Exsessive thirt?

Options
Hello! (thirst, my bad)

I have recently been exsessivly thirsty for the past 3-4 weeks. I'm always needing water UNLESS (for some reason!) I am at training. Before I start though, and as soon as I finish I'm just chugging water all the time. It's not a general thirst, it's very extreme and I feel dizzy if I don't have water. Does anyone else experience this or is able to tell me why? I took a test on how much water your body needs, and I'm only suppose to need (a min) about 1.6 liters a day, and I generally drink about 3.5-5L.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

(I used to drink a normal amount of water before this and I don't think I've had any sudden diet changes, and certainly no exercise changes.)

(also sorry if this is the wrong forum!)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There could be all kinds of reasons why you are really thirsty (weather, diet, changes to exercise routine etc), but as it's hung around for weeks you would be wise to go to the doctor to check this out.

Drinking 5l a day does seem excessive, I don't know how high your have to go before you start throwing out your electrolyte balance, but I wouldn't be risking it. Also, excessive thirst is one of the things that I associate with diabetes, so it would be good to get that, or other medical issues ruled out.
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Thanks. I did want to go to see a docter but my mum just thinks I'm fine. I told her it could be diabetes aswell, but she that if that was the case I would be fainting :/
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    its diabetes. go see a Dr.
  • Silver14
    Options
    Ok thanks I will
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I was just about to suggest diabetes. My husband is a type 1 and he is CONSTANTLY chuggling water and running back and forth to the bathroom. Don't rule it completely out! Take care of those kidneys :)
  • binky78
    binky78 Posts: 60
    Options
    Diabetes as a possibility is the only thing that came to mind. Do you have any other issue along with it, for instance extreme hunger, over tired or sudden weight loss?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Find a bulk billing doctor and go on your own if your mum doesn't think it's a good idea.
    I don't think there are too many of them in Perth, but if you google it you should find one - your profile says you are 19, so you don't need your mum to take you.

Or, you could ring the health info line and have a chat to the nurses - that's a free call and they can ask a few more questions and advise what you should do next: 1800 022 222.
    That would be better than listening to random people on the internet (me included!)
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    nope. you wont necessarily be faint with blood sugar, it could be too high. You do need to go to doctor. You are drinking too much water. You can actually dilute your system so much it can kill you. There are many things it could be, but without lab tests it is hard to say for sure. I am a RN in a hospital and have had pt's almost die in the same perdicument that your in.
  • moesaid2
    moesaid2 Posts: 67
    Options
    You can get a quick blood sugar screening done that can help you determine if you need to go to the doctor to be tested for diabetes....call your local health department to see if they have one available. they just prick your finger and run it through the machine and it can read your blood sugar. or if you know someone who is diabetic, I'm sure they have a monitor...
  • Silver14
    Options
    Umm I haven't noticed any weight lose, and I'm usally tired from training most of the time anyway :/ I did feel really dizzy the other day though and my vision was blurred for a bit, but it hasn't happend for a week so I guess it was nothing?

Oh and I'm almost never hungry, but that's normal for me.
  • Silver14
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'll go on Sunday with my sister (she thinks I should see a docter aswell.)
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A simple blood test would rule out diabetes. You would not necessarily pass out if you were a diabetic. So I'd have that checked first.

Sometimes I feel like the more I drink the more I need. I drink a ton of water probably close to a gallon some days. It can throw your electrolytes out of whack if you are dieting and restricting your calorie intake, which could make you dizzy.

Good Luck!
  • dan1955chevy
    Options
    Test your blood. It don't cost much for the stuff. Ask the pharmacy they will help you.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You should see your Dr. They may do some blood work, or give you some ideas to try. Don't wait as it could be something more serious.
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Umm I haven't noticed any weight lose, and I'm usally tired from training most of the time anyway :/ I did feel really dizzy the other day though and my vision was blurred for a bit, but it hasn't happend for a week so I guess it was nothing?

Oh and I'm almost never hungry, but that's normal for me.

Depending on what you did before your dizzy spell and blurred vision, it could be something. Even if it's not triggered by anything, it might be a problem so if you can see a doctor about your thirst, mention those as well. It's better to hear the words "it's nothing" from a doctor than from your mom or a stranger.

But yes, there are medical conditions that cause excess thirst and there are medications that do the same thing. If you take anything aside from vitamins I'd check their side effects because even if you've been taking them for years without any side effects you still can get them later.
  • Silver14
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Will defiantly get it checked out!

(I don't take any vitamins or supplements etc :) )
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, thin and otherwise healthy people can develop type 2 diabetes. It wouldn't be my first guess given that you appear to be in good shape, but it is possible. Here's a link to an article about it.

http://chriskresser.com/think-skinny-people-dont-get-type-2-diabetes-think-again
  • Silver14
    Options
    Thanks for that! I'll read up on it :)