Question about FRUIT.

Options
So when I get calorie averages for fruits like peaches/nectarines/apricots and other fruits with large seeds, does that average include the seed or not? Like if 100 grams of peach is 40 calories (just an estimate) then does that include the seed?

:) Thanks!

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Good question. You could remove the pit, weigh the remaining fruit, and enter it as "sliced fruit". I don't think it would be different enough to bother with though.
  • happydayzz
    happydayzz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    anyone?:huh:
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it would include the seed. At least, that's the way I've been measuring.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    The intent is to give you a measure of the calorie content of the part of the fruit that you have eaten/will eat. So it is reasonable to assume that they do not include the pit or other inedible parts. I don't know anyone who eats these parts.
    Take a pineapple: would you assume that if someone said they ate 500 grams of pineapple that they meant that they ate the green top and the outer rind?
  • carld256
    Options
    I guess the point is, if you weigh a peach and it weighs 100grams, that weight will include however many grams of inedible pit that you're counting as edible calories, thus throwing off the calorie count, if only slightly.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the question wasn't whether or not the pit matters, but should it be included. The answer would be no. There is no logical reason to record the weight of food not eaten.
  • carld256
    Options
    Yes, but the question wasn't whether or not the pit matters, but should it be included. The answer would be no. There is no logical reason to record the weight of food not eaten.

Honestly, I don't even know why we're arguing about this.