Need help designing a routine please.

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
A little back ground first; started mfp at 5'4", 97lbs with the intention to gain. After About 10 weeks I managed to get up to 106lbs and have decided to try to maintain for the summer and get back to a bulk next winter. I made it hard on myself by bulking and exercising at the same time and I won't do that next time. Now before anyone jumps up my butt about my low weight, please look at my pics, I am not sickly, nor do I have an ED, I just have a very fast metabolism and don't gain weight easily.

Now I am trying to maintain, I'm on about 2000 a day and eat back my exercise calories. It might still be a slight surplus, but only time will tell. My bulk has left me a little pudgy around the middle. My goal is to maintain the weight as much as possible, I would like to gain muscle and trim some fat at the same time, so essentially get leaner. I have no idea about this stuff but I'm not sure I can do these things together, as i understand I need a surplus for muscle gain, and a deficite for leaning.

I am trying to lift heavy (similar to NROL4W, but please don't reccomend that book I found it so patronizing) , and do circuit training a few days a week too. I have looked into insanity, and considered doing that, or a modified version of it with lifting days also included. What I would really like is some advice on what sort of program I can design for myself. I don't go to a gym but do have access to free weights.

Thanks in advance.

ETA; my macros are a little off, I'm still getting the hang of eating less, I am trying to eat 1-1.5g of protein per lean weight each day though (so between 80-120+ g a day)

Replies

• dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    A little back ground first; started mfp at 5'4", 97lbs with the intention to gain. After About 10 weeks I managed to get up to 106lbs and have decided to try to maintain for the summer and get back to a bulk next winter. I made it hard on myself by bulking and exercising at the same time and I won't do that next time. Now before anyone jumps up my butt about my low weight, please look at my pics, I am not sickly, nor do I have an ED, I just have a very fast metabolism and don't gain weight easily.

Now I am trying to maintain, I'm on about 2000 a day and eat back my exercise calories. It might still be a slight surplus, but only time will tell. My bulk has left me a little pudgy around the middle. My goal is to maintain the weight as much as possible, I would like to gain muscle and trim some fat at the same time, so essentially get leaner. I have no idea about this stuff but I'm not sure I can do these things together, as i understand I need a surplus for muscle gain, and a deficite for leaning.

I am trying to lift heavy (similar to NROL4W, but please don't reccomend that book I found it so patronizing) , and do circuit training a few days a week too. I have looked into insanity, and considered doing that, or a modified version of it with lifting days also included. What I would really like is some advice on what sort of program I can design for myself. I don't go to a gym but do have access to free weights.

Thanks in advance.

What is your overall goal? do you want to widen your back, add thickness to existing width? To answer your question, you can do a lean bulk and gain a little muscle while gaining minimal bodyfat, but with a surplus you will almost always gain fat if you are gaining muscle. You could do a recomp type diet to keep bodyfat gain minimal which would be eating about 400 over maintenance on training days and 300 under on rest days. If you'd like i can help you with a back workout routine.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    I would like to build up back and shoulders and add width, build up legs, and slim waist, bring out some abs a little to hopefully create a slightly more feminin but strong look , right now I'm very straight up and down (narrow hips), and pretty wussy looking, Any advice right now would be helpful, but i will say I lose weight very fast below 1600, and probably wouldn't really want to eat below 17-1800 consistantly.

Thanks so much.

Thanks in advance.

What is your overall goal? do you want to widen your back, add thickness to existing width? To answer your question, you can do a lean bulk and gain a little muscle while gaining minimal bodyfat, but with a surplus you will almost always gain fat if you are gaining muscle. You could do a recomp type diet to keep bodyfat gain minimal which would be eating about 400 over maintenance on training days and 300 under on rest days. If you'd like i can help you with a back workout routine.
  • dusty8907
    Options
    Need to know what type of equipment you have access to? db's, barbells, bars for pull ups, things like this.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Need to know what type of equipment you have access to? db's, barbells, bars for pull ups, things like this.

Dumbells and barbell, thinking of getting a pull up bar, but not sure my door frames can Handel it, have access to a playground though that i could use as a pull up bar.
  • dusty8907
    Options

Dumbells and barbell, thinking of getting a pull up bar, but not sure my door frames can Handel it, have access to a playground though that i could use as a pull up bar.

Bent Over Barbell Rows
    5sets x 5-8 reps (1-2 sets of light warmups)

Wide grip pullups (if possible)
    3 sets to failure

DB Shrugs
    3 sets x 15-20

Bent Over DB Rowes
    3 sets x 10-15

This is pure back, if you would like you could add in some shoulder movements to make it a more solid day and do these also:

Seated Military Press
    3 sets x 5-8 reps (2 warmup sets)

Seated Dumbell Press
    3 sets x 8-12 reps

Side Lateral raises supersetted with Front Raises
    3 sets to failure of each

Just a reccommendation for what you have to work with. Could do more, or less depending on time and also depending if you had other equipment at your disposal.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thank you! Out of curisoty, what is the difference between doing standing mil presses/DB presses and seated ones?

Bent Over Barbell Rows

3 sets to failure

DB Shrugs
    3 sets x 15-20

Bent Over DB Rowes
    3 sets x 10-15

This is pure back, if you would like you could add in some shoulder movements to make it a more solid day and do these also:

Seated Military Press

Seated Dumbell Press
    3 sets x 8-12 reps

Just a reccommendation for what you have to work with. Could do more, or less depending on time and also depending if you had other equipment at your disposal.
  • dusty8907
    Options
    Thank you! Out of curisoty, what is the difference between doing standing mil presses/DB presses and seated ones?

Bent Over Barbell Rows

3 sets to failure

DB Shrugs
    3 sets x 15-20

Bent Over DB Rowes
    3 sets x 10-15

Seated Military Press

Seated Dumbell Press
    3 sets x 8-12 reps

Standing will incorporate more stability muscles, while sitting will help you focus on the muscles being worked in the excercise. Hope I helped :)
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump. i was needing to know a routine structured just like this. thanks for posting! [: