What tricks should I teach my puppy?

Options
sarah44254
sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
Our puppy is 13 weeks old and learning really well.

He knows:
Come
Stay
Sit
Shake
Lay Down
Get it (fetch)

and we are working on Speak

I am thinking about Roll over or Play dead, but there has to be more! He really seems like he wants to learn. He loves all rewards, treats or pettings or applause, anything I offer him.

What have you taught your dog? Anything I haven't mentioned that you can think of?

Replies

• beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    At 13 weeks he knows how to do all that? You have a smart little puppy!...Which breed is he?
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The most important trick you can teach him is to come from a long distance, and to come back to you all the way (and let you grab him). I've seen plenty of dogs come just fine within ~20 feet, but at 50 yards, forget it!

If he is not a giant breed (who shouldn't be jumping about while young), teach him to do a hoop jump - start low and work up as he grows. All the dogs I've owned have loved jumping and it's a really cute trick.

What kind of dog is he? I love pups, they're all so cute...
  • sarah44254
    Options
    He is a Pembroke Corgi. He really does seem super smart!

ein12weeks.jpg
  • sarah44254
    Options
    The most important trick you can teach him is to come from a long distance, and to come back to you all the way (and let you grab him). I've seen plenty of dogs come just fine within ~20 feet, but at 50 yards, forget it!

If he is not a giant breed (who shouldn't be jumping about while young), teach him to do a hoop jump - start low and work up as he grows. All the dogs I've owned have loved jumping and it's a really cute trick.

What kind of dog is he? I love pups, they're all so cute...

Thanks - hoop jump and long distance come are really great ideas. :)
  • sarah44254
    Options

Some of those are super cute - thank you!!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That is CUTE pup. Corgis are so happy looking, aren't they? I'm sure what kind of elevation they can get in hoop jumping though! ;-)

Since they are a herding breed, teaching long recall should be much easier than with a hound. Have fun!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    aww that's what i was going to get if i didn't get my little dachshund ;) your pup sounds super smart and he's adorable! good luck with the tricks.. i wish mine was as willing to learn them as yours!