What do you set as your daily Sodium intake?

Options
1,000mg ? 2,000? 2,500?

I still eat a lot of processed food so I try to stay under 3,000.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    When I was tracking I kept mine under 1,500. It wasn't that difficult . . . usually went over once every two weeks or so.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    1500? I can get that in 1 food item lol ;0
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Usually when I did go over it was with Chipotle. And I really wasn't bothered, because Chipotle is too good to worry about.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    2500~"usually" under every day :bigsmile:
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    i try to keep it under 2500 i have only let it go over it once i believe because i retain water and bloat so i don't want that to happen again. :) but on a good day usually i just stay at 1700 or so
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I aim for 1,500 (which makes my doctor very happy). It is really hard for me to stay under consistently, so as long as I stay under 2,500 when I do go over, I'm not too upset. When I eat out I use the Restaurant Nutrition app to see what the calories and sodium are for the different meals before I order. I will go for low sodium choices before I will pick a low calorie item. I can work off calories, but not sodium.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it between 1500mg and 2000mg. I don't eat much processed food, so it's not too difficult, even when I eat 3000 calories.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The RDA for sodium is 2,300 mg, of sodium daily for healthy adults. That is equivalent to about 1 tsp. of salt a day. For certain populations more sensitive to sodium, the RDA is set to only 1,500 mg of sodium per day. Sensitive populations include adults over 50, blacks or those diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes or chronic kidney disease,
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    1800 usually
    If I go over 2,500 I freak out a little haha.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1500, but I don't fret if I go over. It's a hard adjustment for me because I loooove salt. I try to keep it below 2500 for sure! I think I blew it tonite, but I've been fairly good all week (keeping well under 2000). It makes me feel bloated and gross, so I'm trying so hard to keep it down! I didn't realize how much sodium was in my food until I really started looking at it.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 2500 and I most of the time don't exceed it. The thing that throws me close to it or over is eating cottage cheese, since the brand I get has 470mg per serving and I usually eat 2 servings at one time. That with the small amounts in everything else really brings up my daily consumption.
  • DrowningMermaid
    Options
    My goal set by MFP was 2500 and I have a really hard time staying below it. I'm working on it, but it's difficult. My Subway tonight was almost my daily requirement of sodium and while it sucks, I don't regret it because it was TASTY! And I even opted to leave out pickles and olives, so it would have been more.
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I track mine and left it at 2500. I am usually under 1000 except for when I eat out because food in China is super salty. One time I ordered a salad and it was dressed with MSG crystals. Mmm.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Through MFP, mine is set at 2500 however, I try to keep it 1500 and lower which is pretty easy because I don't eat alot of processed foods that are high in sodium to begin with. There are times when I hit 1700 but I really watch my sodium intake.

I don't have any health issues related to me needing to restrict my sodium and I drink lots of water, I just do it for myself. I rarely add any extra salt in anything, but that's just what works for me.