SUGAR is a ***** to avoid and dizzy

Kristinelizabeth
Kristinelizabeth Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
What's with all the sugar?!!! I had ONE CUP, that means 1 SERVING, of Kashi GoLean crunch cereal with a cup of skim milk. I actually went over my recommended amount of sugar intake for the day by two grams, in BREAKFAST ALONE! No wonder America is obese! Sugar is SO HARD to avoid! I hate soy milk/rice milk/almond milk, think it tastes terrible. So i gotta maybe quit cereal? I don't know...I really like the fiber, protein and whole grains I get from the Kashi though so it would suck to miss out. I feel as if sugar is like a stalking presence just waiting around every corner to get me! And the exercise I get is chasing around Shannon all day and cleaning the house. But still, I feel that's at least enough because I don't really sit down until the end of the day when I'm exhausted!

Another question I have is, can anyone tell me why I feel so lightheaded all day? I've increased my iron and lessened my caffeine and drink more water to help with the anemia, but it doesn't seem to matter. I get dizzy spells a lot too! Like a "head rush" kind of feeling whenever I bend over to pick something up or stand up too fast. I'm really praying it's nothing serious and hoping it's just malnutrition. My friend just died of a brain tumor, so it's got me thinking, ya know? The thing is, I'm totally coherent through the dizziness. I don't have any mental confusion, just feel "spacey". Does anyone have any advice for me?Thanks!-Kristine

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Quit the cereal hun! Get on a piece of toast, or I do an open face egg sandwich w/ vinegar.. and 170 cals and it'll fill you up! I still crave the b-fast cereal though, but it's so bad for anyone.!

xo
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Okay, I want to start off with I don't know a lot about this kind of thing medically, but I know what happened to me.

I used to work in a factory and in the summer it would be SOOOOO HOT!!!!! And the same dizziness, blackout type thing would happen to me. The more I sweat, the more salt my body lost. So, I made sure to have salt (not too much, by any means) and gatorade/powerade to keep my electrolytes up. I always felt MUCH better after drinking the gatorade/powerade.

(The salt thing was metioned to be by my dad as he worked in a mine back in the day, and they used to have to take salt tabs)

If this keeps up tho, I would definetely go to a doctor! It never hurts to get things checked out!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member

Another question I have is, can anyone tell me why I feel so lightheaded all day? I've increased my iron and lessened my caffeine and drink more water to help with the anemia, but it doesn't seem to matter. I get dizzy spells a lot too! Like a "head rush" kind of feeling whenever I bend over to pick something up or stand up too fast. I'm really praying it's nothing serious and hoping it's just malnutrition. My friend just died of a brain tumor, so it's got me thinking, ya know? The thing is, I'm totally coherent through the dizziness. I don't have any mental confusion, just feel "spacey". Does anyone have any advice for me?Thanks!-Kristine

Maybe it's because your body is used to so much sugar. Eat a 1/2 cup cottage cheese (about 80 cals), it really fills you up, it's good for you, adds calcuim, and has major protein. It's one of my favorite snacks, cause it makes me feel like I had a lil lunch, ya know....
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    theres nothing wrong with sugar, just how much you intake a day

If you concentrate more on your macro split (protein, carb, fat) I think you do not need to worry about sugar. I couldn't tell you the normal amount of sugar a person should meet a day, but I am losing weight by concentrating on more important things in my diet.
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    I Eat Cereal everyday! no problem with that, let me check how much sugar it has
  • You dont have to quit the cereal... you just have to pick a better one! :happy:

For example: Whole Grain Cheerios have 1 gram of sugar and only 100 calories in a cup.

Good luck!!:drinker:
  • Thanks ladies! I'm gonna try to drink even more water then I guess cuz I'm slightly allergic to the dye in Gatorade. The tracker on here says I'm not eating enough calories so that could also be the problem. But I am by no means small. I weigh 160 at 5'4" so now i'm just like, "uhhhhh????".

I'm gonna be so sad to give up cereal. It's where I get the majority of my fiber and grains! But that egg sandwich sounds so yummy right now. Probably because the last thing I ate was half a slice of pizza so the carbs are telling me to EAT EAT EAT!

