No clue how many cals I'm burning!?!?

Options
I don't have a heart rate monitor yet so I'm really hoping to figure out a good estimate. I've been using the elliptical, for 60 mins, and I can't figure out how many calories I'm burning.

I'm 209, 5'8", and Female.

This website says 800 something, the elliptical says 400 but that seems to be by distance and I'm not sure that's right, and other websites say anywhere in between! I'm going moderate speed by my HR is totally up because I'm so out of shape.

Don't really have the money for a heart rate monitor right now either, so while I appreciate the suggestion understand I can't afford it.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    if you don't have an HRM I'd go with what the machine is telling you.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the machine, too. However, I found that for me, even the machine burn was grossly exaggerated.
  • Sahri21
    Sahri21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My problem with the machine, is if I work out harder, but complete the distance, it says the same amount. So it's saying about 100 cals per half mile. I can go slow and still burn 100 cals in a half mile. Which I know it's not the half mile that determines the amount of calories I burn, but how high my heart rate is. Which is why I don't trust he machine.