How Would You Handle This?

Options
Say you had a "friend" that you didn't really know, but you were concerned with how they were dieting - eating less than 1,000 calories per day, exercising off more calories than are being taken in, etc. Would you say something? Leave it be? On one hand I feel badly that I don't encourage them, but on the other I just want to say "Hey, I think you're setting yourself up for a health issue here." I'm really at a loss as to what to do with that. :o(

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Recommend they go see a doctor/nutritionist to discuss their diet plan. Don't say that's because they're doing it wrong. But because you've heard that can really help making sure you stick with the plan and don't start yoyo-ing. While your friend might not listen to you for dieting advice hopefully she would listen to a professional. And at the same time you're encouraging her in her weight loss.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I maintain a strict policy of minding my own dmn business. If an opinion is sought out then i've got em to give; otherwise I let folks live their lives.
    So long and short i'd leave the person alone.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I say something.
    I have several long time friends on here who just didnt know what they were doing.
    Point them to a site like Fat To Fit where they can use the tools and really see how much they can be eating to lose weight.
    Once they bottom out the hormonal response it a fast road to skinny fat country.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I maintain a strict policy of minding my own dmn business. If an opinion is sought out then i've got em to give; otherwise I let folks live their lives.
    So long and short i'd leave the person alone.
    ^^This.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I realyl don't see a problem with what they're doing- what works for you isn't what automatically works for others.
  • rexzmumu
    rexzmumu Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    hey! I thought i would chime in on this one. I am using mfp to track my food but not to track calories. I am doing Michael Therman's six week body makeover and it requests that i track my food so i know which foods are working for me.(example: brown rice slows down my weightloss, where sweet potatoes are good) The plan is about what kind of foods you eat and when you eat them. I average 700-900 calories a day. First time i tracked it on this and saw the calories i about freaked, but i am eating 6 times a day 3 full meals and 3 snacks. 90% of the time i am not hungry because i eat every 2.5-3 hrs. But this is not the same as i want to continue to eat. I believe i am a binge eater once i start i dont like to stop but this is teaching me portion control and mental disipline - slowly, im hard headed. Hope this might help a little. Good luck in your journey and i under stand what you mean completely, and your concern shows you are a good kind hearted person.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Say you had a "friend" that you didn't really know

Since you don't really know this person, I'd keep it to myself unless you're directly asked.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input! I think I'll just leave it be. :o)
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Good question, good answers. These are really tough situations.

I've only made suggestions when someone comments that they are tired, they are trying to reset their calories or in a plateau. Then I share my experience with how eating more calories has been successful for me. I hope that I'm being helpful for my friends, and hope that they'll do the same for me when I need it.