orange or banana). We drank powdered milk. We rarely had dessert. We seldom went out for dinner. My brothers and I were all skinny. My mom struggled with her weight after the last kid but in reality she was probably only 20-30 pounds overweight. My dad was a stocky muscular man from a physical job but he liked his beer so he had a bit of a belly.

I still eat meat but try to limit my carbs. I hated veggies as a kid but now I love fresh veggies either sauteed with onion and garlic in olive oil or over the grill (in a grill pan). The only thing I eat out of a can these days is tuna and sometimes beans. Instead of hot cereal I prefer eggs for breakfast. For the most part, whatever I eat for dinner is what I eat for lunch the following day. Which means meat, veggie and usually a salad.

When I first moved out of my parents house I started eating a lot of fast food and junk food (chips, candy, etc) that we never had growing up. I was surprised at how bad I felt even though it didn't cause me to gain any weight. I wish I still had the great metabolism that I had back then!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Lived on a farm growing up. We grew a garden. We canned and froze veggies. Made homemade salsa. Homecooked meals every day...big meals, cooked with real ingredients, not fat free, sugar free stuff. I can actually remember when my mom started buying snack cakes to bring in the house, so I was probably in high school by that point. Had our own beef cattle.

We were very active, doing things outside, at the lake, at the park. Played all sports.

I still grow a garden, still eat beef from my dad's angus cattle farm. Still am active, love being outside. Still involved in sports, I coach.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was born in the 70's, both parents worked to make ends meet. Dad was a Type 1 diabetic so no sweets were in the house, if he couldn't eat it no one could (not his rule just the way it was). My Mom would make alot of pasta dishes, she was first generation italian american, lots of red sauce very little cream sauce. We didn't eat alot of red meat it was to expensive.

When I was older I started working at McDonald's to pay for horseback riding lessons and later board bills for my horse. I started eating there because it was free when I worked and I worked alot. After college I began riding and training horses professionally and I still ate at McD's and Wendy's. I would skip breakfast and dinner and lunch would be a Big mac, large fries and a diet soda. I was also working from 8am to 8pm always on the move either riding, teaching or cleaning up the barn and was at my skinniest.

I started putting on alot of weight when I was in a car accident in 2002 and could no longer ride or be as active as I was but didn't really change my eating habits. I would eat 3 meals but they were junk food until 2 years ago, after I was married, had a child and lost my father. I realized what I was doing to myself and found this site. I was ready to make a change so my son doesn't have to learn the hard way what I am learning now. He eats what we eat no matter what and it is portions appropriate for his size. Junk food is allowed in the house but it is in moderation. Fast food is ok but less then once a week if we don't have a choice and if you get a burger no fries get apples instead. We are trying to make it common sense for him.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Born in the early 70's. Family dinners all together every night. All special events or holidays involve a big meal. Dessert after every meal, plus lots of snacks in the house. I mostly got fat due to being sedentary (my mom never exercised either) and then starting in high school depression/anxiety/emotional eating.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I read these threads day after day and am extremely impressed how healthy some of these people are...were you raised like this? How did you learn these behaviors?

I grew up in the 50's and 60's. We had to eat everything on our plates whether we liked it or not. If my dad liked it, we had to learn to. Dessert wasn't in the family budget (except for holidays) and snacks were mostly for my dad. We had our meals and a RARE treat....like if the ice cream man came around and we had some extra money. Sometimes mom would buy donuts or cinnamon bread from the bread man . Pasta, macaroni, noodles, bread were king in our house because they were cheap. I was overweight from the time I was 11 years old.

I had to learn how to eat on my own....and it took a long time....TOO long. If I had learned when I was a kid, I might not be diabetic now. I learned that Diabetes doesn't happen in a year or 2 years....the possibility starts when you are younger and eat whatever you want. That's what I did after I got married....I was making up for all those years living at home. I not only kept OD'ing on the carbs, I ate all the junk I couldn't have when I was a kid. And now I am paying for it.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Funny, my brother and I were just talking about this, because all three of his young daughters are overweight.

I was born in 1974. At my house, we ate whatever mom put on the table and that was it. If we didn't like it, we just didn't eat. She never forced us, and she never gave us a choice about what we "wanted" to eat. We either ate or we didn't -- our choice.

For breakfast, we usually had Cheerios or Raisin Bran with 2% milk, Cream of Wheat, or occasionally on the weekends scambled eggs and bacon or pancakes. We never ate toast that I can remember. Lunch was typically a ham and cheese or PB&J sandwich, an apple or orange, and a homemade chocolate chip cookie. Dinner always involved a meat and vegetable (broccoli, cauliflower, or brussel sprouts usually). My mom sometimes made a pot of spaghetti with meat sauce with salad as a side. Occasionally we got a bowl of neopolitan ice cream for dessert.

We hardly ever snacked. We ate our three square meals, and that was it. There was no "sitting on the couch with a bag of potato chips and a tub of french onion dip" going on, like I see my young nieces do now. We weren't even allowed to go into the refrigerator or cupboards. If we were lucky enough to get some potato chips, my mom would give us five or six chips and that was that. We drank either 2% milk, water, or Kool-Aid. Getting pop was a special occasion, and even then we would only get half a glass. We very rarely ate fast food or ordered pizza. If we did eat McDonald's, we each got a junior cheeseburger or McNuggets and all four of us kids split a large fry. There weren't a lot of sweets in the house. My mom made homemade chocolate chip cookies sometimes, or we got popsicles.

In other words, although we may not have had the most well balanced meals all the time, I didn't grow up in a world that revolved around food. I don't remember ever being that concerned about food as a kid. As a result (maybe?) neither me or my brother or sisters have ever been overweight. (Obviously I'm here to lose about 10-15 pounds, but I'm well within a healthy weight for my body -- I'd just like to be a bit thinner and fit.) I really appreciate that now. I've never been a big snacker or sweets eater, and I really think it is because of how I grew up.
  • KeriLoy
    KeriLoy Posts: 23
    Options
    Sorry I couldn't read all the posts *mouth watering memories*.....
    1. Clean Plate Club
    2. If you finish what is on your plate ...you get dessert
    3. Good ole fashion cooking...nuff said

I was a skinny bean pole until after my 3rd child was born...the I don't know...I think gravity hit :cry:
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I was born in 1977. My brother and I grew up in the country with little money. We had lots of veggies from the garden and alot of wild game that we would hunt. We ate what was put in front of us or we didn't eat. We sat at the table as a family every night and ask to be excused before leaving the dinner table. We didn't snack alot and if we did want a snack we had to ask for it, there was no helping yourself. Dessert wasen't something we had very often. We had milk with dinner unless we were having sauerkraut (then we got soda because Mom said milk and sauerkraut didnt mix well lol). Otherwise Soda was for special occasions and holidays. We spent most time outdoors because we didn't have gaming systems, cable or computers and we didn't have A/C. I was 31 before I lived in a house with A/C (until then I had no allergies). We spent most of our time playing in the creeks, hunting or just exploring the 800+ acres we lucky enough to live on. So needless to say it wasen't until I started high school and started working when I really gained weight. I wouldn't change for childhood for nothing. My parents still live in the same place (and still no A/C). Brings back alot of childhood memories whenever I go home to visit.