How can one gain 6 pounds in one week if exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    As your muscle repair themselves from your workouts they hold onto extra water. Make sure your weigh in day is the day after a rest day and you wont see quite as much water weight from your workouts :) As long as your clothes are feeling looser you're on the right track :) I can easily go 7+ pound fluctuation after a hard workout day.

This.

More than likely, it's water retention. This happens to me all the time! I normally do 6 vigorous workouts a week and an hour walk on the 7th day. I'm always in motion and challenging my body. I hold more water than the Titanic. smh.

Best of luck! :drinker:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you're holding on to excess water from a tough workout AND ate a meal or two with high sodium, you could see 6 lbs easy. Just drink lots of water, keep doing what you're doing and it will come back off.

PS. For the over 65 category you're rocking the workouts. Nicely done.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    stay off the scale and the elliptical and strength machines until Monday. I predict that your 6lb gain will be gone along with a little more.

Last Thursday I was 210.6lbs....I helped my parents move over the weekend and spent 6 hours moving stuff in 85 degree weather UP a flight of steps ( 38 flights climbed). 4 hours of moving boxes, but I only *claimed* 2 hours ( at 1700 calories total) of moving boxes. Monday I stepped on the scale and I was 211.8lbs...today I stepped on the scale and I was 209.6lbs
  • TheRoseQueen
    TheRoseQueen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    guess you gained muscle and lost fat. do you take measurements?

Right...A 67 year old woman gained 6 lbs of muscle in one week...

Well I can always hope, right??? Haha!
  • JustMagpie
    JustMagpie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As my trainer would say, if you do what you have always done you will get what you always got.

I would say get rid of carbs. Eat more protien and make sure what you are eating is enough. I am normally one who does not eat enough, my average day could be 500-700 cals, so I force myself to eat and ensure I eat enough, 1300 calories. I focus on eating enough protien, least a few times a day.

My personal issue is I dislike cardio but have now found I am addicted. So this has changed how my journey has happend since the last 8 months.

I do weight training 2 times a week with a trainer and am doing quite heavy weights. My body has changed but I was seroiusly not losing weights.

So my advise is drink water, cut your stress, eat more, move more and ensure your heart rate hits over 135 for at least 30 mins.

Good luck!
  • TheRoseQueen
    TheRoseQueen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can also hold like 10lbs of faeces in your body at any one time too ...

Good God I would really hope that is not the case! :)
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you just stepped up your workouts your muscles are probably clinging on to water and glycogen like crazy, I'm sure that 6 lbs will vanish in a day or so. :) Especially if you're weighing yourself after workouts... I always weigh myself in the morning, it seems to be the most consistent from day to day.