Do you buy fast food for your kids?

Options

Replies

• Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My daughter is an adult now but when she was young she only got fast food as an occasional treat. When we first moved to this area she was 8 years old and a lot of her new friends had fast food/takeaway for dinner 4 or 5 times a week - she thought she was deprived cos she had to have home cooked food!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Very rarely. its like a "treat" or we are running around crazy...but she makes me take off the breading on the chicken nuggets , and doesnt eat the bun with hamburgers, also gets the apples or whatever instead of fries. so we try to make it a little more healthy!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Once a week. But in all fairness, we spend two FULL days a week in my car at minimum..... and it's chicken nugget happy meals. There are far worse things to be had. And sometimes... sometimes I eat a chicken nugget happy meal, too. We do not get pop, I get water and they get milk, and the meal is 190 calories for the nuggets, 100 calories for the fries and 35 calories for the apples. Which is less than my usual "being good" 6'' sub at Subway.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I do, but it's not very often (maybe once a month unless we are traveling/on vacation). I did "treat" them to McDonalds yesterday because we were out of the house all day and they each had a cheeseburger, shared a small fries, had water to drink, and then each had 1 1/2 cookies for dessert.

My kids don't drink soda (my 8 year old has no desire to try it & there's no way I'm giving any to my 3 year old).

They both realize that it's something that isn't going to happen often and that it's not healthy (we talk about what foods are healthy for our bodies), but that sometimes we make exceptions.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month. At most. It's always as a treat.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yes. My wife and I have not restricted ourselves from eating anything specific during our weight loss journeys, so it's technically fair game. If we do it's usually Chick Fil A. At least there the chicken looks like chicken. My littlest one loves the cinnamon apple pouch that you can get with the kids meal. And my 5 year old has gone back and forth between the waffle fries and the fruit cup. She doesn't get french fries otherwise, so the once-in-a-while she does get it is probably OK.
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do when I see them but that isn't very much.
    Awwww :frown:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever buy fast food for them. I don't eat it unless I have to (on a road trip) or I might do more of a Qdoba or Noodles more than a drive thru. My husband is a fast food addict so he will buy it for them if he has them and I won't be there to make them lunch/dinner. I don't love that he does that but at the same time I know if I deny it, then they will probably go crazy on it when they are older. I just have always explained it as an occasional thing, not something you would eat every week.
  • Ke1ra78
    Ke1ra78 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month. I don't think banning any food group is a good idea as it makes it more desirable.;-)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Of course.
    It taste fabulous. We love it.
    And all my kids are in peak physical condition in spite of the occasional indulgence.
    Life is to be lived. Moderation is key.:flowerforyou:
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes, guilty! He's a teenager and addicted to McDonald's. Plus, prior to MFP we ate out much to often... now we rarely eat out and it's usually subway or sushi :D

I do have to give both my kids credit though because if there is are chips out and a fruit/veggie tray out they will eat the fruits/veggies THEN hit the chips!

It's kind of odd that raising them I made sure they learned how to eat properly but never ate properly myself. I was eating on the fly and making bad decisions but making sure the kids were getting proper nutrients to grow up healthy. Weird....
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Subway - that's fast food. But if she gets Tuna she knows she can't add any mayo. We do drive a lot and maybe on rare occasion she'll get chicken selects at mcdonalds, I'd say maybe 3-4 times a year - if we're desperate. Ground meat freaks her out so I'm safe from any weird half meat half somethng else fast food burgers.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes but if they eat it so do I. I won't buy them stuff like that and me eat healthy stuff. It's not fair to them. So when we do do it I do it with them. Also they eat the healthy stuff I make too and like it.
  • danahake
    danahake Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.. Restaurants have healthy options too. Grilled nuggets, apple wedges, yogurts, etc.... Its all about making smart choices and portion control. They need to learn now how to function in the real world which does require take out sometimes....
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    yes. i eat there too.

my children don't have weight problems, i do.

My children don't have weight problems either but I still don't let them eat it very often. I'm not just about controlling my weight, I'm about putting healthier things into my body and leading by example. I won't put that stuff into my body because of what it contains, so if it's not good enough for me, it's certainly not good enough for my kids. If they really want nuggets or burgers, I can make those fresh at home and it's all natural.

Also, if we don't teach our kids better than we were taught, then they very well may end up with weight problems as well. If we set the example and make it fun, they won't want that JUNK even if given the option. My sister has taught me that with her three kids. My kids have started asking why I won't eat that stuff and I'm brutally honest with them. Their noses curl a little and they have started asking for it less and less and when they do, have made their fast food choices healthier. I never had a weight problem either... it's only been in the last 6 years. I won't make the same mistake with my children that my parents made with me by not encouraging healthier foods and more exercise.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Heck, I buy that crap for me...but there is a time and a place and its about portion control.

Lol, so true
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    About twice a year, when we travel to see relatives during the holidays.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I only have my step-daughter on the weekends. We go out to eat once a month as a treat The rest of the meals I cook. I love cooking so I am OK with it. But I do get tired 3 meals a day/7 days a week. So I do a lot of crockpot and batch cooking. She eats out enough with my mother-in-law and they eat fast food a lot at her moms (there are 3 other kids) so I try to give her good home cooked meals on weekends. Cooking together is some of our best memories!
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    I do as an occasional indulgence, just as I do with ice cream and potato chips. I make them available from time to time, but on a day to day basis offer healthy options. I believe a little here and there is not harmful. As a child, many foods were "off limits" at my home and never allowed. When we did get our hands on them, we always overdid it - so I am trying a different tactic and trying to teach moderation. :)
  • jessicak0614
    jessicak0614 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The only fast food place we go to is Chick-fil-a. We have been there a lot but don't go every week or anything.