I'm cutting out bread.. What to do about sandwiches?

Options
My fiance and I have decided to cut out bread because the two of us can almost clear 2 loaves in a week! We've decided it has too many carbohydrates and we often have 4 pieces of buttered toast as a snack. (Yes, I know, not good!)

My question is.. I can deal with not having bread with dinner anymore.. but what about for lunch when I would usually have a grilled turkey bacon and cheese sandwich.. or turkey sandwich? My fiance usually has peanut butter and jelly or hot ham and cheese.

Anyone have any ideas on what to replace these with?

*Wanting genuine people to help, not tell me I should have cut it out sooner or w/e

Replies

• TKishjr
    TKishjr Posts: 21
    Options
    I know this won't be exactly what you want, but I use 35 calorie wheat bread. 70 Cal's for two pieces, 16 carbs. Good luck!
  • kdinn2010
    kdinn2010 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try wrapping in lettuce or eat the fillings on a bed of lettuce.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    if you don't cut it out entirely there are good options out there. Flatbread, the mini-buns. If you do want to cut it out completely, you can always buy a head of lettuce and wrap your "sandwich" in a lettuce leaf.
  • Soltari675
    Soltari675 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I buy the big leaf lettuce, like red or green leaf lettuce, and wrap my sandwich toppings inside those. Healthier than bread and doesn't taste too bad either.
  • khand58
    khand58 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have really cut down on bread too!! It's hard to replace the convenience of a sandwich to throw in your lunch. I now use large romaine lettuce leaves and stuff them with anything I would normally put in a sandwich.

You could also use a wrap (Joseph's is a great brand) or whole wheat high fiber tortilla if you're not totally throwing out bread products - they have fewer carbs and calories than bread.
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Maybe just use one slice so you can have an open faced sandwich. Corn tortillas are also healthy and filling.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I use melba toast or oatcakes.
  • IndiaDenise
    Options
    I use Brownberry Sandwich Thins. 100 calories. I also have used the light bread at 35 calories per slice.
    They also make bagels that are 100 calories and english muffins too, if you still want to have your breads for breakfast.
    Best of luck!!!!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I know this won't be exactly what you want, but I use 35 calorie wheat bread. 70 Cal's for two pieces, 16 carbs. Good luck!

totally off subject, but I love your "profile" pic!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There are low carb breads or you can try low carb tortillas. La Tortilla Factory makes a low carb one with 4 net carbs and it's really good.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The convenience is the big thing with a sandwich, it's so easy to just throw in your bag and go.

A couple of alternatives you might consider:

Buy a heavier loaf of bread (something like a rye bread or packed full of seeds & grains), still carbs and calories, but sooo many nutrients, keeps the convenience factor, and because it's more filling than plain ol' white bread you can easily limit yourself to 2 slices. Putting more filling in your sandwich will help too.

Try alternatives like a lettuce wrap, low carb bread alternatives or mountain bread.

Consciously make extra dinner so you have some to take the next day (assuming you are able to re-heat).

Prepare snacks that are easy and healthy like cup up vegetables and maybe a small tub of dip/hummus/cream cheese etc. If you miss the volume of food, having the extra stuff to snack on that's really low calorie can help a lot,
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If the only bread you have is in a sandwich, that wouldn't be too bad for you, especially if you use a good whole grain bread. Otherwise, you could use a low-carb wrap.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We rarely eat bread. We eat our 2 tbs of peanut butter on a spoon with some milk. Or eat the meat and cheese with a slice of tomato and lettuce. Or grilled chicken cold with lettuce and tomoato.
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to wheat, so I had to cut out all breads (haven't found a gluten free bread that I really like!) I use either lettuce for wraps or corn tortilla's. Either that or I just wrap everything up in the meat and make a roll.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps. But if you want a lighter bread try pita.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Pita, corn tortilla, flatout, lettuce or cabbage leaves. I mostly use the lettuce leaves but sometimes splurge and have a pita or something. We have a sandwich shop that sells sammiches that way. Calls them Unwiches. Love to order from there.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just eat the meat. Plain. Double it since there's no bread. You'll feel more full and it's great for you. For PB&J, I'm not sure what to do. There's lower cal breads.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Here are some "no bread" lunch ideas:
    - frittata, quiche, soup, leftovers, salads, chicken drumsticks, yoghurt with fruit and muesli....
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    What kind is 35 calories? Bread that is?
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I use lettuce instead of bread!