Thinking about vegan...?

Options
Hi guys,

Well, I love my meat, but I just got done watching a documentary called "Forks Over Knives", and I'm sold that animal based proteins and dairy are not good for me. I just found a pretty good vegan website it looks like... called... vegweb.com. Just wanting some opinions from others who have tried vegan and what they think!! Also, is it a lot of work to switch over?

Replies

• BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi! First feel free to add me. I talk about being vegan on my site. Anyways, I was just like you. I was a country girl who LOVED her meat. :) My husband was vegan and when I got married I switched for him. It is actually not as hard as you think. Krogers is an amazing store. I cook mock meatloaf, mock chicken sandwiches, eat mock ice cream. Etc! Kroger has so many options for vegans. AND most resturants (including taco bell and burger king) have vegan friendly things, you just have to ask for them.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, feel free to ask. I'd love to help if I can. Way to go trying to be healthy. even when it is hard. :)
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi! First feel free to add me. I talk about being vegan on my site. Anyways, I was just like you. I was a country girl who LOVED her meat. :) My husband was vegan and when I got married I switched for him. It is actually not as hard as you think. Krogers is an amazing store. I cook mock meatloaf, mock chicken sandwiches, eat mock ice cream. Etc! Kroger has so many options for vegans. AND most resturants (including taco bell and burger king) have vegan friendly things, you just have to ask for them.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, feel free to ask. I'd love to help if I can. Way to go trying to be healthy. even when it is hard. :)

thanks so much for reply! yes, i actually live on a farm myself, and we sometimes have steak once a week! but like i said, i just watched this documentary and i'm actually willing to give it up because i was so convinced that it's not all that great for me.... but okay, i will add oyu!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian ... I eat very little dairy, eggs, etc. but I don't say no to them all the time.
    Anyway, I thought it would be sooo hard (I mean chicken is soooo good and burgers YUM). BUT I have found some really good replacements. VeggiePatch fake chicken nuggets are a great replacement. I also get veggie burgers from M and M meat shops (sounds bad but they are the best product I've found) are amazing!!! I would choose these over a regular burger any day. As well, Tofurky has some great products - veggie dogs, fake lunch meats, and more. I have only been vegetarian since last October, so I'm looking forward to making a fake Tofurky turkey in October for Thanksgiving :p:).
    I have started using spices a lot more in my cooking as well. A lot of veggies.
    As well, I eat a lot of beans. Chickpeas are my personal favourite ... we just put spices on them and bam they are amazing ... just look for some recipes :)
    I eat a lot of oats as well.
  • dyskras
    dyskras Posts: 54
    Options
    I love being vegan and there are tons of resources out there for tasty healthy vegan food.

I was vegetarian for a few years as a teenage and then I met my son's father who is Vegan. . Now all 3 of us are vegan in the immediate family and it's spread to a few of our friends and my Mom.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/ is kind of like my bible.

http://www.theppk.com - The Post Punk Kitchen - has some fun recipes, some healthy, some. . very not. (She is one of the authors of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. . So :p)

I will say this and it may be weird. . but i loved the taste of meat/cheese, but I don't miss it at ALL!

Just don't ask what happens when I get my vegan harvarti cheese (by Daiya - great for a vegan cheesey treat) . . It ain't pretty!

If there is any questions or anything I can help you with, please feel free to ask. I hope you add me!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Well, I love my meat, but I just got done watching a documentary called "Forks Over Knives", and I'm sold that animal based proteins and dairy are not good for me. I just found a pretty good vegan website it looks like... called... vegweb.com. Just wanting some opinions from others who have tried vegan and what they think!! Also, is it a lot of work to switch over?

The China Study has a lot of flaws (epidemiological, animal studies, etc.) so you shouldn't really jump to any conclusions from it. Plus, Campbell is heavily biased.
    http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=129
    http://beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-8e.shtml
    http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/China-Study.html
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You could read a load of primal and paleo stuff to get switched back?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    One documentary shan't convince you....

Watching one Michael Moore mockumentary does not make you an unemployed protestor protesting every thing while driving an SUV and sipping a Starbucks....
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lots of great links above - also check out www.happyherbivore.com for lovely recipes. Her books and meal plans are great too!
  • hapandleonard
    Options
    I've been vegan for about 6 months, and before that I was veggie for 7 years. It's the best thing I've done, I've lost loads of excess weight and I feel really healthy. I do it for ethical reasons, but the health is a wonderful bonus. I couldn't turn back now.

Good luck!
  • Halloch
    Halloch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I became vegan last October and LOVE it. My skin is clear. My energy has increased. I am at the wonderful age of menopause and guess what NO SYMPTOMS. Changing has been a piece of cake (vegan cake lol). Please add me as a friend.
  • cboscari
    cboscari Posts: 16 Member
    Options

The China Study has a lot of flaws (epidemiological, animal studies, etc.) so you shouldn't really jump to any conclusions from it. Plus, Campbell is heavily biased.

No offense, but all the sites you listed are far more heavily biased than Campbell's book, which actually doesn't advocate a pure vegan diet anyway. He states that trace animal ingredients in your food are fine, but try to avoid them. Two of the three sites you posted are the separate sites of two authors who have written one web based-criticism, both of whom seem to have a love of dietary cholesterol. Neither has a Ph.d (well, yet, in one case.) Campbell has the endorsement of many, many MD's and other academics. In addition, Campbells studies have been peer reviewed, although his book has not. I'll bet not one of the authors you link to can say that.

If you want to eat meat products, go ahead, but these sites do not change my mind about the book.

