Protein Overage

What happens when I go over my allowed protein amounts? I can do that with an egg or two for breakfast and a meat at dinner... but still have lots of carbs and fat left over. Suggestions? Thanks.

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Don't worry about it too much.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    If you are working out you need to be eating at minimum 1/2g protein for each pound you weigh, but it is recommended you eat your body weight in grams (example, if you weigh 150 lbs you should be eating about 120-150 grams a day) Good luck trying to go over ;)
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    I think MFP gauges the protein values low. as long as you are in your calorie range, extra protein and less carbs is not going to hurt you.

Try adding peanut butter or avacado to your diet as good fats.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    If you are working out you need to be eating at minimum 1/2g protein for each pound you weigh, but it is recommended you eat your body weight in grams (example, if you weigh 150 lbs you should be eating about 120-150 grams a day) Good luck trying to go over ;)
    Genuinely curious about this... I work out 6 days a week and I get around 180-220g of protein a day. I currently weigh around 340lbs.

Are you really saying I should be eating 340-680g of protein per day?

**Edited to clarify** I read your post as 1 to 2 g... but now I think you meant "one half of a gram" for each pound you weigh?
  • I'd see if your even getting the amount you should be getting try the equation at http://www.livestrong.com/article/343966-how-to-calculate-protein-rda/ and then if your macros aren't right for your weight go in and adjust them yourself and you may find you weren't getting enough in the first place, if not and you workout a lot or are on a low carb diet I wouldn't worry about it.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Genuinely curious about this... I work out 6 days a week and I get around 180-220g of protein a day. I currently weigh around 340lbs.

**Edited to clarify** I read your post as 1 to 2 g... but now I think you meant "one half of a gram" for each pound you weigh?

LOL, oh my that would be a lot of protein now wouldn't it! No, just 0.5 (one half a gram) not 1 or 2 grams! But yes, for you a recommended amount would probably be around 200-300 grams per day.
  • jvendramin
    jvendramin Posts: 15
    Im thinking that 1/2g per lb is per lean lb or at least adjusted for healthy weight correct? As in if you are 50 lbs overweight, you probably dont need an additional 25g protein than you would if you were lean? Just curious as most medications are dosed based on lean weight, it would make sense to me.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member

LOL, oh my that would be a lot of protein now wouldn't it! No, just 0.5 (one half a gram) not 1 or 2 grams! But yes, for you a recommended amount would probably be around 200-300 grams per day.
    Haha guess I've been at work too long to have any reading comprehension skills left :laugh:
  • lulu168
    lulu168 Posts: 3 Member
    I have a thing about craving more protien too, and i think my body is telling me what I need. SO I still watch how much I am consuming and make sure it not too much over. maybe watch the portion control? and Try more veggies and fruit ?