Insanity Newbie

Options
Ok, today was day 1- fit test.
I'm looking for your tips and tricks. I'm super excited about the program! I don't want to buy shakeology or the results and recovery formulas if I can avoid it, any post work out breakfast recommendations or caveats?
Also I plan to do my workouts at about 7am, about 20-30 minutes after waking, any pre-workout advice?

Also, are you following the meal plan provided? How closely?

Thanks!

Replies

• siliisobel
    siliisobel Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Kristihub - Welcome to Insanity WOO!

Im on week 3 and its still tough but its amazing how quickly your fitness improves and your muscles start firming up. I can do so much more now than when I first started. I tend to workout mid morning and I have a boiled egg afterwards with a little bit of salt yum!, the protein keeps me going until lunch. Other than that, just enjoy it and dig deeper!
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Insanity :)

I'm following the concept of the meal plan. It's best to eat more frequently and eat at least an hour before doing insanity. So I would suggest to split up your meals and plan them a day ahead so you are getting the proper nutrition. Protein is very important so make sure you are getting enough.

Make sure you don't overexert yourself and keep at the pace you are able to do.

I purchased some protein drinks and I have them after workouts. Someone else doing Insanity suggested that this helps you to recover faster.

Recommended Foods:
    Chicken breast high in protein, filling and gives lots of energy
    Whole wheat bread good in the morning to get your system rolling
    Greek yogurt (make sure you get the lower fat one as some can get really fatty)
    Lots of vegetables
    Nuts
    Eggs
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I never followed the meal plan and I just worked out hard and ate the right amount of calories. I just kept my protein intake very high and worked my *kitten* off
  • Kristihub
    Kristihub Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I would suggest any type of protein drink with a banana or such after the workout. I didnt follow their meal plan, just tried to eat clean and always had my protein and carbs after the workout to help with muscle repair. Its an amazing program and tons of fun. Good luck with it|!!
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    As far as pre-workout I would suggest maybe some toast with peanut butter. Nothing too heavy as you are doing it shortly after waking but for me its hard to work out after an 8 hr fast. You would want the same thing some carbs and protein before as well.
  • Kristihub
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to aim for eating something when I first get up (carb+protein) and then working out an hour later.

How do you guys record your insanity on mfp?
  • morganfox5
    morganfox5 Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm going to comment to come back to this page, I'm starting tomorrow!!
  • morganfox5
    morganfox5 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to aim for eating something when I first get up (carb+protein) and then working out an hour later.

you can download an app called calorie calculator and they have insanity on there so you can see about how much you would be burning!
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    This is helpful :) I'm thinking about starting it myself. Terrified, but excited lol
  • reslere
    reslere Posts: 7
    Options

Invest in a heart rate monitor. I add the exercise to my exercise diary, and then I input the readings from my HRM each workout.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    Gonna be starting Insanity soon.

This thread is alot of help! Would I be ok eating what I normally eat and add a bit more protien and carbs? Should I get some protien shakes? I have a Fitbit, should I wear it when I do the Insanity <I dont think it will make much difference>

If ya'll wanna add me, I would like to have Insanity buddies to help me out!
  • Kristihub
    Options
    I'm going to try wearing my fitbit today and see what it says.
    I'll check out the calorie calculator too.
  • annabanana1786
    annabanana1786 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Welcome to insanity!! I just started Monday. I'm so unbelievably sore today so I'm going to have to really dig deeper today.

As for the meal plan, I don't follow it at all. I just watch my calories and try to eat healthy. Good luck to you!!
  • mcottle292
    mcottle292 Posts: 60
    Options
    I started "Insanity" this past Monday. I am super excited and never dread a workout. I wake up at 7 also. I eat a Greek yogurt before hand and drink about 16 ounces water. I drink probably another 16 ounces during and again after the workout. I also drink a protein shake afterwards with bananas, strawberries, blue berries, amazing grass and chia seeds. Then I eat around four additional times that day. I am also somewhat vegetarian?? I don't eat meat, but will use meat broths. I don't eat meat because my body has a hard time digesting it. So, that being said I can totally tell a difference if I only drink one protein shake versus two a day. I do suggest you get your protein in. Good luck to everyone committing to this routine!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Good job on starting Insanity! I usually do the workout at 5am about 20min after waking up. Afterwards it's a protein shake or an egg breakfast and definitely a shower ha!

I don't follow the meal plan provided and use the Polar FT4 to track calories burned during the workouts.

Good luck!
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of Insanity...technically I should be on the recovery week but last week was hectic at work so I am doing week 4 over to stay on track! I invested in a whey protein mix, I usually make a smoothie with some fruit, almond milk, etc with the whey protein after I work out. I try to work out in the morning, I have a small snack befor i work out otherwise I get drained. Some people prefer to work out on an empty stomach, it really just depends on your personal taste and what your body likes. I am estimating my calories right now, but I can tell you even after only 4 weeks I am wearing clothes I havent worn i years because they didnt fit, and when people see my legs and the definition in them now, all they can say is WOW. I love it! Some days you might wake up and be like man forget this i dont want to work out today...you got to push through that, youll feel much better when you do!
  • Kristihub
    Options
    Today I got up and about 20 minutes later had a piece of lite toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter, along with about 15oz of water. A little over an hour later I did the Plyo Cardio Circuit (oh my!!! Level 1s knocked me down!!), and drank about 15 oz H2O during the workout.
    My "recovery" shake breakfast (both days) was 2 scoops of Click Mocha powder blended with 8oz water and 4oz 1% milk, ice, a squirt of Hershey's syrup, and a banana. Hits the spot and holds me beyond "lunch time."

After the Fit Test, I didn't feel sore until the middle of the night. Today, I'm sore, but GOOD sore. LOVE IT!!!

I'm off for the summer, so Insanity IS my summer job!!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i workout early in the morning before work, so around a 5am start. cup of coffee to wake me up and i have breakfast after insanity. usually a greek yoghurt, PB and a banana