Getting frustrated

Options
debi_f
debi_f Posts: 330 Member
I know, I know... 5 days is nothing to panic about, but well, I'm panicking!

I've been so good about sticking to my diet since I started in Feb. I've managed to lose 40+ pounds, and I feel great! (And I know I look so much better, too.)

But these past five days, I've been watching my weight creep back up. I now weigh 3 pounds more than I did last week, and I'm terrified that I'll gain everything back! I've logged everything I eat, kept away from the bad snacks, eaten fruit, veg and lean protein, come in slightly below my calorie allowance...

I've even managed to get to the gym every single day for the past several weeks.

And I'm gaining weight!

Sure, it could be muscle vs. fat. Or it could be water retention. It's not TOM. I just know that I wanted to cry when I stepped on the scale this morning. This is really the first time I've been so frustrated since starting this journey.

Thanks for letting me vent. ;-)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I know, I know... 5 days is nothing to panic about, but well, I'm panicking!

I've been so good about sticking to my diet since I started in Feb. I've managed to lose 40+ pounds, and I feel great! (And I know I look so much better, too.)

But these past five days, I've been watching my weight creep back up. I now weigh 3 pounds more than I did last week, and I'm terrified that I'll gain everything back! I've logged everything I eat, kept away from the bad snacks, eaten fruit, veg and lean protein, come in slightly below my calorie allowance...

I've even managed to get to the gym every single day for the past several weeks.

And I'm gaining weight!

Sure, it could be muscle vs. fat. Or it could be water retention. It's not TOM. I just know that I wanted to cry when I stepped on the scale this morning. This is really the first time I've been so frustrated since starting this journey.

Thanks for letting me vent. ;-)
    It's water retention. If you're in calorie deficit, you aren't building muscle. May also be time to revamp your exercise program if you haven't in a couple of months.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kateblue72
    kateblue72 Posts: 113
    Options
    Perhaps don't step on the scale ..... measure yourself? You know that what you are doing does work, so perhaps it is just a 'blip'. Don't stress out about it .... that alone can cause weight 'gain'! Also, might be a time to get out your food scale & meauring cups, just to check out the portion sizes. I know I need to do that every once in a while .... sizes tend to increase ever so slightly. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • debi_f
    Options
    Is it possible to be dehydrated *and* retaining water at the same time?

I don't add salt or pepper to anything anymore, though I know salt is there hiding in some of the other things I use (such as hot mustard and salad seasoning -- though the seasoning isn't bad, because I've checked it). I rarely drink water (stuff just makes me gag), but I did manage to get two cups down yesterday.

But what about the other days? My weight has been creeping up for 5 days straight, and yesterday was the only time I drank water.

Sorry for being to whiny, but I'm just stumped. What can I do to stop this trend?
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to be dehydrated *and* retaining water at the same time?
    Not drinking enough will cause you body to retain water, so Yes it is possible to be both dehydrated and to be retaining. Drink more water, drink enough that your wee is pale straw coloured and profuse.
  • Cmnielson
    Cmnielson Posts: 2
    Options
    have you checked how much protien you are getting. Your body may be saying it does not have the building blocks it needs if you are active. if you are coming in low on cals every day it may also be slowing your metabolism. I recently saw a nutritionist and she recomended that every few days do some more exercise and have a slightly bigger meal focusing on lean protien. it has helped now after lifting I do have a small extra meal of protien and like a peach and it has helped.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There's no way you gained 3 pounds of fat and/or muscle in 5 days. Unless you've been going to an all you can eat 3 day buffet half way through.

It's just physically impossible. Which leaves some other possibilities: water retention, constipation, that time of the month. But not gaining 3 pounds of fat or muscle. Just can't happen.
  • debi_f
    Options
    Okay, time to stop whining and get positive.

So far, I've managed to drink 3 cups of water (well, not cup/cups, but coffee mugs) with a bit of lemon to help it go down. I ate my normal breakfast of turkey lunch meat on lettuce and after the gym (30 mins of cardio), I had an Atkins wheat cracker with 1/2 tbls of peanut butter.

Lunch will be a salad (no meat) and more water.

I'll tackle dinner later this afternoon.

This will work, right? ;-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations happen. Hopefully you realise by now from the above comments that you haven't gained 3 lbs of fat (or muscle), so just keep doing what you're doing, give it time, and it will go down again. Keep drinking water, but you don't need to do anything special to get rid of it. There are so many different variables that determines your weight on the scale any given day. How often do you weigh? If you are weighing weekly or monthly, chances are that you've had these fluctuations before, but not noticed them because the scale has gone down again by the time you come to weigh. I weigh every day, and have gone up a few pounds many times since January (and 90 % of the time I'd been completely on track with calories). It always goes down again just as quickly. Other times I seem to lose more than I would expect. Scale-weight isn't something we have complete control over, so just try to forget about it and carry on as you are. If you normally eat meat for lunch, no need to cut it out today just because of the scale. Just keep at it, you're doing really well!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    So much good advice here!
  • debi_f
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Really...thank you.

I weigh in everyday, and that's probably the bulk of my problem. It's just that I've never had so many "up" days in a row before -- each time I've gone up one day, it comes off by the next. I track it mostly to see those types of fluctuations and be able to anticipate when they happen (TOM, etc.).

This time is just weird, and it hit me hard this morning. Now that I've had time to think about it, read all the great advice above and plan a day of low-cal, tasty meals, I'm feeling much better.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    if you've been at it a month...it sounds like your first stall or plateau. my first stall lasted 6 weeks n i did see a gain but i continued doing as a i should n then i started losing again.... you will too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and what is your exercise routine, I didn't see it. It's hard to get any diagnoses because in five days, your body is just adapting. I fluctuate 5-10 lbs daily.
  • wordwranglernc
    Options
    I suggest changing up your exercise routine and upping your protein intake as well as water intake. Our bodies do get used to our exercise routines. If you bike a lot, maybe walk for a week. If you walk a lot, maybe add some jogging to it. Add strength training a few days a week if you haven't done that yet.

Just a few suggestions. You may already be doing them. If so, just hold tight to the knowledge that it WILL come off!