Green Tea

Options
Hello, newbie here! I was just wondering if it's of any benefit to drink green tea. I have a box here at work and I've been drinking it unsweetened, in addition to my water. Will it help with my weight loss at all? It doesn't taste great, but if it helps I'll keep drinking it! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    There are many health benefits to green tea.

Green tea can help with weight loss.
  • Nikki830
    Nikki830 Posts: 6
    Options
    Great, thank you! :drinker:
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've read that you have to drink like, 8+ cups of it a day for it to effect your metabolism... so if you don't like it, just stick with water!!
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular kind that is better at the grocery store?
  • Nikki830
    Nikki830 Posts: 6
    Options
    In the grocery stores you can get Lipton Green Tea or Bigelow tea bags. Apparently loose green tea is better, but all I've ever had is the bagged kind. They also have ready to drink green tea, but I'd look at the added sugar before choosing one of them. Oh, if you're a fan of Starbucks they carry green tea.
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking it and I feel like it helps when I drink it. The problem is between drinking coffee and green tea, I have a harder time sleeping at night!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try goodearth jasmine or lemongrass green tea or the mango pineapple.. so gooood!
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I agree its nasty!! But drink we must!
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always go for the decaf green tea, because I am not allowed caffeine. Good stuff though, green tea!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The impacts are minimal by average uses.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yum, I LOVE green tea. I love all tea, hot or cold. For every study that says green tea helps your metabolism, there's one that says it doesn't, so who knows. Green tea - and other teas - do have lots of healthy antioxidants though, so either way, it's good for you
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bagged tea is trash, loose leaf tea is where its at!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Green tea is full of antioxidants, particularly EGCG, and has been shown to be good for cancer prevention, cholesterol reduction, weight loss, heart health,and mood improvement.

That being said, I don't think it's helpful to drink something you think is disgusting :). Some green teas are kind of grassy, others are more palatable; region, harvest time, processing, and additives all affect the taste. Just experiment and find something you like! I switched over to loose leaf awhile back, but the bagged mint green teas used to be my favorite. The lemongrass varieties are nice too. Right now I'm drinking one that is floral and sweet.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Green tea is very beneficial. It holds many antioxidants that are said to fight various things (free radicals) that can cause cell damage. There is also the added benefit of good digestion and less bloating. I love the taste of Arizona Green Tea with honey and ginseg, (but not the calories as I try to save those for my meals)...though an above poster is correct in saying that loose leaf tea is probably the best form that you can purchase. If you really cannot stand the flavor you could probably buy a supplement.
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    Here is an excellent summary of the benefits of green tea:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea

Green tea fights cancer, improves circulatory function and may burn fat. The highest concentrations of its unique antioxidant is in Japanese green tea. I started with Jasmine and fruit blends and then moved to plain. When ready for plain, try Ito En green tea from Costco...it is a macha blend tea that has a tea bag and some loose powder and is less expensive than some. I think green tea tastes gross, but have gotten used to it over time.
  • scoutit
    scoutit Posts: 36
    Options
    Oh, and Dr. Servan-Shreiber said that you should drink a couple cups a day, brew it for 10 minutes and drink within a couple of hours for the best results.
  • ChrisAddams
    Options
    I use PG Tips decaf green tea, with no sugar and it tastes fine.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it helped with weight loss. I drink about 1/2 gallon to a gallon every day for the past almost 20 years. Good thing I did or I would have gotten REALLY fat...oh wait, I did.

There is no proof it helps with weight loss. It provides antioxidants, that much is true. Everything else is speculation. It has minimal caffeine so that doesn't boost anything. If you like it, drink it. If you don't find something else. If you think it will burn the pounds right off you will be sadly disappointed.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I dunno if it helps fat loss but I have got used to the taste of it and the caffeine helps kick me along during the afternoon.

It beats my old habit of main-lining plain old English breakfast tea with 3 sugars anyway :)