Brown rice recipe ideas

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Hi

I've recently picked up some brown rice and was looking for new recipe ideas. I know you can serve it with things - but I was just wondering if anyone did anything a little more adventurous with brown rice?

Just a thought!

Heather :)

Replies

• CrystalX82
    CrystalX82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great thread to start! I do pretty basic things with it. Like add kidney or black beans, celery and garlic, or i'll toss in a bag of frozen veggies and add some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I love the boil-in-bag brown rice. It's all I use!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This warm brown rice salad is seriously one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten: http://articles.boston.com/2009-04-22/travel/29264509_1_brown-rice-beet-maple-syrup
  • beelikethebug
    beelikethebug Posts: 50 Member
    Options
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can sub brown rice for white rice in any recipe that calls for white rice. When I make fried rice, I use brown rice instead of white rice. The basic recipe I use is from the food network: Shrimp Fried Rice (Sara Moulton). The rice should be made early in the day or the night before. Once the rice is done make sure you uncover it so it won't get mushy. Or, spread it out on a cookie sheet until it cools down. I also make mexican rice with brown rice. (I am sure my great grandmother and grandmother are turning in their graves....) By the way, I don't have a recipe for the mexican rice. It is kind of one of those things where I use a little bit of that and little bit of that over there and lot of that and somehow it comes out fine. I like to go on the food network and cooking light websites to look for recipes. I am sure they have several recipes for brown rice that you can experiment with
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks for the ideas! I'm intrigued by the Mexican rice... I've never had that! Brown rice is a recent find of mine.. and happy to say I love it!
  • citygirl4ever
    citygirl4ever Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a mexican rice recipe: http://patismexicantable.com/2009/06/red-rice-from-el-chepe.html. I have not tried this recipe but have tried other recipes on this site and they were pretty good. It is different than the rice I make. My family is from Texas so it is different than the rice you will find in Mexico. I don't measure and to be honest with you, when I make it usually means that my mother is standing over my shoulder directing me. The basic recipe goes something like this...toast 1 cup of rice in a dry pan (cast iron will work) until the rice is brown. Than place onion in the pan and tomato sauce and chicken broth (This is all by sight or my mother directing me.) You also add a dash or maybe 1/4 tsp of cumin and salt. Almost forgot you need to cover the rice until the liquid is absorb. I am sorry I cannot be more detailed. Look up the recipe and try it. Like I said I have sub brown rice for the white rice. It give it a different taste since the brown rice has a nutty flavor.
  • Frenique9
    Frenique9 Posts: 14
    Options
    Follow this link to a recipe that sounds really yummy
    http://www.beautyfash.com/2012/06/brown-rice-salad.html
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Need sone ideas too....
  • ctiedeman
    ctiedeman Posts: 21
    Options
    I am loving this topic! Thank for posting :)

Bump
  • sebaroni
    sebaroni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I, too, use brown rice to make fried rice and Ellie Krueger from the Food Network has a really good Brown Rice and Black Bean recipe. Buying those little precooked rice packets can be pricey, try making your own and keeping some in the refrigerator. I like having it on hand to add a whole grain to a pre-packaged diet meal (I lost my weight on Nutrisytem.)

Here is a cooking tip: Cook the rice as you would pasta. Put the raw rice into a pot of boiling, lightly salted, water and let it boil for 40 minutes. Drain in a colander. (If you are going to save the rice for future uses, Sara Moulton recommends rinsing it. That way it will not be sticky after it's cooled.) I make brown rice this way and it comes out perfect every time.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I was low on ingredients and made this today.

Grind up some beans in the blender until smooth (I used a drained and rinsed can of red Mexican kidney beans).

Add some chopped onion and garlic and blend some more.

Put the blended beans in a pot add some drained and rinsed black beans (not blended) and bring to a boil and then simmer with some cumin until the desired consistency is reached..

If it is too thick add a tablespoon or so of water or broth (or add broth at the beginning for added flavour when blending).

Once this is all done stir it in with brown rice.

It looks a little nasty if you aren't used to re fried bean type looking stuff. But it is quick and easy. You can store the beans separately and they last a fairly long time in the fridge. I wouldn't call this an award winner but it is filling and healthy.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I put low sodium tuna, peas, and carrots in mine then a smudge of italian dressing in it just enough to give some favor. It came out great and low in caloriies too
  • muff_top10
    Options
    I often make Chicken & Rice for my family. I use dry brown rice, chicken breast, and cream of chicken soup. Basically you just stir it all together in a casserole dish and bake it for 60-90 minutes. May not be as healthy as some of the other suggestions because of the soup, but it's something everyone (including children) usually like. I can find the recipe if anyone would like it.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for this!!! Thanks everbody :)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping to refer to later. Thanks everyone for posting.