Thanks for the help!
  • laneymcghee
    laneymcghee Posts: 4 Member
    I USED TO EAT RAISEN BRAN OR HONEY NUT CHEERIOS EVERY MORNING THINKING I WAS DOING GOOD...THEN, LIKE YOU, REALIZED NOT ONLY SUGAR BUT CALORIES!! SO NOWI HAVE A 100 CAL ENGLISH MUFFIN WITH EITHER SPRAY BUTTER OR OCCAISIONALLY A SPOON OF PEANUT BUTTER WHICH REALLY KEEPS ME FULL!! AND FOR THE LIGHT HEADED THING...BEEN GOING THRU THE SAME THING HERE...AND VERY BAD DRY MOUTH!! ALSO WAS THINKING SOMETHING SERIOUS SO I AM GLAD TO SEE OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM...KINDA MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD THOUGH THAT YOUR BODY IS LOOKING FOR FAT OR SUGAR AND CANT FIND IT!!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Like another poster said, you don't have to give up cereal. Just look for cereal with less sugar and more fiber, like cheerios or all bran or fiber one. Also, there is a difference between table sugar (what you put in coffee) and lactose or fructose (sugars in dairy and fruit, respectively). Table sugar and some fruits cause a big spike in your blood sugar, but dairy and some other fruits do not. (Note that this doesn't include flavored yogurt, where most of the sugar is from table sugar rather than the milk).

The dizziness sounds like postural hypotension--basically dizziness due to low blood pressure and moving from a high-low for low-high plane too quickly.
  • Eh... I don't even track my sugar. I stay away from high-fructose corn syrup or refined sugar and don't worry about it. Unless you're diabetic, as long as your sugars are at least predominantly coming from healthy places (milk, fruit, etc), a bowl of Kashi cereal won't hurt. At least it's real food from the earth rather than chemically-altered sweetness. Don't give up cereal! It's a great source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and in the case of that particular cereal - Protein! I vote enjoy your cereal!
  • mmm cheerios do kinda rule. I think i've just been avoiding them as one of those, "another thing that reminds of of parenting!" things as I've been trying to give myself some more "me" stuff, ya know? Does that sound terrible and strange? ha! yeah more than likely...anyway...

My friend Erica also mainly concentrates on fat, carbs, protein and she is doing great! If you go to your food tracking settings, you can pick specific things you want to keep an eye on besides the three mains. I picked sugar and fiber along with them. It seems to be that I go over my sugar intake everyday.
  • Lightheadedness, dizzyness and spacey feeling? Makes me think of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or low blood pressure or even high blood pressure. You may be eating too little and going into ketosis which can cause those symptoms. Especially if you're on a low carb diet. You can check it at home with ketostix. You can get a free automated BP test at certain drugstores. I suggest seeing your doctor if these symptoms persist.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    uhm...Im still running with the theory Ive heard all my life that sugar gets burned off throughout the day. But thats just how I was raised and what I was told in health classes. No ones gonna change my mind on that one lol

as far as lightheadedness Id have to agree about the salt theory. Ive found that a lot of things are solved by a bit of gatorade or a few tortilla chips. Its weird. Salty things have even helped my headaches.
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    well i figured out that i am too eating lots of suggar than i should.
    But still i keep lowering my weight.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    when are you eating and what are you eating? You should be eating about every 2 hours to get your metabobolism up... it does sound like low blood sugar. Publish your food diary and we can take a look at it and give you suggestions.

Recommended processed sugar for an adult is not to exceed 40g/day. Not sure what yours is set on. That doesn't count fruit, as that's natural sugar.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Thanks ladies! I'm gonna try to drink even more water then I guess cuz I'm slightly allergic to the dye in Gatorade.

It is not just the water, it is making sure you are not diluting the important salts in your body to much. This can be a sign of over-hydrated as well as dehydrated. Things like Emergen-C and Lemons can help with electrolytes if gatorade doesn't work for you. I cut up fresh lemons and put them in my water. It changes things up and helps keep feeling hydrated.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Maybe you could find a new favorite cereal? I, of course, wouldn't give up my fave cereal if it came right down to it, but I have no will when it comes to stuff like that. Sugar is my nemesis! The sugars you don't have to worry so much about are the milk sugars and fruit sugars (from whole fruit, not juices).
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    I didn't even think about the sugar. I eat honey nut cheerios every morning. One cup with 1/2 cup of 2% milk. As long as I stay within my calorie range and am losing weight, I am not going to worry too much about it. :happy:

208998.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    I eat oatmeal with 1/4 of a teaspoon of coconut oil, fresh fruit and a sprinkle of almonds. I'm thinking about trying it with flaxseed. I used to not like oatmeal and would add a ton of molasses or brown sugar to make it palatible but I discovered that with coconut oil I don't need to sweeten it and the extra bit of fat keeps me satiated longer and helps prevent a blood sugar spike.

As far as tracking my sugar, I stopped. I ALWAYS went over even after I cut out all added sugars. Now I just make sure I pair high sugar foods, like fruit, with a high protein/fat food. My morning snack today was grapes with half a serving of walnuts.

I had a similar problem with getting dizzy. When I upped my sodium intake, it went away. I'm still under 2,500 mg a day though.
  • again, this has been so helpful! Love the community on here!
This discussion has been closed.