EDITED for grammar.
  • cboscari
    cboscari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Some people find the change hard, others find it easy. It just depends. Many people had luck doing the changeover in stages, especially if throwing out all the food in your fridge at one time might be too expensive an option. Some people start with Lacto-Ovo vegetarianism then start cutting out milk and eggs later.

Good luck!
    Chris
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a couple months, and vegetarian for 25 years before that. Personally I feel great and have no desire to consume animal flesh or secretions again. My reasons were mainly ethical but health was a factor as well.

I have always had awful sinus allergies that lead to infections several times a year. Doctors have recommended eliminating dairy (it's known to cause inflammation in the body) but I wasn't ready to hear that message at the time. This allergy season I've been vegan and all I've had to put up with are some itchy eyes every once in a while. No congestion, no medication! My husband and parents (and pretty much anyone who knows me) have been shocked.

And as a bonus: A shoulder injury that I sustained in Oct, treated with physical therapy in Feb/Mar (unsuccessfully because the issue was finally traced to severe joint inflammation), and was referred to an orthopedic for steroid injections (didn't go because I didn't like the idea of steroids), well, it has now resolved itself. I no longer have pain and have regained almost full range of motion.

One of my biggest suggestions for new vegans like myself is to check out some vegan food blogs and get into the kitchen. I've been having so much fun cooking a variety of healthy plant-based meals for myself and my family. Sure it takes some effort, but so do most things worth doing.

Most importantly though, I like the way I feel living a compassionate life.
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 5 years and can honestly say I'm better at 47 than I was at 37 :) I didn't find it particularly hard to switch over, just different. I find that I cook a whole lot more and eat out a whole lot less. There are some tricks but lots of help online, and of course feel free to add me (I know most of the tricks at this point haha), I'd love to have other vegans to compare notes with!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I was vegan for three years. All that soy did me in. It's not that healthy of a food item to consume in large quantities. At the time, most of the soy foods available were highly processed with elevated sodium levels. I also relied on grains and dairy a lot which, I now see, was not very healthy for me.

I was in great shape but not healthy. I hope you have better luck than I did.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think you should do more research before you make a decision. Don't make such a huge life change based on one documentary.

If you do decide to become vegan, do a lot of research on how to get all your nutrients. Getting enough protein can be more difficult. And unless you want to eat your veggies with the dirt still on them, you'll have to take a B12 supplement.
  • olivia_sweeetie13
    Options
    I actually talked to my doctor about this today. Meat isn't the bad guy. However, I'm still sticking to vegan just because it's easier to me. Just eat lots of fruits and salads, but always throw in some egg whites or some form of protein. If you don't, you'll just start burning muscle instead of fat which is kinda defeating the purpose lol
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options

No offense, but all the sites you listed are far more heavily biased than Campbell's book, which actually doesn't advocate a pure vegan diet anyway.
    The reason I said Campbell is biased is because he ignores the data that does not fit his agenda. Gotta sell books somehow I guess. So why exactly do you think those websites are biased?
    He states that trace animal ingredients in your food are fine, but try to avoid them. Two of the three sites you posted are the separate sites of two authors who have written one web based-criticism, both of whom seem to have a love of dietary cholesterol. Neither has a Ph.d (well, yet, in one case.)

Without appealing to authority (because the fact that Campbell has a PhD means nothing), can you specifically point to something you disagree with? Or do you just believe Campbell over them because he has more pokemon gym badges... er.. credentials?
    Campbell has the endorsement of many, many MD's and other academics. In addition, Campbells studies have been peer reviewed, although his book has not. I'll bet not one of the authors you link to can say that.

Most of Campbell's claims are not published within the peer-review process.
    The book/documentary claims statistical significance for a lot of the data when the actual data does not support it.

And can you address the fact he mostly relies on animal studies/epidemiology?
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, protein is not at all difficult on a vegan diet, as long as you're getting enough calories. It doesn't call for a lot (or even any) soy necessarily. Like any other diet, when properly planned, plant based diets are nutritionally complete -- and like any other diet, you do have to limit processed foods.

One of the things I love about it is that if you stick with whole fruits and veggies and whole grains, you can pretty much eat as much as you want and easily stay within calorie limits. I eat all day, 6 or 7 meals like a hobbit and am losing weight. I did have to switch away from the vegan junk food though, and yes it definitely exists lol
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

No offense, but all the sites you listed are far more heavily biased than Campbell's book, which actually doesn't advocate a pure vegan diet anyway.
    The reason I said Campbell is biased is because he ignores the data that does not fit his agenda. Gotta sell books somehow I guess. So why exactly do you think those websites are biased?
    He states that trace animal ingredients in your food are fine, but try to avoid them. Two of the three sites you posted are the separate sites of two authors who have written one web based-criticism, both of whom seem to have a love of dietary cholesterol. Neither has a Ph.d (well, yet, in one case.)

Without appealing to authority (because the fact that Campbell has a PhD means nothing), can you specifically point to something you disagree with? Or do you just believe Campbell over them because he has more pokemon gym badges... er.. credentials?
    Campbell has the endorsement of many, many MD's and other academics. In addition, Campbells studies have been peer reviewed, although his book has not. I'll bet not one of the authors you link to can say that.

Most of Campbell's claims are not published within the peer-review process.
    The book/documentary claims statistical significance for a lot of the data when the actual data does not support it.

And can you address the fact he mostly relies on animal studies/epidemiology?

Epidemiology has its place.

The issue with the China Study is that the epedemiological data does not support Campbell's conclusions in any way shape or form. For a proper evisceration of the book, look at Denise Minger's site:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/