PCOS, Birth control, and weight loss/gain??

Options
Hello,
I'm a mother to a 13 month old and a 3 month old. I have pcos so my doctor put me on Lo Loestrin Fe. I try not to freak my self out but I keep reading about people gaining weight while on these pills. Anyone have any experience or advice. In the last 2 months I've taken off 40lbs by exercising and eating better. I REALLY don't want to go backwards!!

Replies

• jonnysgirl1701
    Options
    I'll probably be bashed to pieces for this, but PCOS and other hormonal issues are often successfully treated by a lower carb diet. Its due to lowering your insulin response and your hormones readjusting. If your interested in research start reading up on the standard ketogenic diet (SKD) there is also TKD and CKD which have some "carb up" days. You'll just have to do research and find out which is best for you. There is a very large Keto community on reddit.com if you need more info/links.
  • stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    I have PCOS and I agree with the previous poster. Another good option is The Insulin Resistance Diet. It works whether you are IR or not. The premise behind it is to balance your carbs with protein (no more than 30g of carbs in a 2 hour period of time). I lost 20-25 lbs in 3-4 months the last time I did this diet. It's also one of the few diets I've done where I didn't yo-yo. Good luck.

As far as the BCP's, the only thing you can do is try it. Some gain, some don't. I think the main thing is if it does make you hungrier, just make healthy choices.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I know the main meds that are used to treat PCOS are BC pills and Metformin. Lower carb diets also work better for ladies with PCOS.
    My doctor cannot currently treat my PCOS with BC because I had a previous blood clot, but I do know that while I was on BC in the past I was able to lose and maintain the loss of 100 pounds. Once I had to come off the BC, but pounds started piling back on very quickly with no change in my diet or exercise from maintenance. So apparently the BC was controlling the hormones and keeping the PCOS in check.
    I never took Metformin though was my blood sugars were always normal.
    I also had daily headaches and migraines frequently too and have just found out within the last several months that the carbs may have been causing those. Now that I follow a lower-carb diet, I not only am losing weight but also do not have to take a daily preventative for the headaches and very rarely have a headache and have not had a migraine in over 7 months. Who would have known that they were related? My PCP and my endocronologist never linked the PCOS to the headaches/migraines or the carbs (or should I say carb sensitivity) to the headaches/migraines. Actually neither told me that I should follow a low or lower carb diet at all. They kept trying me on a 1200 calorie diet that was low fat. I would lose a few pounds, but wouldn't lose after the first couple months and I was dealing with the headaches.
  • amy0975
    amy0975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have taken Lo Lestrin. I gained weight on it because there was not enough estrogen in them to balance the androgens the PCOS caused. I am currently taking Enpresse. I have been on that since march. So far I have not had a lot of side effects from that, but I am going Monday to get a Mirena. I was prescribed Metformin and Spirolactone as well. I recently quit taking the Metformin on my own. I stayed tired and hungry while taking that.

I tried the low carb diets like the other ladies said, but I couldn't do it. I got very ill after a week of that. I have been counting calories and eating in moderation. So far (5 days) I have lost 6 pounds. Good luck in what you decide.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I might add that while on BC, I was able to lose weight easily following WW. Without the BC to balance out the hormones, lower carb (not ultra low) seems to work the best for me. Everyone is different so you just gotta find what works for you.
  • romanticizing
    romanticizing Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Birth control doesn't make you pile on the weight, it triggers your appetite to increase, which you can control, by not giving in to every single craving, and incorporating exercise! Good Luck!
  • underthisfatareabs
    Options
    I started birth control and it didn't make me gain weight because I made sure to fill up on fiber in order to curb my appetite and to control my cravings; I made sure to control my calorie intake and balance exercise
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have an implant in my arm. Its never caused me to gain weight even though certain versions of the pill did. Also I have hyperthyroidism, the treatment for that (including in medical studies) causes weight gain.....I've still been losing. Just have some faith in your self and your body. The weight can and will still come off, sure maybe slower but any loss is a loss :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of discussions of birth control in the forums. The short version appears to be that every form does different things in every one, and you need to be proactive in monitoring how you respond and changing if necessary.

