50 Mile Hike Weight Gain

incircles_lp2
incircles_lp2 Posts: 132 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So...

I have been on here for about 9 weeks. I haven't lost a single pound or inch. I eat the amounted calories per day and sometimes go over/under.

I went on a 50 mile STRENUOUS backpacking trip this weekend up several small mountains. I went from 500 feet to about 7,000 feet in one day.

I just weighed myself first thing in the morning and I gained a lb. Everyone says I am just gaining muscle, but when does "gaining muscle" stop and weight loss begin if it has been so damn long? I don't know what to do anymore. I try so hard to get fit and I can't budge a single lb. 165lbs at 5 foot 5! So frustrating!

Sincerely,

Always fat

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    So...

I have been on here for about 9 weeks. I haven't lost a single pound or inch. I eat the amounted calories per day and sometimes go over/under.

I went on a 50 mile STRENUOUS backpacking trip this weekend up several small mountains. I went from 500 feet to about 7,000 feet in one day.

I just weighed myself first thing in the morning and I gained a lb. Everyone says I am just gaining muscle, but when does "gaining muscle" stop and weight loss begin if it has been so damn long? I don't know what to do anymore. I try so hard to get fit and I can't budge a single lb. 165lbs at 5 foot 5! So frustrating!

Sincerely,

Always fat
    try drinking green tea or but green tea tablets ... that has helped me
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    What kind of foods are you eating? :flowerforyou:
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Wow- Kudos on your 50 mile hike. Even though you might not be losing the weight you want, you should give yourself a little credit for being able to complete such a strenuous activity. How much water do you drink? I know when I up my daily water supply, I start to see some results- it's like the fat flushes out,lol.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Are you taking any other kind of measurements? A lot of times, even if you aren't losing weight, you could be losing inches.
  • incircles_lp2
    I don't eat much meat, but I eat a crap-ton of veggies, oats, legumes (beans) and fresh fruit. I consider myself a very good eater. i don't eat fast food ever and I stick to very REAL foods (i.e. foods I make at home from fresh ingredients).

I might not be drinking enough water. I drink about 9 glasses a day. I am very physically active. I ride my bike everywhere. I feel like I am mainly muscle, but I have a large gut still and lots of residual fat on my thighs, etc. I just don't know when I am supposed to start losing weight. It has been so long now with no results! I feel like I was destined to always be fat.

I
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Congrats on the 50 mile hike! That is amazing!

I would think that you aren't going to see those pounds drop off instantaneously...it takes time for your body to process the calories, etc. And if you did build muscle then that will help in the following weeks to burn off some of the fat that you would like to be rid of. I know that most resources that I looked at said that for a full day of hiking (with a full backpack) a person is going to burn 3,000 to 5,000 calories. It seems like a lot, but I am sure you know that if you're carrying 35 pounds on your back and walking up hill all day, you use a LOT of energy!!

It sounds like you are very healthy, and that is something to be proud of. Not everyone can hike that far, especially with that much elevation gain! Give yourself some credit and be proud of what you have accomplished. The weight will come off with time. My feeling is that if you stick to your calorie goal for this week, by the end of the week you will be down several pounds. Just give your body time to adjust to the changes!
  • This is purely anecdotal since I'm not sure the "whys" behind it, but personally, I'm always up the next morning after strenuous exercise. So I take the next day and eat the right amount of calories and just do normal daily activity (no formal exercise) and I'm down the next morning. Do you take rest days?
  • incircles_lp2
    I didn't do anything yesterday. My body was in too much pain to do much of anything! I always make sure to take rest days so my muscles have a chance to bounce back. I am proud of myself, but I am frustrated that no matter what I do I never lose any weight/inches.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    How many calories are you eating, especially in relation to your BMR? Do you have a big calorie deficit? You may need to utilize a smaller caloric deficit if you are close to your goal weight.
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Are you eating enough for your activity level and size? That is great to accomplish a 50mi hike! I think for fat burning you need to bring your heart rate up to your target heart range for 20-30min each exercise session. So yes being active, riding your biike everywhere is good but if your calorie deficit is too large your only making your body go into starvation mode so instead of fat burning it is fat storing. 1200 calories a day is a bare minimum for a woman but the taller you are the more calories you need to just survive, then add in regular daily activities plus exercise.

hth,
    Demetria
This discussion has been closed.