Low Carb or Atkins people

Options
Hello All,

I am attempting to complete the Atkins diet. I have tried everything thing else and nothing has worked. There are people in my life that have accomplished it with success so i'm hoping this will be the last diet that I'm ever on. I was wondering if you could help me with great low carb meals and snacks that didn't involve pork or beef. I also would like it if you could share some of your struggles and how you overcame them. Today is day 3 of my induction phase and I really want some pizza and chips and salsa.

Any advice will help me

Thanks in advance

Replies

• barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Lioness will surely be checking in shortly! :love:
    She is our resident Atkins Queen! uh-huh! :flowerforyou:

I haven't done Atkins, but I avoid processed foods like chips, cereal, cookies etc. :cry:
    My cravings go way down when I eat brown rice, quinoa & other healthy grains instead.

Good luck to you! :drinker: :heart:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hi there! :flowerforyou:

First of all, I would like to invite you to the 'Low Carber's Thread' which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63325-low-carb-ers-challenge-to-choose-change

We are a big group of people dedicated to living a low carb lifestyle the healthy way. :bigsmile:

As for meal/snack ideas that don't involve pork or beef, I love chicken! One of my favorites (its a quick prep, but long cook time) is chicken sprinkled with pepper & Ms Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning at 350, covered with tin foil for an hour. YUM.

For snacks I like a serving of nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts etc), a serving of pepperoni slices, a piece of string cheese, veggies of course etc.

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • jamieguin
    jamieguin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I logged onto MFP after regaining weight that I had taken off with Atkins after my first child was born and then South Beach after my second child was born. Both diets work, but the weight comes back on when you start eating carbs again. It became unrealistic for me to give them all up. I was getting ready to spend money on a nutritionist because I thought that there was something physically wrong with me that stopped me from losing weight. Anyway, I signed onto MFP and found myself losing weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie limit and I can eat everything as long as my calories balance out in the end. Good luck with whatever plan you choose, but you may not need to give anything up if you just stick to MFP's daily calorie intake, drink 8 glasses of water a day, eat throughout the day and add exercise.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I logged onto MFP after regaining weight that I had taken off with Atkins after my first child was born and then South Beach after my second child was born. Both diets work, but the weight comes back on when you start eating carbs again. It became unrealistic for me to give them all up. I was getting ready to spend money on a nutritionist because I thought that there was something physically wrong with me that stopped me from losing weight. Anyway, I signed onto MFP and found myself losing weight as long as I stayed within my daily calorie limit and I can eat everything as long as my calories balance out in the end. Good luck with whatever plan you choose, but you may not need to give anything up if you just stick to MFP's daily calorie intake, drink 8 glasses of water a day, eat throughout the day and add exercise.

There's definitely a balance. You can lower your carbs for health reasons, but it has to be a permanent state in order for you not to gain the weight back and then some. The only way to lose weight is to eat within your calories. That's goal #1.

If you are a carb addict (I was) it will take roughly 2 weeks for your body to detoxify and get over the high carbs it's used to. During that time, you literally have to white knuckle it, but it will go away. I used to be a bread/pasta person and I rarely eat those things anymore, ever. I find I am not interested in it and will look for something else to eat - and I used to eat it at every meal!
  • tjones7
    tjones7 Posts: 306
    Options
    THank everyone for responding. I didn't make it on the atkins. I'm not a bread eater but the foods I do like have cards in it like yogurt, fruit, cetain veggies. I just found it harder than counting calories.