FWIW, I take bc pills for PCOS, and it hasn't had any noticeable effect on my weight loss.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I have Kariva for PCOS, and I actually lose better while on it.
  • cld0210
    cld0210 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi I am very new to this but I just have to say that I take Metformin and Topamax and I have PCOS Topamax is for my tourettes but it is also used to treat people for binge eating. So the combo of the two meds is really working for me. I started dieting a month ago and ive lost 30 pounds mostly because I use food as fuel I eat it and then burn it right off. I try to work out twice a day for 30 minutes about 5 days a week but not all at once i will work out for 3 days then rest a day then 2 days then rest a day. I never cheat on my diet I only eat health food, but I do go over carbs and sodium every now and then but hardly ever. I dont drink diet sodas or sodas at all no juice or anything with any sugar, just tea and water or the little powder packets with no calories or anything. I am also looking for workout buddies or even people to tallk to about my diet add me if your interested. :)))))))))
  • itsmyhealth
    itsmyhealth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Jonnysgirl170
    <<I'll probably be bashed to pieces for this, but PCOS and other hormonal issues are often successfully treated by a lower carb diet. Its due to lowering your insulin response and your hormones readjusting. If your interested in research start reading up on the standard ketogenic diet (SKD) there is also TKD and CKD which have some "carb up" days. You'll just have to do research and find out which is best for you. There is a very large Keto community on reddit.com if you need more info/links.>>

Do you have PCOS? I'm happy to hear that this diet works (55 lbs! WTG!!) if that is the case :)
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been having the depot jab for two years and in that time have gained two stone, I'm sure it isn't the only factor bit its definitely a major factor as up until then I have always been very slim

Edit to add that for years I have been on various contraceptive pills none have had any weight gain side effect, except for this depot jab
  • lkessell
    lkessell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lo lo estrin made me gain weight too! Just anecdotal evidence. May not be the best for PCOS women.
  • jfran87
    jfran87 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one here with PCOS who is worried about not being able to lose weight. I've heard about the carb thing and trying to eat less breads/starches etc. I started last weekend with my fitness pal, and for me, I'm trying to lower my carb intake, for example for lunch i'll have a sandwich on a whole wheat bread, and for dinner a salad with chili/or soup and that makes me feel full. anyways, I'm rambling.
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and went years without a period until I went gluten free.
  • StephanieOsuocha
    StephanieOsuocha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow good to know there is support out here :-)
  • jeanie000
    jeanie000 Posts: 1
    Options
    So glad I decided to google this topic! I have PCOS treated with a combination of birth control (demulen) and aldactone (for the side effect of reducing male-pattern hair growth and loss). Due to my age, my endocrinologist decided it was time for me to stop birth control a few months ago. So far, thankfully, the aldactone seems to be keeping things as it should be. Unfortunately, I have noticed weight gain even though I am following Weight Watchers and previously had managed to lose 40 pounds and keep it off. Since I came off BC I have been steadily gaining a little every weigh-in. Increased exercise and staying within my WW point range have not made much of a difference (i.e. one week I may lose 1/2 a pd but then the following I'd probably have that gained back and more). Weighted in today and was up again by .6 of a pound - not much, but this type of steady gain has added up. I was beginning to wonder if, after 4 years, WW just wasn't working for me anymore. Throughout those 4 years I had reached plateaus several times but never had experienced this kind of steady gain. So this mornign I started googling coming off BC and weight gain as I was thinking ti was associated totally with teh BC pill since when I first went on it over 18 years ago, I was finally able to lose weight. I had never realized before that PCOD was associated to insulin as it was never really explained to me that way before. Reading here that others with PCOS have had success losing weight by reducing carb intake has made me hopeful again :-)