If every day were like today... you would weigh...

Options
I see this on the bottom of my food for the day...Do you think its very accurate?

Replies

• Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would say yes it is. That's why they calculate it?
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    One day it had a glitch, and it said I would weight 0 pounds. LOL
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering for a while now so I've started to record what it says everyday and then in 5 weeks (from last Monday) I'll see where I end up :)
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Yes and I like that they do it, It's motivational!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Never. I can honestly say it was never correct for me.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It's an estimate. MFP doesn't know how each individual body works. Don't take it to be the absolute truth.
  • jgilbey
    jgilbey Posts: 79
    Options
    I guess it could be... but who eats the same thing every day for 5 weeks? Maybe some people.. I am always a good 200-300 cal difference each day.
  • lalyon4
    lalyon4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether it is correct or not, though i dont see why it wouldnt be
    that being said, how could you possibly repeat every meal and work out routine for 5 weeks? it seems impossible, so i tihnk the whole thing is a bit silly. perhaps a good guideline, but silly.
  • diannk1974
    diannk1974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking what it says and out of the last 13 wks, I've weighed less than it says I would 11 of the 13 wks. Yes, I think it's pretty accurate.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering for a while now so I've started to record what it says everyday and then in 5 weeks (from last Monday) I'll see where I end up :)

yes but can you get everyday to be "like today" from 5 weeks ago?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no it's not accurate lol .. well it's accurate on paper. in practice i think we all know weight loss isnt always linear
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I never put much thought when it says I will be lighter but one day after piggin out it said I would be about 5 lbs heavier and it was an eye opener.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    YOu would have to do EXACTLY what you did for the day EVERY DAY for the next 5 weeks.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No....its been saying I should weight 10 pounds less than I do.
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It simply is a calculation of how much you would weigh in 5 weeks if on every day during that period you had the same calorie deficit. It's the same basic calculation that they use to tell you that if you want to lose 2 pounds per week you need a calorie deficit of 1000 cals per day, which they calculate for you given their estimate of your BMR and then they set a calorie target designed to give you that level of calorie deficit.

When you finalize your day and it tells you that you would lose a certain amount of weight in 5 weeks, I have no doubt that it would be roughly accurate over time if you generally maintained the same calorie deficit every day. You could have the same calorie deficit even if you eat eat more or fewer calories each day so long as your total calorie deficit from your food intake and physical activity is the same.

In short, I don't think they intend it to be a prediction of what you actually will do every day for 5 weeks. But it is very helpful and encouraging to me because it shows me in a very understandable way what the impact would be if I have days similar to the one I just had in terms of total calorie deficit. If I have a good day I can immediately see that repeating that level of calorie deficit generally will have the kind of weight loss effect I want, and so it encourages me to repeat that behavior. Similarly, if I don't do so well, I immediately see an estimate of how much slower my progress will be if I have many more days like that. That's helpful to me and I strongly suspect that's exactly what they want it to do, no more, no less.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    One day it had a glitch, and it said I would weight 0 pounds. LOL

Lol I had that once too!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it isn't correct for me.
    silly calories.
  • islandgirl1984
    islandgirl1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, but it's motivating so I appreciate the calculation regardless.
  • marms01
    marms01 Posts: 2
    Options
    It's just a guideline to give you an idea of where you are headed if you eat too much or too little.
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It was accurate for me for about 9 weeks then I hit a plateau and it's been the same 3 lbs up & down for the last 6 weeks. I kept track every day but I guess it can't track a &:!;$@! plateau. Anyway, I use it as an incentive of hope for the future. Or a warning when I go over cals.