Getting wisdom teeth pulled): help?

Options
RachFace1000
RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
I've never had a surgery before, and honestly the thing I'm terrified about is getting that butterfly needle put into the hand so the IV can knock me out :ohwell:
I pass out when I get my blood drawn at the doctors office. I feel like this just won't go well for me. Help?

Replies

• brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just don't look, and you'll be out before you know it. I was terrified too. The good news? you'll probably hit your goal weight! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It hurts but only for a few seconds. Once they put the tape over it you don't feel it anymore. I'd let them know you're terrified of it so hopefully they'll bring in someone with a lot of practice doing it and maybe throw some local numbling stuff on your hand, too.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I probably shouldn't think like this but you will be so drowsy and happy when you first wake up that nothing will matter. I've had 3 major surgeries before and the anesthesia is pretty wonderful. You won't even remember the needle prick, if they even do it that way. When I had my wisdom teeth out they had me breathe deep from a mask and I was gone :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It's gonna suck.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Well, it's surgery, so passing out wouldn't be a bad thing.

I had mine cut out when I was 16. The needle is not that big of a deal, and I'm afraid of needles. It's mostly not a big deal because about the time you stop hyperventilating from the EWW NEEDLE, the drug will do its job. I remember freaking out about the needle, and just then the blood pressure monitor took a reading. I looked over and the number was high because I was freaked out, and I said, "Oh hey look, my blood pressure is" and then I fell asleep. It was that fast.

You'll need lots of non-chew foods in the aftermath. If you get the water squirter thing to keep the holes clean, use it as often as they say, if not more. That's important. You don't want to get an infection or dry socket.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Don't look! It will hurt but just think about something else.

You could always get them out via local anaesthetic like I did, was much better :)

Stock up on Panadol extra or the American equivalent :)

EDIT: I've never had fillings or anything so I was terrified of the needle, so the surgeon gave me a script for valium, see if your surgeon can do something similar. But again, I had mine out via local, not general.
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had my wisdom teeth pulled in October last year and I had the same problem. I was terrified of that needle. Fortunately, my anesthetist noticed how jittery I was and gave me a couple of Temazepam to calm me down. By the time they wheeled me into the operating theatre (about 15 mins later) I was feeling pretty chilled :tongue:

Just give your doctor the heads up and ask for something to take the edge off before you go in.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The oral surgeon told me in January to schedule extraction at my convenience; I made the phone call two days ago...and made the appointment for August. I have the same issue as you do: I have fainted while at the doc's to get a shot, and the part about the wisdom teeth that I'm most nervous about is the first minute when they give me the needle because it grosses me out so much. I feel a bit faint just thinking about it, actually.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

You could always get them out via local anaesthetic like I did, was much better :)

Not necessarily. I couldn't. My nerves in my lower jaw are messed up and I've never been able to be numbed with a local. I have fillings in all of my lower molars, and I felt the drilling with every single one.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Do you have to be knocked out? I had all four of my wisdom teeth, all of which were impacted, pulled fully conscious and without nitrous. It's not that bad. Would the shots in your mouth bother you more, even if you don't really see the needle?
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    If you are really that bad about it, ask about Emla Cream to apply to your skin b4 they poke you. It may not be covered by insurance, but it may help you. They used it on my son when he was a tot. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do you have to be knocked out? I had all four of my wisdom teeth, all of which were impacted, pulled fully conscious and without nitrous. It's not that bad. Would the shots in your mouth bother you more, even if you don't really see the needle?

actually probably not if they didn't tell me what they were doing.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it's gonna suck.

don't die!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just don't look, and you'll be out before you know it. I was terrified too. The good news? you'll probably hit your goal weight! :bigsmile: :drinker:

Yep. Definitely don't look.

After I had mine out I had to eat baby food for a week. If I were to do it over, I'd probably just drink a lot of smoothies. I didn't have a blender at the time though. :(
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    yeah, just look the other way with the needle... you'll pass out soon enough and then wake up confused like me! LOL though I remember the car ride home, my husband tells me that I was pretty out of it!! haha

I remember eating lots of protein shakes, milkshakes, apple sauce, pudding and mashed potatoes... not that great for dieting, but you're a bit limited with selections during this time. I would suggest the protein shakes though! :)

I was also swollen in the face on both sides (1 out on top on each side) and a bit bruised. Take it easy and good luck with everything! :smile:
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Not so simple

I had one pulled with a local - all over in10 minutes. A few years later the other 3, total anaestethic, and warned I might be off work for 2 weeks. I was off for 2 days, and the surgeon found that unusual.
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Love this question!! I work for an oral surgeon and I'm on vacation. Anyways at our office we use nitrous before the needle,once the needle is in thats when you get all the good stuff. don't worry there are a lot worse things in life. It's all about your coping skills. If you go to sleep calm and happy you will wake up that way too. You will do fine.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    they had me breathe in an anaesthetic before they put the needle in so by the time they stuck me i was already high & didn't feel a thing
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I got them pulled with I was 17, they put me under with gas so I just inhaled counted from 10 to about 6 and was OUT! Keep up on taking those pain meds!

Look on the bright side you wont want to eat for a while... so you will probably lose that 6lbs!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The drugs are the best part of the ordeal!!! Just sit back, relax, and get doped up